Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Electric and Gas Increase April 1st  (Read 2604 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Electric and Gas Increase April 1st
« on: March 29, 2022, 09:11:13 PM »

Electric and Gas Increase.
There was a good tip on our local radio station today about the tariff increase .
For those without a 'Smart meter' Take a reading on the 31st March and send it in to your supplier.
This is so that they do not estimate some of your supply you have used on the new rates.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Electric and Gas Increase April 1st
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2022, 09:39:30 PM »

31st March has been affectionately termed 'National Meter Reading Day' for a few months now, ever since Martin Lewis highlighted it to the masses.
Definitely worth doing, as chaos is very likely to ensue ...

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2022/03/martin-s-urgent-energy-warning--three-tips-that-might-help-with-/

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2022, 09:41:17 PM »

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2022, 10:03:20 PM »

For those without a 'Smart meter' Take a reading on the 31st March and send it in to your supplier.

I have smart meters and I intend to keep a record of the readings late Thursday - not that I don't trust them.  ;)
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

Lin1

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2022, 11:21:59 PM »

A couple of handy tips from my Aonghas for fellow money saving experts.

TIP #1 -- When there is a substantial tariff rise on the cards, as there will be on April Fools' Day, it is prudent to grossly over-estimate usage to date, and provide the supplier with a customer meter reading to confirm that.
Thereby bagging many months of future energy usage at yesterday's cheaper prices, albeit paid for up-front.

TIP #2 -- As many will know, my Aonghas is an industrial user of electricity. What with his Bitcoin Mining Farm in the spare bedroom, and his year-round Indoor Tomato Growing in the loft.
On occasion his Peak Load has blown the main house fuse. Originally a 100 amp, he upgraded it to a slow-blow 8mm bolt, see below.
But for fear of straining or even overheating the electricity meter, Aonghas came up with a further safeguard that also keeps our bills in check.
The ENSTO SLIW50 insulation piercing connector. Used normally for tapping Aerial Bundled Cables, my Aonghas has them bolted to our meter tails, and feeding his cryptomining rig and the loft plantation. See below.
Thereby lightening the load on the consumer unit, and doubtless prolonging the life of the meter.  A win win for everyone you must agree..

https://www.ensto.com/en-gb/electricity-distribution-networks/products/overhead-line-networks/low-voltage-overhead-line-solutions/ensto-ohl-low-voltage-accessories/connectors/insulation-piercing-connectors/sliw50/

Lin1

• Just arrived
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2022, 12:27:33 PM »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2022, 03:01:46 PM »

What baffles me is people suggesting putting in a much larger reading than it actually is.  Surely that's technically illegal as its trying to fraudulently claim the lower price for energy you used AFTER the tariff change?

I mean morally speaking I'm all for it, but it seems dodgy for people to be openly discussing doing it. Obviously its not what were discussing here, but it is what I've seen widely suggested all over social media.

Never applied to us though as we have smart (ha) meters.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Lin1

• Just arrived
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2022, 11:24:55 PM »

The moral dilemma:  rob, or be robbed?

This is how to swindle the little people legally:

Meanwhile in other news:

Centrica (British Gas) share price UP 61% since August. 

Centrica's largest shareholder is, drum roll..., Vanguard Group! (aka Blackrock)...
http://www.williamengdahl.com/englishNEO18June2021.php

Kerr-ching!

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2022, 12:11:11 AM »

So very true.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2022, 12:16:20 AM »

That image is very misleading. It's either completely made up, or the owner has changed their habits and has consumed  around 200kWh more electricity in the previous quarter than they had over the last 2 quarterly bills.

The provider has properly estimated the usage based on previous readings. They can't magically know if you have used more electricity than usual.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2022, 11:31:23 AM »

That image is very misleading. It's either completely made up, or the owner has changed their habits and has consumed  around 200kWh more electricity in the previous quarter than they had over the last 2 quarterly bills.

The provider has properly estimated the usage based on previous readings. They can't magically know if you have used more electricity than usual.

Quite agree, the estimate looks perfectly reasonable.
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

Reformed

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2022, 01:21:05 PM »

The moral dilemma:  rob, or be robbed?

That's not really much of a dilemma. Don't use British Gas if you object to their parent company's profits. You don't walk around stores stealing random items because you think things are overpriced, same applies to energy. None of us are enjoying the price increases but committing low grade fraud isn't a way to solve them.

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2022, 01:26:11 PM »

Centrica's largest shareholder is, drum roll..., Vanguard Group! (aka Blackrock)...

Vanguard and BlackRock are separate firms/competitors. They are not related.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2022, 06:53:41 PM »

My tariff ends at the end of the month.

Is it right that the best advise is to just let it role over on to the standard tariff?
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Lin1

• Just arrived
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2022, 06:54:39 PM »

Never applied to us though as we have smart (ha) meters.

Oooh!  We do love embracing new technology. But it has to be on our terms. First rule is it must be life-enhancing, not enslaving.

The idea of plotting real-time energy consumption data has some appeal; although like DSL line statistics, it's an interest that could soon wane!

My Aonghas is contemplating a homegrown 'smart meter' and maybe even a smart meter wrist-watch (!)

A DIY 'smart-meter' from simply swapping the MCB(s) / main isolator switch in the Consumer Unit for a WiFi-connected circuit-breaker module.  About £20 - £30. 

Supporting all of the features in an ordinary 'smart meter' - real-time load sampling, total energy consumption to date, and potentially more, e.g. an early alarm system detecting earth leakage, brownouts, etc.
But without all of the BigBrother surveillance in the supplier's own 'smart meter'. No risk of remote hacking either; fully isolated from BigTech.

And no gouging us with 'up to' 48 different 'smart' tariffs charged throughout the day. i.e. "surge pricing".   e.g. Boil a kettle at 3pm and pay 15p/kWh.  Boil it at 6pm and pay 95p/kWh.
Which is what UK energy regulator Ofgem is proposing for a smart meter regime to launch in 2025.  Good rant on that from HugoTalks:

https://hugotalks.com/2022/04/05/warning-dont-fall-for-it-hugo-talks-smart-meters/

That's not really much of a dilemma. Don't use British Gas if you object to their parent company's profits.

If only it were so simple. British Gas (Centrica) became our statutory 'supplier of last resort' (SoLR) after the previous supplier 'ceased trading'. BG agreed to honour our old contract terms for x months. That earlier supplier was effectively nationalised in another state bail-out, like Bulb, before all of its punters, including us, were dumped on BG.  We got no say in any of that.   Besides, where are these cheap energy suppliers who refund their excess profits?!

For a good insight into the tumultuous energy sector, well worth a listen is retired City of London broker Mario Innecco (maneco64):

https://odysee.com/@maneco64:8

Lately, Innecco focusses on the controlled demolition of the petrodollar system, behind the smokescreen of the engineered RU/UA 'crisis'.
Which many believe will precipitate the demise of the US dollar as the world reserve currency; to be supplanted, quite possibly, by a 'programmed' central bank digital currency (CBDC).

CBDC is a new technology, nothing short of Fintech Slavery, that I definitely do not want!

https://odysee.com/@BestEvidence:b/larry-carstens'-excellent-pandemic:e

Vanguard and BlackRock are separate firms/competitors. They are not related.

Vanguard is actually 'the largest shareholder of Blackrock'.. To paraphrase, 'He who holds the stock (or the commercial paper).. calls the tune'. 

See https://odysee.com/@DannyOcean007:c/Monopoly--Who-Owns-the-World:d
And https://odysee.com/@maneco64:8/BlackRock's-Going-Direct-Reset-and-the-Financial-Coup-d'État.:2

the owner has changed their habits and has consumed  around 200kWh more electricity in the previous quarter than they had over the last 2 quarterly bills.

Please study that consumption data again. Previous estimates were generally corrected by actual customer readings, i.e. from me, when I remembered. Those readings are relevant whereas previous estimates are not.
Besides, usage over the last two years has been static, since the dwelling has been uninhabited since the plandemic launched in March 2020.

That fortuitous -59% 'underestimate' of usage from our energy supplier, on the eve of their 54% price hike, is outrageous!
Multiply that scam by their total customer base (seven million UK homes and business) and Centrica's undeserved excess profits must be eye-watering!

One wonders how often it pans out the other way?
How many customers get windfalls through their supplier overestimating their usage, prior to a massive hike in the unit price?  How's about none?!  LOL!
Pages: [1] 2