Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: FTTP Installation  (Read 2392 times)

art37

FTTP Installation
« on: April 09, 2022, 12:29:25 PM »

Forgive me if this has been asked many times before. FTTP ordering in my postcode went active last Monday and I placed an order the same day. The ISP has been sent confirmation that an order has been placed with OR, but the silence since then has been deafening. I clearly don't understand the FTTP ordering process: is this normal?

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
Re: FTTP Installation
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2022, 01:20:41 PM »

I waited some 5 weeks for OR to confirm a date, down to local resource availability I think

Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2022, 03:37:16 PM »

As "g3uiss" has advised, it's very much dependant on OR's resources in your particular area regardless of the ISP you have chosen.
With FTTP already being available in my area for close to a year, I placed an order with BT (migrating from Zen) on 01/02 this year and received a provisional install date of 24/02 which unfortunately never went to "confirmed" state by OR, the order somehow ended up cancelled then re-instated by BT with new install date of 24/03, this date was confirmed and the fibre install went ahead.

In the same area, my son's FTTP UG installation took close to 3 months with many visits by OR and their sub-contractors due to duct blockage issues.
My daughter's FTTP installation, again UG, all went completely to plan within 3 weeks, all be it, the CBT chamber is in her front garden!
So, it appears to be very much luck of the draw regarding available resources at any given time in a particular area and any possible logistical complications that could arise!   
BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

redanalog

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2022, 09:31:49 PM »

Might be worth giving your ISP for an update.
FTTP & Copper Engineer

art37

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2022, 03:29:40 PM »

Update. Last Monday, OR provided an update to say that they couldn’t offer an installation date. A further update from OR was due yesterday but this seems to have gone into the ‘post Easter things to do’ basket.

I did though get a knock on my door on Wednesday morning. There were two OR vans on my drive, and 2 very pleasant young guys spent 30 minutes running fibre from an underground chamber to a new CSP.

I guess that the guys fitting the ONT are from a separate part of OR!

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2022, 06:21:12 PM »

Sometimes they do in one vist as in my case, but I hear more that it’s two visits. Having got that far I would expect the ONT will be fitted very soon.
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

redanalog

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2022, 07:05:44 PM »

It sounds like there was an issue with the infrastructure.

From what I've read above and what I've experienced in the field, it sounds like a heavy civils crew (licenced to work on public and private grounds) have been tasked to bring the fibre to your CSP. Most heavy civils crews are not trained in splicing, so now it needs an engineer to install your ONT. I know diaries are damn tight at the minute in my area so it's gonna take a bit of time.
FTTP & Copper Engineer

antsly

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2022, 02:24:42 PM »

I'd just like to echo that openreach seem to be massively overbooked across the country and share my experience.

I placed my order on the 22nd of March, the provisional date for the first appointment was scheduled to be the 12th of April and the final install was supposed to be tomorrow.

Since the date of the first appointment just kept moving to the next day. The worst part is whoever put in the upgrade did it as a home move for some odd reason rather than an upgrade, so my VDSL service was scheduled to be shut off tomorrow, leaving me without internet. I finally rang BT yesterday as I was worried I was going to be without internet for an extended period of time.

They've had to move my "moving out" date to the 1st of June to make sure my service wasn't cut off. I've been assured this won't push back the actual work to install FTTP however I'm not confident that this is the case.

EDIT: I suspect actually that my delay could also be do to traffic management being required, although that seems excessive to cross a single road...
« Last Edit: April 21, 2022, 02:43:41 PM by antsly »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2022, 03:29:39 PM »

EDIT: I suspect actually that my delay could also be do to traffic management being required, although that seems excessive to cross a single road...

Its my understanding that traffic management can indeed have a long lead time, unless its an emergency for say gas/electric.

This is what worries me about my side of the road getting hooked up too, as they have to lay a duct across the road to reach my pole.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

antsly

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2022, 03:46:52 PM »

Its my understanding that traffic management can indeed have a long lead time, unless its an emergency for say gas/electric.

This is what worries me about my side of the road getting hooked up too, as they have to lay a duct across the road to reach my pole.

I guess I'll go back to keeping an eye on one.network, I thought I'd seen the last of it :D

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2022, 03:54:29 PM »

I guess I'll go back to keeping an eye on one.network, I thought I'd seen the last of it :D

Speaking of, I just checked and the route to my pole has just shown up which is exciting.  The strange thing is, its showing "No carriageway incursion" which I don't see how that is possible, its direct in ground cabling right now, surely they HAVE to dig up the road?  I suppose perhaps there is a duct further down the road so they can take a different route to the copper line.

This should be interesting, as it says its in the Application stage but the date as 26 Apr - 28 Apr.  I can't see them getting permission that quickly if they did have to dig the road, but if they indeed don't, maybe it wont take long.  Though I'd imagine the speed will vary from council to council.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2022, 04:02:51 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

antsly

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2022, 05:08:50 PM »

Does anyone perhaps know for a KCI2 Assure install, with traffic management required whether Openreach will come and look first to see if traffic management is actually required or not? I'm wondering if they'll bother to come and look at all before they've organised traffic management with the council.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2022, 06:12:48 PM »

Does anyone perhaps know for a KCI2 Assure install, with traffic management required whether Openreach will come and look first to see if traffic management is actually required or not? I'm wondering if they'll bother to come and look at all before they've organised traffic management with the council.

As part of the original manual survey by the OR Field Based Co-ordinator (FBC) .... every individual premises has to have a survey network note (SNN marker) logged against it. The whole PON would not get through the final commissioning stage until this mandatory action is satisfied.

There's approximately 20+ SNN markers last I looked, and if it says TM is required against your premises then it absolutely should be required. Once a PON has been commissioned our own internal auditors will check the quality of the build, plus other stuff including SNN markers. Woe betide the FBC if he's got it wrong as it's a major official b0llocking due to the fact OR spent a lot of time, effort and money on getting this 'Stage 1 process' to be as good as it can be.

Of course, there's always the small chance of human error especially with the amount of newly up-skilled FBC's we have on the park, due to demand.

redanalog

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2022, 09:01:49 PM »

Factors we consider in the field before a Traffic Management team are dispatched;

-Speed limit on road
-Visibility on road
-Car count wihtin 3 minutes
-HGV/Large vehicle count within 3 minutes

FTTP & Copper Engineer

antsly

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2022, 03:03:24 PM »

Thanks both for the information, Openreach turned up today without warning and installed the CSP and overhead cable. Still nothing on the BT order tracking page.

I'd expect for two stage installs OR just turn up for the first without informing the ISP, this is similar to what happened with art37.
Pages: [1] 2

anything