Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: FTTC - FTTP - ISP/SPEED/PACKAGE  (Read 1734 times)

art37

FTTC - FTTP - ISP/SPEED/PACKAGE
« on: March 24, 2022, 10:21:44 AM »

As OR vans are deployed around the town; fibre is in the ducts, and my street surveyed, I am hoping that the FTTP light will change from red to green in the near future.

As I wait, I struggle to decide what I should do when that day comes. I currently pay AAISP £45 per month for FTTC on a 500GB package with the occasional 5TB month. Four years on, the service has been satisfactory but my download connection has varied from 54Mbit/s to 73Mbit/s. Even the much-lauded AAISP couldn't force BT to investigate my line as, at 54Mbit/s, it was 1Mbit/s above the minimum threshold speed.

If I stay with AAISP, I can have a 160/30Mbit/s FTTP connection for £45 a month with the same data restriction with a set up cost of £100. The main advantage is that it is a single supplier solution for a new service/cease service.

If I go back to Zen, I can have a 300Mbit/s FTTP connection for £49 a month; unlimited data, and a free Fritz!box 7530 (as my home is Fritz!box'ed already the 7530 would make a good mesh repeater). Set up cost is £29.99. The downside is the 18 month contract but the plus side is frozen charges.

If I go back to Aquiss, I can have a 300Mbit/s FTTP connection also for £49 a month (with the first 4 months at 50% off); with unlimited data and no set up charge. The contract length is 12 months.

History shows that most people end up wanting more data and speed than they first thought, so I am leaning towards 300Mbit/s and unlimited data. I would prefer to stay with AAISP but £65 a month for a package that I can effectively get for £41 a month for the first 12 months from Aquiss cannot be pushed to one side.

Clearly, it has to be my decision, but I would be interested to hear any thoughts from those on a Zen or Aquiss connection. I should add that I was with IDNet for a number of years but their package at £54/month is for 550Mbit/s.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Re: FTTC - FTTP - ISP/SPEED/PACKAGE
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2022, 10:41:04 AM »

As for the speed needed I am sure most people over estimate their needs. I had a fairly solid FTTC connection at around 64mbits/sec and never maxed it out. I now have 150/30 with BT on FTTP and again so far never maxed it out. Now my household is just two people who do not do gaming but do stream TV occasionally. The main advantage for me is stability. Now if we had kids doing gaming or running a business might need more. I'd find it difficult to see why the majority need more than 300 down.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

art37

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2022, 10:48:40 AM »

Thanks @Stuart

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2022, 11:20:07 AM »

Personally I would stick with AAISP.

They are currently testing faster FTTP speeds...
Starlink and AAISP L2TP combo routed by opnSense on proxmox

craigski

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2022, 12:11:36 PM »

If I go back to Zen, I can have a 300Mbit/s FTTP connection for £49 a month; unlimited data, and a free Fritz!box 7530 (as my home is Fritz!box'ed already the 7530 would make a good mesh repeater). Set up cost is £29.99. The downside is the 18 month contract but the plus side is frozen charges.

The lifetime price option is one of the reasons I chose Zen for my FTTP, as inflation will cause prices to rise, unless the FTTP prices are already over priced from ISPs.

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2022, 01:47:58 PM »

The lifetime price option is one of the reasons I chose Zen for my FTTP, as inflation will cause prices to rise, unless the FTTP prices are already over priced from ISPs.

Zen's pricing is quite close to cost, once you factor in bandwidth and support plus administration costs.

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2022, 02:59:15 PM »

I think the lifetime guarantee will eventually be unaffordable and will end.
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

DaveC

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2022, 06:27:40 PM »

Personally I would stick with AAISP.

They are currently testing faster FTTP speeds...

This.  More info here:

https://www.aa.net.uk/etc/news/new-core-routers-and-faster-speeds/

Cost and monthly quota may still be a factor against AAISP, but hopefully speed soon shouldn't be.

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2022, 07:12:44 PM »

Like with ADSL and FTTC, I actually expect FTTP prices to fall over time and that the same amount of money will buy a faster speed service..

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2022, 07:17:29 PM »

This.  More info here:

https://www.aa.net.uk/etc/news/new-core-routers-and-faster-speeds/

Cost and monthly quota may still be a factor against AAISP, but hopefully speed soon shouldn't be.

£85 a month still cheaper than my dual FTTC setup. Absolute no brainer for me.

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2022, 07:30:04 PM »

Zen have offered me 1st month free to move to fttp as its been enabled. 1gb package. I'm out of contract but do like the lifetime price promise.
Trouble is netomnia have now started their rollout and it's 1gb symmetrical so very keen on that plus it's cheaper than zen but could be a long wait..

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2022, 10:35:13 PM »

Zen have offered me 1st month free to move to fttp as its been enabled. 1gb package. I'm out of contract but do like the lifetime price promise.
Trouble is netomnia have now started their rollout and it's 1gb symmetrical so very keen on that plus it's cheaper than zen but could be a long wait..

Symmetrical, eh? Wow.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2022, 04:07:54 AM »

Symmetrical, eh? Wow.

Netomnia do 10Gbit symmetrical by request I believe.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Reformed

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2022, 04:18:52 AM »

Certainly do sell a product described as 10G. Have to order by phone but they're only too happy to talk to potential customers and when I spoke to them the guy was perfectly pleasant and no hard sell. I didn't call them, I said that they could call me to discuss what they had to offer. For smaller companies this is a really good idea.

art37

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2022, 08:31:54 AM »

I am pleased to see that I am not alone in struggling with this particular dilemma. FWiW, unless their current offer changes, I have decided to go to Aquiss for 12 months. Comparing like-for-like ( as far as is possible with AAISP’s download limits), the price difference is just too stark to ignore.

I would save £100 on FTTP installation and my monthly charge would only be £41 with Aquiss (based on discounts) compared to £65 with AAISP. A total saving of £388 over the first 12 months on contract. It is a while since I was last with Aquiss but I don’t recall that I had any issues.
Pages: [1] 2

anything