Computer Software > Windows 10

Adding a 4TB Disk to Windows 10

(1/6) > >>

aesmith:
Hi,
I wonder if anyone can give any pointers.  My desktop PC has an SSD system disk, partitioned as C: and D: and a 2TB data disk E:. I was intending to replace the 2TB drive, which is starting to have issues, with a 4TB.  The problem is that my Windows 10 doesn't see the disk at all. It is visible in the BIOS. When I disconnected both the existing drives leaving only the 4TB connected, I was able to boot off USB and install Windows 10 onto the disk

It just doesn't seem to be visible from my actual working Windows 10 installation.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Tony S

g3uiss:
It’s a limit of the partitioning scheme MBR. you can change to GPT and it should be recognised. Gparted should do this for you.

aesmith:
Thanks.  I must say I thought if that was the limit then Windows would have recognised it but only created a 2TB partition.  That was what happened when I installed Windows onto it, so presumably that windows install would have configured it as GPT.  Unless I completely misunderstand, but I am assuming the MBR vs GPT issue is on a disk by disk basis, not determined by the Windows system disk.

I'm trying Gparted just now, first attempt it just boots to the grub prompt with no particular indication of how to take it from there, all the notes seem to expect it to boot straight into the graphical application.  Assuming I get it to work, what should I do with Gparted to make that change?  Or is it self explanatory?

g3uiss:
Create a bootable gparted and launch. You should see all the disks in the system. Chose the 4tb one and partition GPT. Reboot into windows and it should be visible. You need to create from the gparted live iso.

aesmith:
Cheers, I'm losing the battle with Gparted trying to use their Live CD image on a bootable USB.  First attempt didn't go further than the grub> prompt.  Second attempt brings up the menu but selecting any option comes up with the error that it can't find "/live/vmlinuz".  Third attempt using "tuxboot" to create the USB, any menu option gives a great long list of files missing.

There are other partitions tools, but most seem to want to be installed on Windows, and I suspect that they won't work anyway if Windows simply doesn't think the disk exists.

I'm still unconvinced there isn't something else going on. Surely when I installed Windows onto the 4TB drive it must have configured that as GPT?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version