Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: FTTP ONT and PoE  (Read 2420 times)

displaced

• Reg Member
FTTP ONT and PoE
« on: July 24, 2022, 05:37:21 PM »

[Moderator note: This post and all that follow have been split off from the Zen FTTC to BT FTTP Migration topic.]

Glad I stumbled across this thread!

Recently moved to YouFibre FTTP and have a honking great big Adtran ONT.  The Openreach ones are much prettier.  The Adtran being black doesn’t help it blend in!

I used to power my HG612 using a pair of those little dongles that used a spare pair in the cat6 cable to supply power.  Obviously, on FTTP I need all those pairs for gigabit data these days.

But I do miss the neatness of just having the one ethernet run out to the ONT from under my stairs where a gigabit switch and router live.  So I’ve just ordered the same PoE injector and splitter.

I like the idea of using a deep section of capped trunking to hold all the PoE gubbins and to hide the fibre entry point, which is just an unfinished hole below the ONT.

I’m kinda tempted to disassemble the ONT and spray the shell white.  But I won’t, because I imagine YouFibre wouldn’t be too happy about that.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2022, 11:22:13 PM by burakkucat »
YouFibre 1Gbit, OPNsense on Intel N100.  Ubiquiti UAPs.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: FTTP ONT and PoE
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2022, 05:45:35 PM »

YouFibre ONTs are 10Gbit capable aren't they?  Kinda explains why they would be bigger as they're a much higher-end ONT and will need more cooling.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2022, 10:49:42 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

displaced

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2022, 10:09:29 PM »

Ah, good point.  Maybe the single ethernet port on it is 10G capable.  There aren’t any ventilation slots on it and it’s very light and hollow-sounding.  But you could well be right!

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2022, 10:58:55 PM »

Is it this one?
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2022, 11:32:52 PM »

Is it this one?

That is an Adtran 622v.

I suspect that displaced has an Adtran 621, just like Ixel describes in his "Diary of My Experiences with Lightning Fibre (FTTP local ISP)" thread.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2022, 09:43:12 AM »

That is an Adtran 622v.

I suspect that displaced has an Adtran 621, just like Ixel describes in his "Diary of My Experiences with Lightning Fibre (FTTP local ISP)" thread.

Community Fibre install the Adtran 621, saw one on Friday, only took CF 8 months to install from point of order.

Mark07

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2022, 11:39:51 AM »

That is an Adtran 622v.

Indeed, they are a bit smaller, like you say probably due to the lack of a 10Gbe port on them!

displaced

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2022, 11:49:20 AM »

That is an Adtran 622v.

Mine looks identical to the 621, but has a single ‘GE’ port — no 10GE is present.

The label says it’s an SDX 621i.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2022, 05:40:13 PM »

After a quick rummage around on the Adtran web-site, I downloaded a copy of the SDX 600 Series data sheet. From that document I extracted the image attached below.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2022, 07:21:39 PM »

Recently moved to YouFibre FTTP and have a honking great big Adtran ONT.  The Openreach ones are much prettier.  The Adtran being black doesn’t help it blend in!

I’m kinda tempted to disassemble the ONT and spray the shell white.  But I won’t, because I imagine YouFibre wouldn’t be too happy about that.

That's unfortunate. If my memory serves me right the Adtran ONT I've got is white with a 'Lightning Fibre' logo on it. When I next go in the 'homelab' room I'll have a check and if I'm wrong then I'll edit this post.

Yes, I don't imagine YouFibre would like that. If you have a 3D printer you could possibly print an outer shell with some ventilation, a sufficient hole for LEDs and another for wiring. Not a lot of people have 3D printers or perhaps even a sufficiently sized bed to print that kind of idea on.

Dwight

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2022, 09:54:10 PM »

[Moderator note: This post and all that follow have been split off from the Zen FTTC to BT FTTP Migration topic.]

Why don't you get Adtran to send you a white one! Give customer support a ring!

XGS_Is_On

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2022, 02:38:27 AM »

Adtran won't send one for free, YouFibre won't provision a random ONT a customer provides. YouFibre provide what they have in stock which as far as I know are only black ones.
YouFibre You8000 customer: symmetrical 8 Gbps.

Yes, more money than sense. Story of my life.