Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: FTTC / Interleaving Advice  (Read 1858 times)

bbargh219

Re: FTTC / Interleaving Advice
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2022, 02:11:18 PM »

You're right the speed is fine, be nice to have lower latency for gaming that's all. Seems to have been an issue removing the cap using telnet rather than power cycling the modem. Resolved now though.

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2022, 02:57:57 PM »

What actually is your ping to say 1.1.1.1.
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

bbargh219

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2022, 03:14:44 PM »

14 to 20 ms. Have seen it as low as 5 ms when not interleaved and on ethernet. Makes a hell of a difference when gaming, first world problems I suppose.

g3uiss

• Kitizen
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2022, 04:43:45 PM »

Is that wifi then ? I think 8-10 on a wired connection the best your likely to see.

bbargh219

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2022, 04:59:28 PM »

About 18 ethernet currently 20+ WiFi, gaming isn't unplayable but certainly not an enjoyable experience

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2022, 10:04:45 PM »

Your Interleaving is adding exactly 8ms additional latency between modem and DSLAM. So an additional 8ms to any server/IP/website.

delay:          8               0

It's not much and to most people it's no big deal and something you shouldn't even notice.

Still, I always made an effort to remove interleaving and to keep it off. I had to permanently cap my sync rate as it couldn't hold fastpath at full sync.
Capping my line at the same speed I received when interleaved was sufficient.
So I effectively had the lower sync you get with interleaving but without the added 8ms latency.

I then put a fair bit of effort in to getting my line moved from our ECI cabinet to the brand new Huawei cabinet that was installed. It required me to cease the landline and go without any fixed line broadband for a couple of months.
It was very much worth it to never have the line interleaved again. The extra speed from G.INP and a lower SNRM target were a nice bonus.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

cbdeakin

• Reg Member
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2022, 05:38:24 PM »

Just some thoughts from a different perspective:

I wouldn't worry about interleaving unless the total measured latency in game / streaming etc is over 40ms. You may or may not perceive a difference beyond this point. Personally, I think it tends to be spikes of high latency that people notice (like a doubling or more of latency).

Using a router free of bufferbloat is also a big help, when it comes to latency.

Looking at your line, there's quite a lot of CRCs, Errored seconds and Serious ES in about a day. Also, some loss of signal too. I'd be more concerned with that than the interleaving (which will help to address these errors).
« Last Edit: March 31, 2022, 05:48:02 PM by cbdeakin »
Aluminium line. ECI cabinet. Fun times.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2022, 06:23:16 PM »

That isn't anywhere near alot of CRC/ES on the downstream. A little high on the upstream.

The "Total Time" is incorrect and is a bug on Broadcom modems. It isn't 1 day but probably over 100 days.

Since Link time = 14 days 4 hours 48 min 3 sec
FEC:            163797          12568
CRC:            2               2526
ES:             1               25140

That's a better measure than the total time stats though looks like there are periods of high ES bursts on the upstream.
24 hours worth looks really low.

Previous 1 day time = 24 hours 0 sec
FEC:            7256            801
CRC:            0               159
ES:             0               151
SES:            0               0

The latest 15 mins, previous 15 mins, last 24 hours and current day all look very low.
The errors wouldn't concern me.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2022, 06:39:54 PM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

cbdeakin

• Reg Member
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2022, 10:46:31 PM »

I suppose it depends what latency you're getting on the line. If it's 20-30ms that's pretty decent. If the latency seems low enough to do everything you want to do, that's good isn't it?

If the interleaving was disabled, this would reduce this by 8 milliseconds, which is quite a marginal difference.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2022, 10:53:41 PM by cbdeakin »
Aluminium line. ECI cabinet. Fun times.

bbargh219

« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2022, 10:27:38 AM »

It might be a marginal difference in real terms but when online gaming it makes a massive difference.

I've had very few errors since removing cap but still interleaved, connection very stable as well haven't seen a resync in nearly a month. DLM is seeing something to justify not removing interleaving but because the process is so cloak and dagger I'll never know what the triggers are in terms of specific error types etc for applying interleaving and removing it. I suppose it's something I'll have to live with until I have the opportunity to upgrade to FTTP which I have been reliably informed will be this summer  :fingers:

g3uiss

• Kitizen
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2022, 11:56:57 AM »

It’s the interleaving that prevents the errors, which is why it’s so effective. I think most lines on ECI cabs that are interleaved. When I had my Fttc both circuits were on ECI and about 50% of the time one or the other was interleaved. I’m not a gamer so it’s not really been a problem to me. Now on FTTP it’s around 9ms most of the time so you have that to look forward to.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2022, 12:03:50 PM »

I'll have to live with until I have the opportunity to upgrade to FTTP which I have been reliably informed will be this summer  :fingers:

Hehehe "reliably informed" and "FTTP".  Rather like predicting the weather.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors
Pages: 1 [2]

anything