Chat > Tech Chat

replacing a "figure 8" power cable

(1/2) > >>

chenks:
one for the electrical minded people.

i currently have a TV that uses a standard "figure 8" power cable (a fairly short one). the length of cable is fine for where it is currently placed, put plans to put it up on the wall, and route the cables thru the wall etc mean that the supplied power cable is nowhere near long enough.

i've had a look on CPC and found a 5M 3A 240V cable would would do the job just nicely.
https://cpc.farnell.com/pro-elec/htp-hc8rawht5m/lead-13a-plug-to-fig-8-ra-c7-wht/dp/PL14316?ost=figure+8+power+leads

the markings on the existing cable plug say 3A 250V BS-1363/A. other than that the supplied cable looks like a bog standard cable (albeit it quite short)

will this cable from CPC be sufficient and safe to use?

tubaman:
I'd say that cable will be just fine.

chenks:
I take it I can use a cable that is rated for a higher amp not not a lower one?

I found a 5M cable but was only rated for 2.5A

burakkucat:

--- Quote from: chenks on March 26, 2022, 03:57:09 PM ---I take it I can use a cable that is rated for a higher amp not not a lower one?

--- End quote ---

Yes, absolutely correct.

Alex Atkin UK:

--- Quote from: chenks on March 26, 2022, 03:57:09 PM ---I take it I can use a cable that is rated for a higher amp not not a lower one?

I found a 5M cable but was only rated for 2.5A

--- End quote ---

That in itself is rather dodgy, there should be no cables rated below 3A as that's the minimum fuse value available in UK plugs.  The fuse should match the cable as its entire purpose is to protect the cable from going up in flames during a fault condition.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version