Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Relating to News Item: "AAISP launches Faster FTTP Broadband Plans"  (Read 3425 times)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: Relating to News Item: "AAISP launches Faster FTTP Broadband Plans"
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2022, 08:30:09 AM »

They will offer a service less likely to suffer contention issues and also other services billed to the same account, which is useful to some people who might get confused having things billed from several different providers for different things.  eg Weaver using them for domain registration.  They also have a more robust 4G failover solution (eg on pfSense I've had 4G going down take out the whole connection more times than I've ever had DSL go down), however unlikely you are to need it.

Personally I'd rather keep things separate rather than put all my eggs in one basket, but not everyone is like that.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2022, 09:39:06 AM »

I don't know anyone on FTTP who has contention issues.

How often does FTTP go down, really?

DaveC

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2022, 10:04:23 AM »

Wha are AAISP possibly going to offer for FTTP that makes the cost worth it? They won’t be able to provide more tools for troubleshooting, they won’t be able to provide faster response times for repairs.

All this for a limited connection, I just don’t get it I’m afraid.

For me, there are various (some unique) features offered by AAISP, also applicable to FTTP:

1. Large blocks of static IPv4 addresses included in the price;
2. A single static block of IPv6 (/48) per customer, which you can then configure per service (I have a /56 at home over VDSL, and a /56 on a separate L2TP service), both taken from the same /48.
3. Ability to configure failover via L2TP, which routes your existing IP addresses over a third-party internet connection (e.g. 5G).
4. Unfiltered internet (no blocking, and they claim no logging)
5. Easy to access support with "real" (named) people via your own preferred mechanism - phone, email or IRC chat

Regarding their bandwidth caps, I would consider my household as a typical family with two adults and two children who all watch a lot of streaming video, and we average about 1.5TB-2TB per month.  So the 5TB limit is not an issue (we've accumulated about 9TB now, via the roll-over).

And of course, with my current VDSL I have their ability to bond multiple connections (I have 2 x VDSL) and their fault detection/resolution skills.

I'm not trying to convince others that AAISP is right for them (it depends on your budget, monthly usage and feature requirements), I'm just saying what the features are that keep me paying for them. 

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2022, 10:15:28 AM »

> Wha are AAISP possibly going to offer for FTTP that makes the cost worth it?

See my earlier post https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,26696.msg447641.html#msg447641

atkinsong

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2022, 10:17:26 AM »

I moved to FTTP with A&A last September. From the start, I experienced random PPP drops/reconnects maybe 2 or 3 times per week, each time the router re-connecting within 10 to 15 seconds. I was only aware of this due to the line down/line up emails from A&A.
After eliminating all I could locally (replacing ethernet cable between ONT & router, using my backup router, trying the A&A supplied DGA0122, replacing the ONT PSU) I had a chat with A&A about it. Within 3 days they had Openreach out. The OR engineer did a light test - all good, then rang the diagnostic centre to see if they could see anything. Diagnostic centre reported visibility of 11 "dying gasps" from the ONT over a couple of months.
Advised engineer to replace ONT which he did. That was 4 weeks ago and not one drop since.
I wonder how that situation would have been handled by BT/TalkTalk/Sky etc?
ISP:A&A, FTTP 160/30, Router Fritzbox 7530

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2022, 11:33:18 AM »

I don't know anyone on FTTP who has contention issues.

It's far more likely to suffer contention issues than FTTC with the higher bandwidths at play

The average user uses nowhere near 5TB a month.
If that limit is an issue for your usage then that's fine. AAISP likely don't want you as a customer if you use that much data. It can be very detrimental to others.

How often does FTTP go down, really?

Mine has twice in the 1st couple months I had it.
More than my FTTC did in the previous 5 years.

ELF's (early life faults/failures) are on the increase.
Entire PON's go down everyday

They won’t be able to provide more tools for troubleshooting

Of course they do. They have 24/7 line monitoring that sends a PPP LCP echo to every single customer, every single second, showing latency, throughput, sync and packet loss on a second by second basis.

they won’t be able to provide faster response times for repairs.

They absolutely do, even on FTTP.

Their offerings don't attract you, that's fair enough.
Perhaps you don't need any of the technical features they offer and uptime/failover isn't critical to your business/work.
Those are important to other people.

There are just as many AAISP customers who wouldn't take an unlimited Talktalk connection for free. They couldn't imagine using a dynamic IPV4, no IPV6, no UK phone support, no failover to mobile data.

It's a competitive market. You're free to choose whatever provider you like.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2022, 11:37:29 AM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2022, 11:59:27 AM »

I think the main advantage of AA is being able to talk to a proper tech person rather than some first line numpty at most ISP's.

If you have a complicated problem with your connection it'll be faster to fix on AA.

I'd imagine AA is a small ISP compared to others. But that gives it the ability to be familiar with their customers and lines a lot better than the more popular ISP's.

