Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Forum Post Attachment File Size Limit  (Read 5009 times)

tiffy

• Kitizen
Forum Post Attachment File Size Limit
« on: March 31, 2022, 04:25:29 PM »

Has the single file attachment size limit always been 300k or has it been retatively recently reduced?
Having occasion to attach two .png files to a post today which I had already trimmed down to approx 600k had to use an on line utility to reduce further to comply with the 300k limit, don't remember having such a low size limit previously.
BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Forum Post Attachment File Size Limit
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2022, 04:35:05 PM »

It's always been that.

Why didn't you convert the photos to jpg which would have given smaller file sizes?

I saved your ONT-PoE-1.png, opened it in Irfanview and just did a save as jpg: Original png 112KB, jpg 17KB!

png files are best for screen shots of text where the number of different colours is much lower.

Edit: attached the jpg version
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2022, 06:44:59 PM »

What jelv said is absolutely right, i.e. for photos always use jpg. Storage capacity for attachments is not unlimited, and we appreciate it if members could be moderate in their use of that space.
  Eric

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2022, 08:54:43 PM »

Thanks to both, I stand corrected.
For some reason I had remembered from my previous very infrequent post attachments that .png files were smallest, obviously got that wrong!
I used the Windows Snipping Tool to trim the images from the large phone/camera file and could have saved directly to .jpg format, will certainly adopt this format in future. :-[
BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2022, 08:24:35 PM »

I will try to be mindful of this in future, I am grateful as some forums force use of imgur and the like so any ability to post attachments is nice.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2022, 05:35:51 PM by Chrysalis »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2022, 08:29:52 PM »

Indeed, even though I can host my own photos, when you want to just quickly post something (and be sure it stays online as long as the thread does) its extremely useful - even if getting the file size down can take a few attempts.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors