Broadband Related > FTTC and FTTP Issues

FTTC - FTTP - ISP/SPEED/PACKAGE

(1/4) > >>

art37:
As OR vans are deployed around the town; fibre is in the ducts, and my street surveyed, I am hoping that the FTTP light will change from red to green in the near future.

As I wait, I struggle to decide what I should do when that day comes. I currently pay AAISP £45 per month for FTTC on a 500GB package with the occasional 5TB month. Four years on, the service has been satisfactory but my download connection has varied from 54Mbit/s to 73Mbit/s. Even the much-lauded AAISP couldn't force BT to investigate my line as, at 54Mbit/s, it was 1Mbit/s above the minimum threshold speed.

If I stay with AAISP, I can have a 160/30Mbit/s FTTP connection for £45 a month with the same data restriction with a set up cost of £100. The main advantage is that it is a single supplier solution for a new service/cease service.

If I go back to Zen, I can have a 300Mbit/s FTTP connection for £49 a month; unlimited data, and a free Fritz!box 7530 (as my home is Fritz!box'ed already the 7530 would make a good mesh repeater). Set up cost is £29.99. The downside is the 18 month contract but the plus side is frozen charges.

If I go back to Aquiss, I can have a 300Mbit/s FTTP connection also for £49 a month (with the first 4 months at 50% off); with unlimited data and no set up charge. The contract length is 12 months.

History shows that most people end up wanting more data and speed than they first thought, so I am leaning towards 300Mbit/s and unlimited data. I would prefer to stay with AAISP but £65 a month for a package that I can effectively get for £41 a month for the first 12 months from Aquiss cannot be pushed to one side.

Clearly, it has to be my decision, but I would be interested to hear any thoughts from those on a Zen or Aquiss connection. I should add that I was with IDNet for a number of years but their package at £54/month is for 550Mbit/s.

broadstairs:
As for the speed needed I am sure most people over estimate their needs. I had a fairly solid FTTC connection at around 64mbits/sec and never maxed it out. I now have 150/30 with BT on FTTP and again so far never maxed it out. Now my household is just two people who do not do gaming but do stream TV occasionally. The main advantage for me is stability. Now if we had kids doing gaming or running a business might need more. I'd find it difficult to see why the majority need more than 300 down.

Stuart

art37:
Thanks @Stuart

dee.jay:
Personally I would stick with AAISP.

They are currently testing faster FTTP speeds...

craigski:

--- Quote from: art37 on March 24, 2022, 10:21:44 AM ---If I go back to Zen, I can have a 300Mbit/s FTTP connection for £49 a month; unlimited data, and a free Fritz!box 7530 (as my home is Fritz!box'ed already the 7530 would make a good mesh repeater). Set up cost is £29.99. The downside is the 18 month contract but the plus side is frozen charges.

--- End quote ---

The lifetime price option is one of the reasons I chose Zen for my FTTP, as inflation will cause prices to rise, unless the FTTP prices are already over priced from ISPs.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version