Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Bridgend FTTP rollout  (Read 8467 times)

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
Bridgend FTTP rollout
« on: March 07, 2022, 07:05:50 PM »

So just reading that our MP met with Openreach last week, and was informed that 87,000 homes and businesses will have access to FTTP by the end of this year, £30m investment.

Happy days

:fingers:  :)

Guess I won’t bother with an FTTPoD order now. Even better.
Starlink and AAISP L2TP combo routed by opnSense on proxmox

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: Bridgend FTTP rollout
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2022, 09:54:31 PM »

Worth noting, you might want to consider putting pfSense on bare-metal before then.  Seen a fair few people claiming the latency is lower and throughput a lot higher than in a VM.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

kjw

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2022, 12:54:32 PM »

That's not true for me now, I realised passing through the NIC resolved it and now have the same latency as if it was running bare metal.

I am using a recent Intel i350 quad port adaptor though, via ESXi (with an older i7 6700)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2022, 02:38:56 PM by kjw »
ZEN 900/100 via pfSense | Unifi AC-HD WiFi
Speed Test | BQM Graph

terrencem

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2022, 09:30:45 PM »

The early surveying work ,in Bridgend County at least, has started already. Last week 4-5 Openreach vans were parked in my street and half a dozen OR workmen were rodding the ducts looking for blockages and pulling blue ropes through them. They said that FTTP is being installed in our area but couldn't give a date for it at this stage.
I was surprised to see them prepping my area for FTTP so soon (I'm on the Maesteg exchange), I would have thought that they would have done Bridgend Town or Port Talbot first.
Does anyone know how long it typically takes to go from this early stage to being able to order a fibre install. My current ISP contract is almost up and I'm wondering if I should have a new contract lasting just 12 months rather than 18 or 24 months.
Thanks. 

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2022, 01:39:26 AM »

There is no "typical" for FTTP, could take a month or two, could take a year.  Though I'd certainly hope not the latter, its not unheard of.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2022, 10:58:29 AM »

I was surprised to see them prepping my area for FTTP so soon (I'm on the Maesteg exchange), I would have thought that they would have done Bridgend Town or Port Talbot first.

Thanks.

Maesteg looks to be 2/3 'manual survey complete' stage, with approx 1/3 left to be surveyed.

It sounds like you lie within the 2/3 terrencem, especially if work has started such as the 'Test, Rod & Rope' work you mention below.
If that is the case, a typical turnaround for Openreach to build the PON (120 premises maximum per PON, usually) ... is approximately 10 weeks. There are many, many variables that can alter this forecast, but I'd say it's around 70-80% accurate.

There is then a a period of dwell time with the service providers once Openreach hand the PON over as 'Customer Ready For Service'. Trying to give exact dates is like trying to work out what is going on in Putin's head.

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2022, 02:29:14 PM »

Black Sheep, sorry to ask you directly but do you have any information on the Aberkenfig exchange? That is where I am.

There are streets around me that have had FTTP for some time, but I'm torn about going FTTPoD

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2022, 02:54:51 PM »

The early surveying work ,in Bridgend County at least, has started already. Last week 4-5 Openreach vans were parked in my street and half a dozen OR workmen were rodding the ducts looking for blockages and pulling blue ropes through them. They said that FTTP is being installed in our area but couldn't give a date for it at this stage.
Does anyone know how long it typically takes to go from this early stage to being able to order a fibre install. My current ISP contract is almost up and I'm wondering if I should have a new contract lasting just 12 months rather than 18 or 24 months.
Thanks.

There are a few areas in Bridgend that have Virgin Media - maybe they aren't rushing to go do Bridgend town as quickly because of that.

Not sure, I'm speculating admittedly.

terrencem

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2022, 03:28:46 PM »

If that is the case, a typical turnaround for Openreach to build the PON (120 premises maximum per PON, usually) ... is approximately 10 weeks. There are many, many variables that can alter this forecast, but I'd say it's around 70-80% accurate.

Thanks for that.
That's quite a bit faster than I would have expected. I'll go for 12 month contract rather than a 18 or 24 month one or get one where I can change to a FTTP product without penalty.
I'd be interested in FTTP more for the reliability aspect rather than the speed, thanks to vectoring being enabled on my cab I can get about 55mbps, but a couple of years ago I had a nightmare 6 months where I would be getting up to a dozen or more resyncs a day. It took about ten engineer visits to find and fix it.
Again, Thanks for the reply.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2022, 08:02:01 PM »

Black Sheep, sorry to ask you directly but do you have any information on the Aberkenfig exchange? That is where I am.

There are streets around me that have had FTTP for some time, but I'm torn about going FTTPoD

Not a problem, will have a look when I'm back in tomorrow mate.

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2022, 08:40:43 PM »

Thank you, sir. That is much appreciated!

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2022, 01:12:47 PM »

Hi mate - similar reply to a PM I've replied to earlier today on here - you are in the same boat as myself at the moment I'm afraid, only 'New sites', 'Retro New Sites' and 'LFFN' projects have FTTP in Aberkenfig. Nothing in place as yet,  for the remainder of premises that I have sight of.

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2022, 02:16:20 PM »

Damn. Oh well, thanks for looking!

terrencem

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2022, 04:54:29 PM »

Damn. Oh well, thanks for looking!

It might me worthwhile putting your postcode into the netomnia checker (https://www.netomnia.com/).
According the this news item on ispreview.co.uk on December 2nd, they are rolling out their own FTTP network. Just in Bridgend town at first but eventually the whole of Bridgend county.

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2022, 08:50:14 PM »

Yeah tried my postcode and "not in your area".

I did come to a final decision on FTTPoD - can't justify it - so will simply wait until it's rolled out.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

anything