Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Alternatives to Huawei  (Read 2321 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Alternatives to Huawei
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2022, 06:06:06 PM »

Bump

What about alternative suppliers of 4G USB ‘dongle’-type NICs ?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2022, 06:06:34 PM »

I find it all rather hypocritical when numerous countries are far from innocent when it comes to already having involved some of their own network/comms providers and electronics/engineering companies to spy on their behalf.  NSA has been found guilty several times using network providers to obtain intelligence data and illegal surveillance. 

Anyone who believes only certain countries have the potential to spy is pretty naive.  It's not conspiracy theory stuff to believe that any/all countries have the potential to enlist the help network providers and equipment manufacturers under the guise of being patriotic. It is a conspiracy theory if you think only one or two countries have the potential.

As I said in my previous post this has been bubbling for many years, and as B*cat said it's rose to the surface again when Trump was in power.  Trump has a thing about China.  You can tell by the way he pronounced the name when talking about  covid. Trump also has a thing about Russia and Putin, but this time its more like a strange love affair when your eyes are blinkered at how destructive they can be. The result is Americans who deny Russia's interference in the 2016 US elections and believe 2020 results were rigged. They believe Fox & RT and have a weird concept about what Communism really is.  It also seemed to take away some of the heat away from what was happening with Snowden.... oh and you had the UK newly Brexited and looking at forming new trade deals.  Here was an opportunity for Trump not wanting the UK to use Huawei and force us to steer clear of Chinese equip.   This last sentence comes out stronger than I mean it to be but Im struggling to find the right word(s)...  so before things get too jumbly,  I'll just say that any country has the ability so the reminder is you have to consider who your allies are.

There is also one stonking big problem in that as far as equipment for the infrastructure Huawei currently leads and has the more advanced technology.  Stripping out everything would be time consuming & costly... and put us further behind by several years.

When it comes to home consumer equipment, then the choice is extremely limited when most manufacturing is done in China.  :(   

[B*cat edited to remove the unintended markup code.]
« Last Edit: April 11, 2022, 06:13:25 PM by burakkucat »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2022, 08:24:47 AM »

When it comes to home consumer equipment, then the choice is extremely limited when most manufacturing is done in China.  :(   

Precisely - I just looked on the back of my in use Zyxel VMG8924-B10A and the spare VMG1312-B10A I have in a cupboard - both have 'Made in China' on the back. It's next to impossible to get away from that.
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2022, 12:24:46 PM »

Precisely - I just looked on the back of my in use Zyxel VMG8924-B10A and the spare VMG1312-B10A I have in a cupboard - both have 'Made in China' on the back. It's next to impossible to get away from that.

Heck, my pfSense appliance is made directly by a Chinese company.  A lot of people are buying Chinese brand phones because they're cheaper than the big brands.  If they have any back-doors, it might be more complicated than on core routers but they have plenty of avenues to snoop from the edge.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2022, 01:27:13 PM »

Bump

The highest speed 4G dongle is the ZTE Softbank 403ZT, max speeds of Peak DL 187.5Mbps / UL 37.5Mbps if you had your own mobile mast:
* Network bands

- AXGP system: Band 41(2.5GHz)
- FDD-LTE system: Band 1/3/8/25 (800MHz/900MHz/1.7GHz/1.9GHz/2.1GHz)
- WCDMA system (850/900/2100MHz)
- GSM system (850/900/1800/1900MHz)

It's USB 2.0, and CAT6, everything else is CAT3 100/50 or CAT4 150/50.

It's a chinese manufacturer, but a Qualcomm chipset, unlike Huawei who make their own Balong chipsets.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2022, 04:38:00 PM »

The highest speed 4G dongle is the ZTE Softbank 403ZT, . . .

Currently available (Apr. 12, 2022) for £22.15 on AliExpress.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2022, 04:52:01 PM »

Currently available (Apr. 12, 2022) for £22.15

wow, that's gone up in price!
Pages: 1 [2]