Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: windows 10 - how to permantly un-install the "junk" pre-installed apps  (Read 3278 times)

chenks

• Kitizen

anyone know to make windows 10 stop re-installing the "built-in" apps that i am un-installing via the powershell (administrator privelidges)?

i am running 2 scripts to achieve this (which apparently should work)

Code: [Select]
Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers | Remove-AppxPackagethis script removes all the "junk" apps that windows 10 like to pre-install

Get-AppxPackage -allusers Microsoft.WindowsStore | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}this script re-installs the Microsoft Store (which is removed as part of the first script).

this seems to work fine in that all the junk apps are removed (or appear to be removed), but after a period of time (usually after a reboot) windows decides to re-install them all again. same happens if a new user logs in, all the previsously removed apps re-appear.

there's only so many times i have the will to remove "3d viewer" or "mixed reality portal" (to name just 2).

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors

Fairly sure there is no permanent solution, these apps are supposed to be part of the OS.  Its stupid, but it is what it is.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

chenks

• Kitizen

not sure why Xbox Console Companion and Xbox Game bar can be considered part of the OS on Windows 10 Pro connected to a corporate domain.
i can't imagine there is no way to fully removed this in a business environment.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors

Sure, if you have a Windows Server managing the clients.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

chenks

• Kitizen

well we do, but these are windows 7 PCs being upgraded to Windows 10

and to further confuse matters, it appears that the PCs that shipped with Windows 10 have no problem leaving the un-installed apps un-installed.
it's the PCs that have been upgraded from 7 to 10 that seem to have the issue with re-installing.

all are running 21H2 (be it win10 pre-installed or 7 upgraded to 10)

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions

I’m pretty sure if you go to the windows store and disable updates, that will stop their reinstallation. I think there is a GPO for this but can’t just find it.
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

gt94sss2

• Kitizen

i am running 2 scripts to achieve this (which apparently should work)

Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers | Remove-AppxPackagethis script removes all the "junk" apps that windows 10 like to pre-install

Have a look at https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/easily-remove-bloatware-windows-10/

According to that, Remove-AppxPackage just hides the apps - not deletes them. The web page suggests a couple of ways to achieve what you want though.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP

Ideally you would do it in nlite prior to installation, but is possible they would come back after first feature update.

Check this script around line 1500.

https://github.com/ChrisTitusTech/win10script/blob/master/win10debloat.ps1

This is what I was looking into if I migrate to Windows 10 Pro.

I can confirm though the normal removal as said by gt94ss2 just hides, as last year sometime I was trying to clear up space on the windows drive on windows 10 pro in a VM and was surprised to find many gigs of windows apps installed that were not visible.

chenks

• Kitizen

Ideally you would do it in nlite prior to installation, but is possible they would come back after first feature update.

Check this script around line 1500.

https://github.com/ChrisTitusTech/win10script/blob/master/win10debloat.ps1

This is what I was looking into if I migrate to Windows 10 Pro.

I can confirm though the normal removal as said by gt94ss2 just hides, as last year sometime I was trying to clear up space on the windows drive on windows 10 pro in a VM and was surprised to find many gigs of windows apps installed that were not visible.

i looked at this and tried it

iwr -useb https://git.io/JJ8R4 | iex
but it didn't seem to offer any options to remove the pre-installed apps

anything