Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Internet in Ukraine  (Read 1616 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Internet in Ukraine
« on: April 11, 2022, 11:47:15 PM »

I heard about the delivery of Starlink to Ukraine, the Elon Musk LEO satellite internet system that you all told me about. I was wondering how much of the country’s optical and copper networks are functional and how many people in Ukraine are with or without internet access.

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: Internet in Ukraine
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2022, 11:57:48 PM »

The Ukrainian uj22s have a very familiar brand inside them.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2022, 06:01:39 AM »

I've visited a few Ukraine sites the last few weeks that were still up, though no idea if they are actually hosted in Ukraine (though I think a traceroute said it was).

I was surprised as I kinda expected Russia would kill anything that might be able to broadcast the truth of what is happening to the world.

I know I used to browse io.ua as it had some nice high resolution photos, which disappeared at some point in the last year or so, probably unrelated.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2022, 02:18:58 PM »

Quote from: MikroTik
MikroTik’s humanitarian aid to Ukraine exceeds EUR 300 000

As the brave people of Ukraine continue to suffer, we pledge to keep doing our
part. MikroTik has provided over 300 000 EUR worth of networking devices to
the humanitarian efforts. This includes setting up network connections in bomb
shelters and crisis centres of Ukraine, as well as refugee facilities in Poland and
Romania.

“We’ve received many requests to help with secure connectivity from Lviv,
Poltava, Kharkiv, Odesa, Zhytomyr, and other regions. Our lionhearted distributors
and partners in Ukraine are setting up Internet in temporary shelters, schools, and
hospitals. The same goes on in Romania and Poland, with more refugee camps
being set up by the day. We’ve been sending equipment to Siret, Isaccea, Albita,
Baia Mare, Brasov, and other places” explains Martins Kengis, regional Sales
manager for Eastern Europe incl. Ukraine.

https://www.mt.lv/News105
« Last Edit: April 12, 2022, 04:10:34 PM by burakkucat »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2022, 11:32:53 PM »

I suppose that depends upon location, but apparently most of the infrastructure is still up. 

Although its a few weeks out of date, there's a decent article here with opinions from experts about this topic
https://www.defenseone.com/threats/2022/03/why-ukraines-internet-still-perhaps-because-invaders-need-it/362854/.

I mentions Starlink, which the Russians immediately targetted.  Yet they leave existing alone seems to me to strengthen the idea that they are using the existing equipment for their own aims.

As an aside the overwhelming spam attacks to this forum over the past 6 months is coming from Russia and the Ukraine..   that's not diminished and the bot like activity from both those countries still exceed what is coming from else where/
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2022, 08:21:46 AM »

Its amazing how many automated attacks go on without people realising.  My NAS/Servers logs used to be absolutely full of entries trying to either crack my SSH password or exploit vulnerabilities on software running on my web server, until I switched to pfSense and region blocked incoming connections at the router instead.

Unfortunately I can't remember what regions were the worst, its been a long time, but they were regions I'd never need to connect from so an easy fix to block them.

I congratulate you on wanting to keep the forum open to all, if it were me I'd be awfully tempted to just block those regions.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2022, 08:55:07 AM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors