Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Docsis costs, ref docsis4.  (Read 1690 times)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
Docsis costs, ref docsis4.
« on: April 12, 2022, 12:36:38 AM »

Given the informed reply from Reformed to my question in the VM giga1 thread, I have now expanded my curiosity.

It is interesting to read that the VM press release states a docsis4 upgrade would not be a fraction of a FTTP overbuild cost, but at a whopping 60%.

Whilst 40% is still a lot of money, its not a mystery why they made the FTTP decision as there will be financial gains from that later.

So my question is, where do the costs all come from.  I recognise there is likely new equipment to be purchased, backhaul upgrades, and work done to improve the noise levels on the infrastructure.  But was surprised to see that costs a big chunk of what actually laying new cables would cost.

If anyone with the answers could answer, I would be grateful.

Reformed

• Reg Member
Re: Docsis costs, ref docsis4.
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2022, 12:14:03 PM »

They'd have to replace amplifiers and optical nodes in cabinets, push fibre deeper into the network in the field, upgrade power supplies to feed the new actives, and finally replace a bunch of passive infrastructure both in the access network and within homes: taps, splitters and isolators.

The coaxial is good to 3 GHz and is about the only thing that wouldn't need replacing.

EDIT: https://youtu.be/bOAjzKY51-I

Timestamp 19:04. 4.0 would need all the upgrades to go to 1.7 GHz, less some of the node splits though there would still be some to keep return path noise down and reduce need for so many line amplifiers as 1.7 GHz attenuates way more than 1 GHz over distance.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2022, 12:19:49 PM by Reformed »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2022, 12:16:19 PM »

The coaxial is good to 3 GHz and is about the only thing that wouldn't need replacing.

Assuming its all in good condition, which from the sounds of it some isn't.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Reformed

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2022, 12:27:41 PM »

Those are business as usual network maintenance not upgrade. No doubt a fair few dubious cable connections would be found and require repair but main issue on VM's network is RF ingress.