Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: BT Digital Voice pause  (Read 5898 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: BT Digital Voice pause
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2022, 02:13:58 PM »

I would have thought in the long run keeping the port on the ONT would have been good leverage for OR. The more they remove the less they will be involved.

I also thought these ISP's were all about streamlining kit. If we're all using different UPS units in different formations its adding to an otherwise slick diagnosis problem solving path.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Reformed

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2022, 04:40:09 PM »

I would have thought in the long run keeping the port on the ONT would have been good leverage for OR. The more they remove the less they will be involved.

Not really. How do you propose they switch the PSTN off while still running a voice service? They'd have to build an entirely new voice platform akin to the original plans for 21CN.

Its kinda weird they were gung-ho on going ahead when any idiot could see the issues of vulnerable users being left in the dark.  Seemed a huge oversight the instant they decided not to carry voice from the ONT and ditch the battery.

Have to draw the line at some point. This is a failure of the service providers selling phone services with no regard for resilience, not Openreach. Plenty of notice was given of changes to voice provision.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2022, 04:42:23 PM by Reformed »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2022, 09:54:22 AM »

Have to draw the line at some point. This is a failure of the service providers selling phone services with no regard for resilience, not Openreach. Plenty of notice was given of changes to voice provision.

You might argue that yes the ISP should perhaps offer a UPS solution for their router, but that still leaves the ONT as a problem.  The average end user it would probably never occur to them of the need for a UPS as they never have needed one before.  They also don't tend to come in kid-friendly or elderly friendly form factors.  The original BBU covered those things perfectly and also had very easy/cheap to replace (and dispose of the old ones) batteries.

I'd certainly argue that it being the ISPs responsibility to keep the ONT powered is not true, the ONT is OR domain and they should be the ones providing something.

I totally get the flexibility of having VoIP over the Internet so you can connect from anywhere, but on the other hand VoIP from the ONT over its own VLAN with a higher priority for its traffic makes a lot of sense for a home phone line.  Should contention ever happen on the PON, VoIP should get priority and if its done independently of the Internet connection it also doesn't fall foul of net neutrality.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

tonygibbs16

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2022, 12:00:53 PM »

You might argue that yes the ISP should perhaps offer a UPS solution for their router, but that still leaves the ONT as a problem.  The average end user it would probably never occur to them of the need for a UPS as they never have needed one before.  They also don't tend to come in kid-friendly or elderly friendly form factors.  The original BBU covered those things perfectly and also had very easy/cheap to replace (and dispose of the old ones) batteries.

I'd certainly argue that it being the ISPs responsibility to keep the ONT powered is not true, the ONT is OR domain and they should be the ones providing something.

I totally get the flexibility of having VoIP over the Internet so you can connect from anywhere, but on the other hand VoIP from the ONT over its own VLAN with a higher priority for its traffic makes a lot of sense for a home phone line.  Should contention ever happen on the PON, VoIP should get priority and if its done independently of the Internet connection it also doesn't fall foul of net neutrality.

I think that there are couple of things in here:
  • ONT needs to be powered up for FTTP to work, so I think that OR have a responsibility to provide a battery backup for ONT especially for vulnerable customers or those in mobile not spots. But no ONT for FTTC.
             - Openreach have been saying that they don't know who vulnerable customers are. see this webinar by the London Office of Technology and Innovation on Analogue to Digital Switchover.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AXbl2DhQww
  • ISPs and VoIP providers need to let customers know that VoIP will go down if the router and phone are not powered. OFCOM has been saying that Communication Service Providers have to make it possible to make 999/112 emergency calls when there is a power cut. BT was saying use your mobile, but now they are not.

It is a complicated situation, because power from the exchange for telephony has been there for circa 100 years, and so POTS has been the last service working in most houses when everything else is down.

I think that events like Storm Arwen are showing that it is a bigger issue & change than companies like BT realised.

Cheers,
     Tony
« Last Edit: April 01, 2022, 12:10:22 PM by tonygibbs16 »

Reformed

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2022, 05:14:50 PM »

This can be done without plugging a handset into the ONT. CP orders 2 x CVLANs from Openreach and has one of them set at higher priority on Openreach's systems and have their CPE shape.

See https://www.openreach.co.uk/cpportal/content/dam/cpportal/public/images-and-documents/home/help-and-support/sins/documents/SIN_506.pdf sections 2.1.5-2.1.7 and  2.3.9-2.3.10.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2022, 03:07:08 AM »

I think that events like Storm Arwen are showing that it is a bigger issue & change than companies like BT realised.

That's what bothers me, I could see this issue a mile away, I find it odd it took an actual event for them to see it.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2022, 10:33:55 AM »

What do they do when the next storm takes down their phone line instead of knocking out the power?
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2022, 03:59:44 PM »

They will insist that all infrastructure is underground to prevent storm damage.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2022, 04:08:27 PM »

........ and then the floods came ......  ;D ;D

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2022, 04:09:32 PM »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2022, 05:57:46 PM »

What do they do when the next storm takes down their phone line instead of knocking out the power?

But now you're getting into whataboutisms.  This isn't about covering every eventuality, its about trying to make it as reliable as POTS was.

........ and then the floods came ......  ;D ;D

That's why I live on a hill, though of course that means the electricity comes via lower areas but we do seem to get less power cuts than the rest of the city.

Reformed

• Reg Member
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2022, 06:05:49 PM »

Getting it as reliable as POTS is certainly doable. Anyone want to volunteer to pay for it?

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2022, 06:17:51 PM »

Getting it as reliable as POTS is certainly doable. Anyone want to volunteer to pay for it?

You're forgetting that there were certain things they HAD to cover the cost of as part of the privatisation in the first place.  My grandparents already paid for the original infrastructure that they bought for a steal and as getting rid of it means they are no longer holding up their end of the bargain (they already got rid of most pay phones) then surely they should at least make it as reliable?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2022, 06:35:46 PM by Alex Atkin UK »

Reformed

• Reg Member
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2022, 09:35:11 PM »

What they had to cover is irrelevant. BT was privatised a long time ago and the infrastructure purchased at the market rate.

Perhaps part of the reason for the lower acquisition price was the enormous pension liabilities?

Either way they're a privately owned, publicly owned business with the obligations the regulator and competition place on them. These are a balancing act.

No reason at all why almost everyone can't be covered via wireless infrastructure. If battery backup on the land line + bigger battery backup wireless isn't enough we're in trouble.

At the extremes satellite could be engaged, too. However unless you're planning on providing generators to everyone in the group, fueling and maintaining them free of charge there's always going to be the constraint of power supply to the home.

There may well end up being a last resort service for vulnerable people and it'll be BT. None of the altnets will be interested.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2022, 11:44:21 AM »

Not sure if the left and right hands inside BT are communicating, I got this the other day:
We’re moving to Digital Voice Services and because of this a landline Calling Feature you’re subscribed to called ‘Call Sign’ will be removed on 30 September 2022.  Your Calling Features package will be updated accordingly and you won’t be billed for it after this date.
Pages: 1 [2] 3