Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Is it possible to force on interleaving (upstream) on a VDSL modem in the UK?  (Read 7061 times)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors

Curious, I've never seen a delay more than 8ms each way.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

cbdeakin

• Reg Member

I suppose I'm lucky in a way that the line is only a few hundred meters, as this helps to keep the total latency down (getting latencies between 30-40ms in Stadia, which is considered 'good').
Aluminium line. ECI cabinet. Fun times.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen

Not sure distance makes a difference on VDSL other than a higher chance of interference along the line, the mechanisms for mitigating it remain the same either way and that's where the majority of the latency comes from.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

cbdeakin

• Reg Member

So, the interleaving got removed on the upstream about an hour ago and the additional delay is just 8ms now.

hopefully it won't be completely crap again, but I won't hold my breath. My ISP said it would remain active, but it still seems to be controlled dynamically by Openreach.

EDIT - Yup, just started a Stadia stream and it's losing thousands of packets again in just 4-5 minutes, and the stream feels glitchy again. So, it seems to need the upstream interleaving to be enabled... Very specific problem.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2022, 05:04:50 AM by cbdeakin »

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen

I don't know how you are going to get around this as DLM is an automated process. I'm actually surprised that the engineer could manually apply interleaving - unless they actually just did a DLM reset which I believe applies it by default on an ECI cabinet, and DLM has now decided the upstream side is good enough not to need it?
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

cbdeakin

• Reg Member

Yes, the DLM system is hardly a precision tool (doesn't care if the line is copper or aluminium).... I couldn't resist the opportunity for a pointless moan  :D

I don't think it was a line reset, the Openreach engineer specifically requested applying (only) upstream interleaving. I think they just applied standard interleaving on both the downstream and upstream.

I've certainly given my ISP a challenge.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2022, 04:40:30 PM by cbdeakin »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF

Doesnt make sense to me unless a piece of your networking equipment is generating noise when active, powerline networking or something else.

But you have a resolution which is the main thing.

cbdeakin

• Reg Member

Well, from what I've heard, aluminium cables are prone to noise /interference so I assume that's the cause.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen

I don't think it was a line reset, the Openreach engineer specifically requested applying (only) upstream interleaving. I think they just applied standard interleaving on both the downstream and upstream.

Like we've said though, NOBODY has the ability to do this, its entirely down to DLM to decide interleaving or not, it cannot be manually overridden.

The only options you have are stability profiles (how many errors DLM will ignore before turning on interleaving and how aggressive it is) or a DLM reset.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen

Like we've said though, NOBODY has the ability to do this, its entirely down to DLM to decide interleaving or not, it cannot be manually overridden.

The only options you have are stability profiles (how many errors DLM will ignore before turning on interleaving and how aggressive it is) or a DLM reset.

That's my understanding too - I think a DLM reset was performed.
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions

Well, from what I've heard, aluminium cables are prone to noise /interference so I assume that's the cause.

Aluminium doesn’t carry higher frequencies well and loss per Meter is greater. I don’t think however it’s more prone to interference.
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

Reformed

• Reg Member

Indeed. The killer is when aluminium and copper are jointed - it creates an impedance mismatch and you end up with literal signal reflections increasing noise.

cbdeakin

• Reg Member

The engineer specifically made a request remotely to change the interleaving. The tech support lady answered on the other end to confirm the interleaving changes.

The other line stats remained the same after the change. Surely no need to debate that?

The options discussed were interleaving and interleaving high. I've no idea what difference there is between these.

The problem I have at the moment, is my ISP is currently having trouble getting in touch with Openreach via their 'portal'.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2022, 09:55:03 PM by cbdeakin »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen

The engineer specifically made a request remotely to change the interleaving. The tech support lady answered on the other end to confirm the interleaving changes.

The other line stats remained the same after the change. Surely no need to debate that?

We debate it because all evidence suggests this is impossible, the engineer at best can request a DLM reset and in general its down to the ISP.  Only the ISP can request profile changes and AFAIK none of them guarantees interleaving, though as mentioned a DLM or profile change might enable interleaving by default but nothing to stop DLM turning it off again.  Interleaving is entirely down to DLM, it cannot be manually changed.

cbdeakin

• Reg Member

You might be right. It's certainly seems like new territory for my ISP.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5