Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Data Hall move  (Read 4933 times)

d2d4j

• Kitizen
Data Hall move
« on: March 25, 2022, 12:33:59 PM »

Hi

We have to move data hall as notified by Pulsant (see below) and we have scheduled the move to take place over the weekend of Sat 2 April and Sun 3 April.  We have also allocated Sat 9 April and Sun 10 April as a fall back move date should there be any issues/delays.

It is envisaged that the move will start on Saturday 2 April between approx 4PM to 8PM and last for around 2 Hours approx.

This means that all services on all platforms will be down during the move and we are moving from P1 to P3 data hall

If you have any questions or need further details, please let me know

Many thanks

John

Quote from: Pulsant
Currently we are in the process of starting a project whereby all our clients in Pulsant 1 Maidenhead will need to move their equipment out of that data hall in the coming months.

Pulsant have identified this data hall as an area that really needs investment. It has fallen behind in the way of improvements and frankly is not to the standard of some of our other data halls. Now is the time for Pulsant to invest and update that site.

What this means is that we are not renewing or putting any new clients into MDH Pulsant 1. Existing clients will need to relocate. It will need to be a different data hall at Maidenhead or perhaps a more convenient datacentre for some clients.

Pulsant appreciate this is a big ask for many clients so we want to assist in any way we can.

[Moderator edited to wrap the Pulsant quotation with [quote author=Pulsant][/quote] tags.]
« Last Edit: March 25, 2022, 02:35:14 PM by burakkucat »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Data Hall move
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2022, 02:35:57 PM »

Hopefully all will go well, without any mishaps.  :)  :fingers:
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2022, 06:32:28 PM »

@d2d4j thanks for the heads up and your email. Hope it doesn’t give you any hassle  :no:
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

atkinsong

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2022, 06:41:29 PM »

I can only echo the above comments @d2d4j.
ISP:A&A, FTTP 160/30, Router Fritzbox 7530

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2022, 09:45:08 AM »

Hi

Many thanks for your kind words.

We have undertaken moves before around 10 years ago and it is not a quick process.

Hopefully should be fairly straight forward as long as the new racks are ready (which pulsant state they are) and the CIDR will be rerouted to new data hall, and ofcourse all hardware power on without issues/failures.

Once the move has taken place, and all platforms checked, we will schedule for client migration to 7hi but will give plenty of notice and detail in advance.

burakkucat - sorry, I should have put pulsant in quotes, but I do not type direct into a reply and time is usually against me sorry.  Thank you for putting in quotes

Many thanks

John

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2022, 04:03:38 PM »

burakkucat - sorry, I should have put pulsant in quotes, but I do not type direct into a reply and time is usually against me sorry.  Thank you for putting in quotes

It was no problem (and certainly nothing requiring you to apologise).  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2022, 06:27:30 PM »

For me it was a case of "Data hall move by who?" as it is not mentioned in the subject line.  But obviously the people you were intending to inform would already know.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

g3uiss

• Kitizen
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2022, 07:46:41 PM »

I think it was quite clear in the body. The intended audience is the many users on this site that @d2d4j helps so much.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2022, 05:45:54 PM »

Anyone else having issues accessing 7hi?
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

g3uiss

• Kitizen
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2022, 06:08:07 PM »

My access is fine at the moment  ::)

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2022, 09:14:43 PM »

Hi

@jelv I think it maybe a block if you have had any failing passwords - usually on email

IDP/IPS will temp block for 4 hours and if continues, will become permanent block

Easy way to tell is to see if you can ping or access your website in a browser.  If you cannot, just open a ticket or let me know your external IP and we will unblock and let you know the reason for block

I have just flushed all blocks now but if you still cannot access 7hi, please let me know

Many thanks

John

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2022, 12:01:56 AM »

This is odd.

I can ping 7hi.

It is specifically ports 143 and 993 that I'm having trouble with. It's multiple windows PCs/laptops and android phones affected.

Telnet testing on PC: I get no response from 7hi on ports 143 and 993, they just time out. I get the expected responses on ports 110 and 995.

If I turn off Wifi on a phone I can access mail via 4G. If I then make the phone a wifi hotspot I can access mail on a laptop.

Edit: I still have an old Plusnet mailbox - I can access that using IMAP
« Last Edit: March 29, 2022, 12:06:10 AM by jelv »

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2022, 07:06:04 AM »

John, have you done something? It's working this morning.

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2022, 08:03:49 AM »

Hi Jelv

Many thanks and no, we have not changed anything

The only thing I can I think off is Pulsant completed a new carrier on IP Transit see picture, but glad it's working for you now

In case anyone wonders why I may be slow to reply/respond on forum, please see picture of my screen on mobile, and yes, I could zoom in but to read it means I only see a couple of words

Many thanks

John

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2022, 03:51:42 PM »

Happened again this morning, but this time I spotted what caused it.

TLDR - Thunderbird

Long explanation: Yesterday I created a new mailbox on the server. Configuring the new mailbox in Thunderbird I entered the new email address which is also used as the mailbox login and let it discover the mail settings automatically. When it tested the settings it locked again with my IP being barred from accessing IMAP on John's mail server. I then spotted that it was trying to login with username new_mailbox@mydomain@mydomain which quite rightly the server didn't like. We guess that it thought this was some sort of hacking attempt and blocked me for four hours (or at least until John cleared it - thanks John). Obviously some sort of bug in Thunderbird's automatic mailbox configuration!
Pages: [1] 2

anything