Broadband Related > ISPs

Are Zen still recommended?

(1/7) > >>

Jon21:
I've had notification of a price rise incoming from Sky. I'm thinking of trying Zen again. Didn't have any problems with them when I was last with them, although have seen some threads and reviews recently which suggest they may have gone down hill?

On the package options, I get offered Unlimited Fibre 1 and 2 but the default seems to be without phone line rental. There's an option to add digital voice, which increases the price. Does that mean that they are now selling SOGEA connections as default?

burakkucat:

--- Quote from: Jon21 on March 14, 2022, 07:18:05 PM ---. . . I get offered Unlimited Fibre 1 and 2 but the default seems to be without phone line rental. There's an option to add digital voice, which increases the price. Does that mean that they are now selling SOGEA connections as default?

--- End quote ---

From what you have described, yes, it does appear to be so.

Alex Atkin UK:
All I can say is I'm happy with Zen and plan to stick with them for the foreseeable future.

AnthonyG:
The only issue I would say is they use PPPOE for their FTTP. This means if you want to use PFsense or Opnsense you need a very beefy processor in order to get full speed.

Other ISPs such as TalkTalk offer FTTP over DHCP. Meaning you can get full speeds from a very moderate processor (e.g J1900) I personally think these ISPs should be supported and it makes life much easier.

Alex Atkin UK:
By todays standards I'd say a J1900 is a pocket calculator and its not Zens fault FreeBSD has a horrible PPP implementation.

I'd absolutely love to be done with PPP, but most ISPs use it because it ties into their legacy accounting system which might date back to dialup days.  When even A&A use it (allowing them to offer L2TP), I don't think you can call out Zen for doing so.

I get the principle, without PPP it would still be enough for a basic router, but to suggest you need a beefy CPU seems a bit of an exaggeration, considering what a beefy CPU is today.  Plus if you're doing so little you aren't taxing a J1900, do you even NEED pfSense?

Even if Zen was DHCP, I have AAISP L2TP and several OpenVPN instances on my box, so a J1900 would have a very bad time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version