As said by others it just depends what you are going for, or if you have a problem with your connection i.e. how long are you prepared to wait to get it fixed.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2022, 01:05:56 PM »

The average user uses nowhere near 5TB a month.
If that limit is an issue for your usage then that's fine. AAISP likely don't want you as a customer if you use that much data. It can be very detrimental to others.

I'm far from an average user and still average around 2TB/month.  It didn't really change when I got 5G as like has been said before, you don't download more its just what used to take hours now takes minutes.

If anything I'd expect to upload more.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2022, 02:22:19 PM »

I wonder how that situation would have been handled by BT/TalkTalk/Sky etc?

A recent experience with BT on FTTC - called them up. They remotely connected to the Home Hub, could see the line dropping and booked an OR engineer..

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2022, 03:27:41 PM »

Why are we having this pointless and off-topic debate once again? Every time any mention of AA comes up.

What about doing this exercise with a different ISP next time, say BT Retail or Plusnet or TalkTalk?

I suggest acknowledging that everyone has different priorities and needs.

Another point that came to me. One reason that you might like to use AA is because you have a penguin in your life. All *nix / Linux / BSD fans might like to do business with an outfit that not only deeply understands Linux etc and can even help you with Linux config, but which is entirely run on Linux and open source internally. Can your BT Retail or even, say, TalkTalk for instance say the same? (Not that in my view that’s a criticism; I’m just starting some possible allegiances.)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2022, 05:11:31 PM by Weaver »

Reformed

• Reg Member
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2022, 03:54:37 PM »

Weaver - the people complaining about unlimited would love one of my ISPs: they charge me based on 95th percentile. Not capped, literally metered.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2022, 04:32:03 PM »

Well I have and have had metered services from AA. I currently have metered 4G.

Until last summer I used to have the AA metered ‘units’ AA tariff for my DSL lines; had that for over ten years. With that you pay for a certain amount of download. If you don’t use it all, then you have wasted your money. If you go over your units download allocation then nothing happens, you just get charged per additional byte downloaded at a slightly higher rate. So contrary to perception, that was unlimited, uncapped. But people complaining don’t understand all the obscure service offerings.

People keep moaning about caps but they have never been a required feature of AA. I found out that the ‘modern’ service offerings, whose pricing I didn’t understand in the case of a multi line setup such as mine, would work much better for me than the old units tariff so I switched to a new service type that has a 5TB cap or something ridiculous, so huge that I could never remotely use it all. I have a choice as to what I want to happen when I hit the cap, but since it’s never going to happen I can’t even remember what I’ve left it set to.

Amongst modern uncapped services there are several, ones that are aimed at business users, I’m not well up on the details though, but Office::1 comes to mind, and the dedicated line ethernet services are another example.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2022, 04:45:17 PM by Weaver »

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2022, 04:56:17 PM »

What’s the point? Ridiculous amount of money for limited broadband. Total con.

Why is the fact that it is limited relevant?

One of my beefs with AAISP was that they kept increasing the allowances when I'd far preferred they'd cut the price for the existing allowances. Their entry package now has a totally ludicrous allowance of 500GB. How the **** does anyone use that much? Only once have I ever exceeded 150GB and that was because I downloaded multiple series of a programme off iPlayer with a long expiry - I could just as easily spread the downloads to multiple months when I actually watched them.

I used to use AAISP because an internet connection was essential for my work and needed to know that if there were issues I'd have experts on my side to get it sorted.

Do you have home and contents insurance? If so don't you also think that's a waste of money, paying out extra for the security that gives in case something goes wrong?
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2022, 05:47:41 PM »

As I said in the previous thread, the richness of services, of which there are so many, was one of the deciding factors for me. I got fed up with thick customer service people before and so that was one well-known advantage of AA : support who decidedly aren’t morons. But back when I was looking to change, and you can still see my posts from way back when concerning this, I decided to trial two ISPs at different sites. Zen was one and AA was the other. My requirements evolved into: decent IPv4 address block, IPv6, intelligent support and line bonding. So Zen was out because they kept delaying and delaying IPv6 and I wouldn’t wait any longer and Zen was out of the race. And by the time I got bitten by the line bonding bug that meant Zen was ‘even more out.’

BTW, AA is stupendous for domain registration because you can never screw things up by missing a renewal payment and so lose your domain - as happened to me before I went to AA.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2022, 05:53:31 PM by Weaver »

Reformed

• Reg Member
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2022, 06:13:34 PM »

Outstanding this has been split. I can jump back in with a clear conscience.

A&A do not have their own access network, they don't even have a transport network, they have customers aggregated by others nationally and delivered to their core.

This means there are always options other than A&A. I stand by that FTTP reduces their niche but they still have one.

The limits seem a really strange thing to fixate over. They're rarely likely to be problematic and do roll over I believe.

They aren't for everyone. They aren't for most. Over FTTP they're for even fewer but I presume they'll be okay for a while yet. Their customers don't think they're expensive for what they provide, so they're good.
Pages: 1 [2] 3

anything