Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Trellis  (Read 5208 times)

timp

• Reg Member
Trellis
« on: November 30, 2006, 11:30:49 AM »

I have been looking at settings I can change on the router and have found that i can turn trellis on and off (currently on as default).
I have tried to find what this does but to no avail, could some explain what this does and have having it off so to speak will make a difference?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Trellis
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 02:37:32 PM »

Its an algorithm that detects errors on your line
Taken from http://www.commsdesign.com/main/1999/06/9906feat3.htm

Channel coding . Concerned with maintaining the integrity of the conveyed data sequence (frame), channel coding may incorporate error correction techniques such as Reed-Solomon forward error correction (RS FEC) and interleaving.

Line coding . This type of coding involves converting the sequences of binary digits into patterns suitable for transmission as pulses (modulation). Line coding also maintains regular timing of the bit sequence, and may use error-detection techniques such as trellis or Viterbi.

FYI by way of comparison
My line is very close to the exchange (7dB att) and I constantly sync at 8128

Line Coding Trellis On
Latency Type Fast

------------------------
Edited to add

Theres also more information about Error Correction & Trellis Coded Modulation on the main site.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 11:15:29 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

archie123

• Team Mashed
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2006, 10:49:30 AM »

so its not for growing climbing plants up then?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2006, 12:02:15 PM »

nope..   the ivy manages to stick to the brick work quite nicely without trellising thanks.   :D

(have you ever tried tearing that stuff off?  Its worse than bleedin superglue.
The neighbour has it in her garden and its trying to invade. >:(

Mind you - it does have some advantages - (the ivy that is)....  its about the only thing thats holding one of the fence panels together right now.  :-\
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

archie123

• Team Mashed
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2006, 12:16:58 PM »

i once spent nearly 2 days ripping ivy off of the side of our last house , it does indeed stick like sh** to a blanket , never again  :no:

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2006, 05:22:58 PM »

Hi. I have a dry stone wall, the ivy was all over this wall and growing about 6ft above it so we took it all off the wall.
I now have about 50 tons of rock were the wall once stood  :no:, on other walls we have just trimmed it down and left all the roots holding the stone together.  ;)
Regards Michael.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.