Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: pc using which wireless network?  (Read 4330 times)

davethurston

• Just arrived
pc using which wireless network?
« on: February 23, 2022, 01:18:59 PM »

Situation is I have a tablet and a raspberry pi on my home network, both of which are 2.4Ghz and 5.0Ghz capable.
From either machine, I can see that both are connected ok to the router's network  - they have been allocated addresses such as 192.168.1.13 and 1.14.
Without connecting in to each wireless network in turn, is there an easy way of telling, from either machine, via which wireless network the OTHER machine is connected, ie the 2.4 version or the 5.0 one?
The wireless networks have different names such as TT2 and TT5.
Cannot reliably check via windows explorer network to see which machines are connected as connected status of some machines can be erratic -  sometimes they will show up and sometimes not, even though I can telnet in to them.
Am i missing something obvious?

petef

• Reg Member
Re: pc using which wireless network?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2022, 02:17:27 PM »

Your router should have a web interface. Without my having to log on mine shows device name, MAC and IP for connections on 2.4 and 5 GHz.

davethurston

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2022, 10:44:57 PM »

hi p,
thanks for idea.
 my hg635 talktalk router just says these devices are connected wirelessly, doesn't identify which band is used per device ( I think....)
perhaps a different router would provide an answer.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2022, 11:36:13 PM »

Strange it doesn't tell you at least what SSID they are connected to but yes, it depends on the router or Access Point.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2022, 01:58:17 PM »

Without connecting in to each wireless network in turn, is there an easy way of telling, from either machine, via which wireless network the OTHER machine is connected, ie the 2.4 version or the 5.0 one?
So to be clear, from the tablet you want to be able to see what wireless network the Pi is connected to.  And from the Pi you want to be able to see what network the tablet is on?  If that's correct it seems unlikely to be possible.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2022, 02:30:25 PM »

So to be clear, from the tablet you want to be able to see what wireless network the Pi is connected to.  And from the Pi you want to be able to see what network the tablet is on?  If that's correct it seems unlikely to be possible.

Indeed, the only device that knows this is the Router/Access Point.  From a client perspective all the see is the SSID they are connected to and  the whole LAN, they have no clue if other devices or wired or wireless even.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

craigski

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2022, 04:22:36 PM »

hi p,
thanks for idea.
 my hg635 talktalk router just says these devices are connected wirelessly, doesn't identify which band is used per device ( I think....)
perhaps a different router would provide an answer.
Is the issue you are seeing is the 2.4 network devices can't see 5 devices? I recall something similar on BT Hubs last year, where the wireless bands would isolate devices, there was a firmware fix released.

petef

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2022, 10:59:49 PM »

On my Android phone I can use the Fing app to see which devices are present on the SSID I connect to.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2022, 05:55:33 PM »

On my Android phone I can use the Fing app to see which devices are present on the SSID I connect to.

I just checked Fing and if you tap Devices it shows the entire ARP table, every device on the LAN, not just those on that SSID.

If I check Network it says 29 devices on my SSID, there aren't, again that's the entire network.

Its scanning the network and from that point the fact a device is wireless or wired is completely invisible, as is kinda the point really.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2022, 06:04:58 PM by Alex Atkin UK »

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2022, 10:36:52 AM »

It shows all my devices, including my wired NAS box and wired PC!
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2022, 04:36:12 PM »

The only way one WiFi device is going to see the others in this way is with a toolset like Aircrack-ng.  Its not something you will inherently do as you have to take over the WiFi and monitor ALL traffic going over the air which uses tons of battery power, CPU and you can't actually USE WiFi while doing it.