Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Talk Talk FTTC to FTTP Free Upgrade?  (Read 1785 times)

tiffy

• Kitizen
Talk Talk FTTC to FTTP Free Upgrade?
« on: March 09, 2022, 12:54:32 PM »

A neighbour of mine who is currently with Talk Talk, FTTC & phone service claims he is being offered a free FTTP upgrade, not completely sure how the phone service which he wishes to retain features with the deal being offered.
I know TT have been offering ADSL to VDSL upgrades but have not heard of free FTTC to FTTP upgrades, have I missed this?

My neighbour is I believe currently paying for 80/20 FTTC VDSL service (or whatever the TT data estimated equivalent for this is), however, by virtue of his copper line length he received close to 40 Mbps DS synch, will never achieve close to 80 Mbps on FTTC.
My neighbour is an average non-tech person and relates that the TT sales person appears to be describing the benefits associated with FTTP service but relating that his DS speed will increase to approx 80 Mbps with the service being offered, certainly not even the minimum 150/30 FTTP service associated with OR, confusing!
BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: Talk Talk FTTC to FTTP Free Upgrade?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2022, 01:11:36 PM »

Talk Talk do offer 40/10 and 80/20 FTTP.

They even do 0.5/0.5 FTTP, but  :lol:

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2022, 02:45:11 PM »

Talk Talk do offer 40/10 and 80/20 FTTP.

Didn't realise that, thought that the OR 150/30 FTTP service was the minimum speed provision available.
Would the FTTC/FTTP upgrade even at these lower speed provisions be likely to be free?
Anyone had personal experience of such an upgrade with TT?

AnthonyG

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2022, 03:14:04 PM »

But its free to install FTTP (or it was with my with TalkTalk install). Therefore you would just contact them and they will install it and then you would switch over at the rate of the FTTP.

They come and install a separate FTTP connection and don't touch your current openreach master socket on the wall at all.

If the FTTP is the same price as the VDSL then it would just be a switch over from the vDSL connection to the FTTP that when its installed.

I would strongly recommend you do it. Not just in terms of speed but in terms of reliability. There is no line syncing, nor nothing else. Ping is a constant 6ms. It just works perfectly. You can even turn off your router to save electricity overnight and it will be perfect as soon as you turn it back on the next morning (so no drop in speed whatsoever).

I get 500mb/s through TalkTalk and it is honestly the case that I can download from the internet faster than I can transfer a file from a USB3 hard drive. And way faster than USB2 hard drive. Its unreal. I still literally feel like I need to pinch myself as it goes so fast. I can download a 50GB blu-ray in literally 11mins. That is how fast it is.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2022, 05:21:42 PM by AnthonyG »

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2022, 09:52:25 PM »

@AnthonyG:
Many thanks for the detailed explanation, I was certainly confused with my neighbours offer of 80 Mbps DL speed which I know could never be possible on his FTTP VDSL service.
He is being quite persistantly and aggressively marketed by TT both in writing and by phone calls to sign up to the offer but is dubious regarding the actual fibre install process as we are UG fed service with the POTS non-ducted, since full fibre became available last year the OR installs observed to date have been a very shallow dig across the front garden and through the nearest wall where the ONT is sighted.

However, I would agree with you that he should go ahead with the fibre install with all it's associated benefits, has to be done at some stage.
Can always upgrade speeds if deemed necessary once the fibre is installed.
I'am currently awaiting FTTP install this month (hopefully) with BT under similar logistical circumstances.
TT obviously have a vested interest in maintaining his phone service on copper as they have LLU presence in our local exchange.

Edit: Typo correction.