Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BT openreach FTTC line voltage...  (Read 863 times)

evo-nige

• Just arrived
BT openreach FTTC line voltage...
« on: July 26, 2022, 10:07:19 AM »

Hi,

Not sure if the answer to this is obvious and been answered here before but seach came up with nothing so here goes!

I have two FTTC openreach lines to our property, one being a fairly recent adition, which i run through two Vigor 167's and load balance with a Vigor 2927 giving 130mb / 35mb speeds.

Our original line has a voltage of -48v with a decent connection speed / low error counts and 6bd SNR as can be seen in the screen grab below while the newer line has no or 'very' little voltage (not enough to trigger the line tester) thus looks like a dead line, yet connects with a lesser speed / higher error counts and a 2db SNR.
Both lines are data/Broadband Fiber 2 only and connected directly to the modems themselves.

Is this normal? Anyone know the reason for this?

Any info would be greatly apreciated!

Nige

« Last Edit: July 26, 2022, 10:15:32 AM by evo-nige »

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
Re: BT openreach FTTC line voltage...
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2022, 12:56:37 PM »

Thinking logically i suppose there is no requirement for a data only service to have the line voltage present. Given that I assume the original line did once have a telephony service on it and has never been disconnected at the exchange end?
The 6dB and 2dB is a little more curious - do you know if you are on a Huawei or ECI cabinet, as I'd expect the 2dB line to be running G.INP and be Huawei but that doesn't explain the 6dB on the other line. Maybe you are on one of each as that isn't unheard of.
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2022, 03:39:16 PM »

I have two FTTC openreach lines to our property, one being a fairly recent adition, which i run through two Vigor 167's and load balance with a Vigor 2927 giving 130mb / 35mb speeds.

Our original line has a voltage of -48v with a decent connection speed / low error counts and 6bd SNR as can be seen in the screen grab below while the newer line has no or 'very' little voltage (not enough to trigger the line tester) thus looks like a dead line, yet connects with a lesser speed / higher error counts and a 2db SNR.
Both lines are data/Broadband Fiber 2 only and connected directly to the modems themselves.

I'm not sure what to make of the observations you report.  :-\

I guess that if those two circuits were within my "paw reach", I would connect a time domain reflectometer to each one, in turn, and then analyse the traces so obtained.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2022, 07:51:04 PM »

Roughly 14% of SOGEA lines have a line voltage and even that voltage will be intermittently turned on/off during the day.

So yes what you are seeing is perfectly normal.
The presence of or lack of line voltage should make no difference to how the line performs.

Section 1.4 of Openreach SIN 517 explains why some lines have voltage while others don't.

The 2nd line you have posted stats for also appears to have a capped/banded upstream, capped at 17Mb/s.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2022, 07:55:35 PM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2022, 07:20:07 AM »

Section 1.4 of Openreach SIN 517 explains why some lines have voltage while others don't.

I think explains is a strong word here, it doesn't explain why (except in the case of a switch reboot their end) only that it will happen.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors