Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Would It be worth me going across to ADSL2+  (Read 5492 times)

Broadband1

• Reg Member
Would It be worth me going across to ADSL2+
« on: August 16, 2008, 01:28:19 PM »

Hey all,
          I was wandering if it would be worthwhile for me to go across to ADSL2+ . Here are my line stats.

Link Information

Uptime: 1 day, 4:22:25

Modulation: G.992.1 annex A

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 8,128

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [GB/MB]: 2.11 / 821.45

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 11.5 / 19.5

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 12.5 / 18.0

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 26.0 / 22.5

Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ALCB

Line Profile: Interleaved

Would there be any real advantage to me going from Max to 2+

Broadband1

• Reg Member
Re: Would It be worth me going across to ADSL2+
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 01:56:02 PM »

Also would it be possible to still have Interleaving turned on if i switch because having it on bought me an extra 1mb speed

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2008, 02:29:25 PM »

I havn't had the opertunity to work on adsl2 so far

Your attenuation is excellent so that certainly bodes well

downstream snrm @ 18..... :hmm:

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2008, 02:39:31 PM »

Yeah I know - theres something weird about that figure - its too high for some strange reason. :/

bb1 - iirc didnt you have some problems with stability on your line in the past..  hence the interleaving.
erm.. actually no point turning it off atm - youre already sync'd at 8128 which is the highest sync speed on adsl1.
Your router must be using something called S=1/2mode which allows interleaved lines to sync at up to the full 8128 kbps

With adsl 2+ things are a little different.  If you go LLU, then each LLU supplier will have their own rules and DLM profiles.
If youre talking adsl2+ with BT, then you need to be with an ISP thats currently supporting it and also on one of the exchanges that supports it.
If you can get it bear in mind that it is very new and there has been some teething problems so far.

As a very rough guide based on an attenuation of 18dB, then you should get somewhere in the region of around/up to 18Mb on adsl2+

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Broadband1

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2008, 07:05:44 PM »

Yeah there was a very bad stability issue on my line in the past like the 500k limitation and things like that but the only time I have dropouts is when the electicity goes (I'm on a pre-payment meter not dodgy electrics  :) ) and 18mbps doesn't sound bad thats x3 what I get now approximately, I get 6800k on a 7000k IP Profile

PS. I know my SNRM looks high but my router reports wierd readings often as when I first got broadband 8months ago my router would show 51.0db attenuation so I think it's just the router playing up again  :)

Quinnbeast

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2008, 06:24:55 PM »

I’ve switched to ADSL2+ through my enta reseller, and although I’ve seen speeds around 15000kbps, more often than not I'm only getting speeds similar to my ADSL Max connection – around 5500kbps. Regardless of my actual throughput, I’m generally syncing at about 18000kbps.

Initially, my upload was very slow - below 200kbps at times, but that’s now sorted and it’s over 1000, so things are getting better.

I’ve had no stability issues so far, but my download and transfer rates aren’t what they should be. It’s very early days, and there are certainly some issues to be resolved, much like ADSL Max during its infancy. Some people are very quick to complain about poor speeds, but it was never going to be a smooth transition for everyone. It's worth remembering that ADSL2+ is pretty much just a by-product of BTs new network.

Azzaka

• Reg Member
  • SysAdmin
    • A Designers Work in Progress
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2008, 12:33:23 PM »

With a 2+ account Kitz is right, you should get about 18mb downtsream at a push. The high SNR could just be the modem or it oculd be that you do have alot of noise. I would suggest, worst case senario you would be looking at, 12mb.
I Sync', I Auth', therefore I am.