Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BT Full Fibre Current New Customer Offers  (Read 5571 times)

tiffy

• Kitizen
BT Full Fibre Current New Customer Offers
« on: August 28, 2022, 12:33:21 PM »

Looking at the current BT new customer offers note that all are listed as "Full Fibre", is this actually the case, ie., FTTP?
The fact that "BB only no landline" is quoted would indicate that this is FTTP service.
When I migrated to BT FTTP in March this year, the basic full fibre package was "Full Fibre 100", 150/30 service, below that everything was FTTC, 80/20 or 40/10, not sure if ADSL2+ was still an option then.

Now their "Full Fibre Essential", 36/10, "Full Fibre 1", 50/10 and Full Fibre 2, 74/20 services are listed, question being are these actually FTTP or still FTTC, the quoted DL speed figures versus guaranteed DL speed figures quoted are more to FTTC loss expectations although there is also a sizeable quoted/guaranteed DL speed variation with their FF100, 500 & 900 packages.

I assume that BT are still offering (up to) 80/20, 40/10 FTTC service to new customers who don't have FTTP availability? 
Vodafone FTTP 200/28, VF THG3000 Hub

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: BT Full Fibre Current New Customer Offers
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2022, 04:30:50 PM »

It used to be the case that if you had FTTP available then everything except Essentials was FTTP.
The essentials package was only FTTP if the FTTC speeds are very low.
It's been like that for 2-3 years at least.

The upstream estimates are a giveaway if it is FTTP or FTTC.

Edit: If FTTP is available then they are all provided over FTTP now, including Essentials.
The upstream figure is quoted as the package figure, not an estimate (just a fraction below on the 500/900 packages).
« Last Edit: August 28, 2022, 04:34:16 PM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2022, 07:01:19 PM »

@j0hn:
Thanks for the additional information.

The upstream estimates are a giveaway if it is FTTP or FTTC
The 3 lower packages on offer from BT max @ 20 Mbps US same as previous FTTC offers?
I appreciate that 80 Mbps DS is the max achievable on FTTC (under perfect conditions on a short line) it's the < 80 Mbps DS package offerings that I found confusing and don't remember these being offered by BT with full fibre (FTTP) service, not offered in my area when I signed up with BT for FTTP + LL in February.

Was aware from some of my neighbours that TalkTalk relatively recently started offering full fibre BB to their existing customers (either without land line or retaining existing copper POTS service) on < 80 Mbps packages with full fibre service but didn't appreciate that BT were doing the same all be it with digital voice phone option being the only choice with BT if LL is being retained.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2022, 09:28:49 AM »

@j0hn:
Thanks for the additional information.
The 3 lower packages on offer from BT max @ 20 Mbps US same as previous FTTC offers?

It's not that now either? It never has been.

BT have ALWAYS offered identical packages on FTTP as they did/do FTTC.

Certainly any address I check doesn't come with 20Mb upstream for Fibre Essentials or Fibre 1.
20Mb upstream only starts with Fibre 2.

Perhaps BT have done things a bit differently in N.I but on mainland GB for the past few years only the lowest package, Fibre Essentials, was available over FTTC in full fibre areas.

Existing customer upgrades can be treated different.

It was discussed about a year ago on the thinkbroadband forums.
https://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/4691856-bt-muddies-the-full-fibre-water.html
« Last Edit: August 29, 2022, 09:32:43 AM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2022, 01:42:44 PM »

@j0hn:
Thanks for the additional information and TBB forum link, very informative, appears that I'am not the only one to find BT's BB packages confusing.
Don't think that BT/OR operate any differently in N.I., just my confusion with the BT BB available packages that perhaps makes it seem that way!

anything