Computers & Hardware > Networking

Home networking (5e and 6)

(1/6) > >>

skyeci:
Whilst prepping and thinking about my fttp install some years ago I hard wired our house with cat5e. I know cat6 has more bandwidth but would we as home users really see any difference in replacing all the current 5e. It was a bit of a task at the time so I am not sure if I wanted to even do it at the moment unless we really would see any noticeable difference?.... all good quality switches/patch leads etc being used at the moment.
fttp will be 1gb service.
Thanks.

Alex Atkin UK:
If its done well it should handle 2.5Gbit no problems and may even run 5Gbit or 10Gbit depending on the quality.  The point of 6a is merely that its guaranteed to support those.

Reformed:
Unless the cable or install are actually bad, not just reasonable, 5G should be fine across the kinds of distances we home users cable across.

10G over sub-30 metre spans may be doable.

HPsauce:
Domestic distances are usually much lower than the 100 metres that these cables are certified to support at the appropriate speeds.
I've pushed my network in the other direction, using 4-core telephone cable up to about 25m, it works fine for TV streaming and many other functions and is much easier to route.
I "think" it's only supposed to run at 10mbps though I have my suspicions that I might get more than that.  :angel:
Edit: In fact it seems to reach 100mbps only requires 2 pairs, it's Gigabit that needs all 4.  :graduate:

It's a long time since I ran the cables and I've forgotten my researches at the time, but I think all devices are configured at 100mbps and works fine.
The cable is "sort of" (but probably not exactly) Cat3 I believe.

HPsauce:

--- Quote from: HPsauce on March 19, 2022, 12:51:38 PM ---I think all devices are configured at 100mbps and works fine.
--- End quote ---
Just checked my router and all the local LAN is 100mbps.  :cool:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version