Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Are Zen still recommended?  (Read 6681 times)

Trunkz

• Just arrived
Re: Are Zen still recommended?
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2022, 12:07:54 PM »

Chat support seems to think its openreach..  ::) is there a quicker route to their NOC team for example?

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2022, 08:04:16 PM »

It used to tell you in their customer control panel but for the majority of customers it no longer does.

A tracert might give an indication of the backhaul provider.

AFAIK the first hop is always one of their core routers in London or (rarely) Manchester.  How you get there is completely invisible.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Jasonkruys

• Reg Member
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2022, 10:00:11 PM »

Yes I could have gone down that route, but when it happened I was only 6 weeks away from my FTTP, so didn’t recon I was going to get anywhere. My FTTP is 7ms most of the time. On Friday my number will port from Zen to Sippgate and that will be project completed.

I do think it’s sad to get a problem fixed you need the complaints team really.

What's the best way to do the number port? Order FTTP with Zen separately, and then when it's in do the port request/cease on the FTTC? Or is there a mechanism to do FTTC > FTTP upgrade with Zen and port the number to sipgate without it screwing up? I've seen mixed reports and advice!

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2022, 10:22:59 PM »

I'll let you know when I port mine.

Did the FTTC to FTTP first, now trying to figure out "when its safe" to port the POTS to VoIP.

From what I can gather so far, it takes a while for the account details to sort themselves out as the FTTC is ceased and the databases are updated so the account no longer is linked to your landline.  Yesterday it was still showing my telephone number against my account and Bundle: Yes, now that appears to have gone but the order hasn't closed yet.  The physical connection itself was done on Monday.

NOTE:  This only works if you have line rental and broadband with different providers.  If they are both with the same provider it seems to be hit and miss, but is supposed to work if you move them over to the FTTP + VoIP package, you can't split them to different providers without losing your number though should be able to port VoIP to VoIP later, but presumably only once the minimum contract is up.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2022, 10:34:07 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2022, 10:47:01 PM »

The only issue I would say is they use PPPOE for their FTTP. This means if you want to use PFsense or Opnsense you need a very beefy processor in order to get full speed.

Just wanted to say that the Celeron N5105 handles this like a breeze.

OpenVPN does absolutely hammer it, but still pushes 500Mbit.  For some reason I've been having real issues with AirVPNs Wireguard servers lately so haven't been able to test that.
Pages: 1 2 [3]

anything