Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: EASTF FTTP Spinal Cabling Works  (Read 1966 times)

Starman

• Reg Member
EASTF FTTP Spinal Cabling Works
« on: July 02, 2022, 09:15:07 PM »

EASTF Exchange - Noted last few weeks that CBT and fiber pull to poles down my road and the surrounding area with roadworks.org stating spinal cabling works. Sadly it appears my pole specifically has not been completed which I suspect is due to it being a classified D pole (from prior knowledge - previous fault repair 4 years ago was going to be delayed for a week until an unexpected bucket arrived to coincidentally install new line across the road very fortunate)

Hoping that @Black Sheep might be able to offer some guidance as should I expect them to return and replace the pole and then complete the fiber pull and CBT install? I know within my utility we can still utilize D poles (adding/removing services etc) as long as access is via a method other than a ladder (e.g. bucket) or if not could there be a specific delay any potential for order from myself.

Interestingly already about a week ago a non-addressee mailer from Sky offering me to pre-register although I have already with my existing ISP Zen  :fingers:.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2022, 11:58:32 PM by Starman »

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: EASTF FTTP Spinal Cabling Works
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2022, 10:42:33 AM »

Hi Starman

All D (Dangerous) Poles have a 'classification code' and a subsequent 'permitted works allowed', applied to them, when tested via our in-house pole testers.

I'm not going to go through all of them, but two examples are ....

1) Decay (class code) - Do not climb, do not attach or remove any furniture (permitted works allowed).

2) Shallow Depth (class code) - Do not climb, but furniture can be added or removed (apart from Aerial Cables) with the use of a hoist (permitted works allowed).

Both these poles will be on Asset Assurances 'books' to be changed, but with the sheer amount of poles we have in the ground, the shallow depth one will be years out, with the decayed poles taking precedence.
Even then, it could be months/years before they get changed out, only if a customers circuit fault is found to be linked to the D-Pole, will it jump the queue.

With the FTTP roll-out though, we can push these change-out dates with the co-operation of our contractor, but the dwell times can still run into months, which puts the FTTP roll-out glide path into jeapordy.
So in a nutshell, to keep things moving, if yours is a shallow-depth pole, the lads will definitely use the hoist to hang the necessary equipment, and the survey network note for your premises will also say 'Overhead work - hoist required' for when you order the FTTP service.

In time, Asset Assurance will be back to swop said pole out, for one that is sunk at a proper depth.  Hope this makes sense ??

Starman

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2022, 08:37:47 PM »

Yeah helpful as I suspected - I'll just keep an eye on it and hope I'm (and other ~10 houses on the DP) not left out when everything eventually goes live :)

Starman

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2022, 09:15:14 AM »

Progress - my camera alerted me to movement and a contractor pole lorry and bucket had parked across my driveway. Hour later phone alerted to say my cameras were offline and finally came home to find pole had been exchanged and a CBT had been mounted to a shiney new pole  :fingers: :)

Also noted the wholesale checker now states upto 1000Mbps FTTPoD whereas previously it was only upto 330Mbps.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2022, 09:27:41 AM by Starman »

Starman

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2022, 07:57:16 AM »

That was quick - FTTP WBC now available and my order submitted install dated for 24/10 :)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2022, 01:14:20 PM »

I guess they only had to hook that CBT up to an existing live splitter.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors