Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Bridgend FTTP rollout  (Read 8469 times)

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
Re: Bridgend FTTP rollout
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2022, 11:02:40 AM »

I actually reached out to YouFibre: -

I've just checked some details with our build team, and at present your address is still in the planning stages. Which means that unfortunately I can't give a clear answer as to whether or not we will be expanding into your address after the work is completed in Bridgend. I'm sure you probably know but there are lots of moving parts in laying the network and while Netomnia are still planning their roll out it could be a variable amount of time before the work is completed.

What I would suggest however is if you have registered your interest on the website, we will notify you once we are at the actual building stage in the area. At which point we can give a much clearer idea of when you will be ready to place an order.

Sorry as this is probably not what you wanted to hear but rest assured we are certainly interested in getting you ready for service as soon as possible.

Keep on waiting then
Starlink and AAISP L2TP combo routed by opnSense on proxmox

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2022, 08:19:37 AM »

So, tracking bidb.uk - Netomnia (YouFibre) have been gradually moving north through Bridgend with roadworks.

On the road behind my house: -

install FW6 chamber in footway, linking ducts to existing BT chamber

And this there are a few of these heading towards the exchange.

I take it this is good news? :)

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2022, 10:35:53 AM »

And this morning whilst out shopping spotted a Netomnia van about half a mile or so from where I live. That would definitely be on the same exchange as me - so yes looks like it’s on the way.

Mark07

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2022, 11:29:37 AM »

Lots of Bridgend already RFS and lots almost there, PM me your postcode if you want and i'll see what I can see

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2022, 03:25:49 PM »

I take it this is good news? :)

Yes, indeed.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

terrencem

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2022, 07:56:23 PM »

An update on FTTP progress on the Maesteg exchange. Lots of digging and duct laying, a couple of contractors fixed a 'pole bend' on the pole outside my house just this afternoon. I've also seen a few CBT's going up on poles.
One strange thing I have noticed, looking at bidb.uk , there is lots of activity planned for Llangynwyd (where I am), Cwmfelin, Garth and Maesteg itself, but nothing north of Maesteg.
This is odd as Nantyffyllon and Caerau are on the Maesteg exchange. Is it possible that the area south of Maesteg will have FTTP available and enabled first or will there be a delay while the area north of the town gets fibred up?

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2022, 08:16:26 PM »

Is it possible that the area south of Maesteg will have FTTP available and enabled first or will there be a delay while the area north of the town gets fibred up?

Very rare for them to hold up 1 area going live to wait on another area going live, unless both areas are waiting on something further upstream.

Under normal circumstances the area to the South would go live 1st.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2022, 10:47:12 AM »

An update on FTTP progress on the Maesteg exchange. Lots of digging and duct laying, a couple of contractors fixed a 'pole bend' on the pole outside my house just this afternoon. I've also seen a few CBT's going up on poles.
One strange thing I have noticed, looking at bidb.uk , there is lots of activity planned for Llangynwyd (where I am), Cwmfelin, Garth and Maesteg itself, but nothing north of Maesteg.
This is odd as Nantyffyllon and Caerau are on the Maesteg exchange. Is it possible that the area south of Maesteg will have FTTP available and enabled first or will there be a delay while the area north of the town gets fibred up?

It all depends on capacity of existing spine-fibres, as to how the roll-out plan will be put in place, and what is lit first ?.

OR would normally build from the Exchange outwards, so the PON's closest to the Exchange on (we'll call it 'Spine A') would be lit first, followed by the rest of the PON's on 'Spine A' moving outwards.
Whilst this is occurring, civils and cabling/splicing work would be in play pulling in Spine B, Spine C ... etc etc.

I can see that a large number of PON's have been manually surveyed around the middle of the Maesteg area ... and a large number of surveys created, but yet to be manually surveyed around the outer regions .... including Nantyffyllon and Caerau.

terrencem

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2023, 04:42:27 PM »

A update on what’s happening in the Maesteg area. OR have been busy in my street pulling what looks like a green microduct through the ducts to the base of the telephone poles. So hopefully it wont be too long before the fibre is blown through and CBT’s go up. FTTP is already available in parts of Maesteg, so OR seem to speeding up their work in the area.
Netomnia have said they have plans to build their network in the Maesteg exchange area some time this year, but I know nothing more than that.
Ogi have today announced that they are building their network in the area. On the bidb.uk map they are planning to install over a dozen of what they call “SAN CABS” (Storage Area.Network cabs?), I’ve never heard of these before, does anyone know what these are?
So with a bit of luck I could go from not having any FTTP options now to having 3 by the end of the year! Happy days!!

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2023, 06:54:42 PM »

I can tell you all about Ogi, I work for them.

The SAN is a service area node, and are deployed out from our active cabinet that is deployed within a build town.

You may well think I’m biased but I guarantee you will have a great experience on our network :)

terrencem

« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2023, 03:08:26 PM »

Lots of OR vans in the area in the last few days, so things seem to be progressing well.
Something which is progressing less well is the bidb.uk roadworks tracker - it no longer shows any roadworks! It says "Despite offering assistance to fetch the data that Better Internet Dashboard provides, Grepsr are sustaining an attack on our APIs.

For this reason, this feed is disabled."
Grespr are a web scraping service based in Nepal.
Does anyone know where bidb.uk got their unusually detailed info from?

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2023, 04:15:33 PM »

For round here it seems to be the same as roadworks.org except they do the very useful thing of translating who the works is on behalf and putting an icon, so you can see at a glance whereas roadworks.org you have to click to get that info.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

terrencem

« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2023, 04:18:03 PM »

The bidb.uk website seems to be working again now. Showing lots of activity in the Maesteg area, mainly by Ogi.
Openreach are busy in my street at the moment, they've put up the ONT's on all the poles, and are currently working in the pavement chamber outside my house. Chatting to one of the engineers he says that if all goes well I should be able to order FTTP in about 4-6 weeks.
Ogi have started preping sites for their cab's. There appear to be 2-3 sites for them in the village of Llangynwyd where I am. This seems like a lot considering that there are only 2 BT cab's in the village. How many users can be connected to one Ogi cab?

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2023, 04:33:00 PM »

Openreach will be putting CBTs on poles :)

ONT is what goes inside the customers house.

As for Ogi, 500 customers per SAN, but ultimately there's 64 customers per PON port.

terrencem

« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2023, 04:45:49 PM »

Openreach will be putting CBTs on poles :)

ONT is what goes inside the customers house.

As for Ogi, 500 customers per SAN, but ultimately there's 64 customers per PON port.

Of course!! Silly me. Getting overexcited.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4