Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: FTTP - Dexgreen inside out cable failure  (Read 652 times)

adrenalize

FTTP - Dexgreen inside out cable failure
« on: February 27, 2022, 10:28:31 PM »

Just for interest as fault fixed - I had an LOS on my ONT last week 2 months after install - nothing intermittent before etc and some neighbours still on so looking at something splitter or downstream.

Using a visible red light source the OR engineer couldn't see any red light spilling at the splice in the CSP -  they did wonder initially about the connectorised cable from the CBT as everything looked OK visually internally - but did then break open the splice and absolutely no visible light from the inside out cable.

So decided to replace it - no visible physical damage to the fibre at all, but no light being passed and new one works just fine.

Myself and the engineer were a bit surprised - given there was no external damage and it worked fine for 2 months! I think I heard the original engineer say a light reading of ~16 and the same on the new cable - so not sure what has gone on there. Obviously it degraded enough to give the LOS.

The old cable was away in their rubbish bag - maybe I should of asked to keep it and see if the connector was faulty or there was a mysterious break in the fibre!

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: FTTP - Dexgreen inside out cable failure
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2022, 11:26:27 PM »

The old cable was away in their rubbish bag - maybe I should of asked to keep it and see if the connector was faulty or there was a mysterious break in the fibre!

I'd kinda hope they would send it off to the manufacturer to investigate when its unexplained like that.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2022, 04:30:54 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: FTTP - Dexgreen inside out cable failure
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2022, 11:10:33 AM »

Yup - as above - the power level at the CBT should be within -15dBm and -26dBm, so -16dBm is well within parameters for the circuit.

Sounds very much a manufacturing issue.

anything