Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Trying to move ISP has result in permanent loss of FTTC  (Read 2681 times)

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: Trying to move ISP has result in permanent loss of FTTC
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2022, 03:49:56 PM »

Could you post a screen shot of what https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL gives for your phone number (with your number blanked out) please.

25 Gold Addresses and 3 Silver Addresses on that Postcode.
If I do a random address check, I get advised G for FTTC on BT Wholesale.
44 to 66.8 Mbps downstream
10.6 to 17.3 Mbps upstream

Any response from Clive?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2022, 04:03:48 PM by meritez »

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2022, 04:17:38 PM »

If ADSL sale is restricted and FTTC orders are not being taken surely this applies: https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/broadband-uso-need-to-know
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

jeffers

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2022, 05:00:24 PM »

25 Gold Addresses and 3 Silver Addresses on that Postcode.
If I do a random address check, I get advised G for FTTC on BT Wholesale.
44 to 66.8 Mbps downstream
10.6 to 17.3 Mbps upstream

Any response from Clive?

Nothing back from him yet. What are gold and silver addresses in this context?

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2022, 05:10:12 PM »

Nothing back from him yet. What are gold and silver addresses in this context?

Code: [Select]
A Gold address key indicates that an address is or has been historically served by Openreach or has a pre-designed association to an Openreach network
Just a way of identifying your property on a database.

thesmileyone

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2022, 05:27:57 PM »

I find it hard the believe that my cabinet is at capacity, its not a hugely densely populated area (small Welsh town with no blocks of flats etc)
At my old house, in a small cornish village, I had this same problem. They built some new houses (like 12) and added everyone to the same cabinet making it overloaded...and then we had no end of FTTC problems. Finally an engineer came round having had a few and told us the problem was simple; the cabinet is overloaded and engineers kept unplugging the houses on our street and plugging the houses on the new street in, then every time someone complained they simple unplug someones house and plugged the complaintee house in. This went on for years with constant engineer visits and dropouts, until they finally installed a new cabinet...then fttc worked but at only 30% of the sync speed.

I moved house and again, more houses built, same problem again.

They fixed it here by putting everyone on FTTP instead of installing new fttc cabinets.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2022, 10:02:29 AM »

Hmmm - not doubting there were issues, but OR engineers can't just simply re-wire the FTTC cabinets to provide a broadband service, the ISP has to 'own' the ports we are told to cross-connect to.

For example - if Mr Smith is at house No.1 and is on FTTC (Talk-Talk), and Mrs Jones at house No.2 wants FTTC service (SKY) but there are no ports spare, if we nicked No.1's ports the router just wouldn't authenticate at house No.2.

What I'm saying is, the outside engineers have no idea of FTTC load capacity as it's logged on a system called LLUMS, that they don't have access to. Their only input is receiving the task via their mobile phone with instructions as to what to do in the Cabinet. 

Reformed

• Reg Member
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2022, 12:03:45 PM »

Indeed. Each port is mapped back to whomever is paying the bill to Openreach. This isn't necessarily your ISP, could be a wholesaler, so sometimes it'd work where you're switched for someone on the same Openreach customer / CP but would royally mess records up.

jeffers

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2022, 04:25:13 PM »

No response from Clive Selley and my original complaint to Openreach looks to have been ignored. I contacted Openreach via Twitter today who have confirmed that there *is* capacity on my cabinet but they wont do anything without an active order on the line.. so another order in with Plusnet and they will immediately escalate it to the Openreach SMC. Will I get lucky this time?  :fingers:

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2022, 04:34:35 PM »

I’m really surprised there was no response from a Clive Sellys office. Did you follow up on your first email ?
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

jeffers

« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2022, 07:05:27 PM »

I havent but if the problems continue with this order then I'll follow up with him one last time. I have a friend who works as a journalist for the BBC.. maybe some bad PR will get things moving. They've already admitted that there's no capacity problems on the line, contradicting what was said to plusnet. Pretty poor service all-round to be honest, basically cutting me off because I wanted to move to one of their competitors.

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2022, 08:13:08 PM »

I really don’t think this was deliberate! Too big a company to be so petty. Really surprised that Sellys team ignored you sure that wasn’t intentional.
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2022, 10:18:54 PM »

Its definitely odd, when I e-mailed in 2020 it only took 3 days to get a reply.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

jeffers

« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2022, 11:29:07 AM »

Just an update to this.. I finally had an openreach engineer arrive today who found a fault with the phone side of the line (connectivity issue between the cab and the exchange). He fixed that and everything is working fine. Why its taken 2 ISPs 4 months and probably 10 separate orders is beyond me. As I suspected, the "capacity problems" look to be a complete fabrication to fob me off.

I heard nothing back from Clive Selley's office and the only people from openreach who actually helped were their support team on twitter. I'm following up a complaint with both ISPs.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2022, 08:22:51 PM »

Out of curiosity I sent a message on the 6th to the contact my case was assigned to last year by Clive Selleys office, nothing back from them either.

They must be completely overwhelmed as mine has a case number assigned from last time so I'd expect it to be flagged in the system.

Will be curious to see when it will get a response, or if they've just decided not to deal with end user any more.  Admittedly, my case is not a high priority like yours was.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors
Pages: 1 [2]

anything