Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Gather round, and listen to my tale of woe . .  (Read 16907 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Gather round, and listen to my tale of woe . .
« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2008, 12:41:55 PM »

>> "we can't move you over, as that product no longer exists". They are trying to get me to move to Max

Yes  although the BTw fixed rate products are still there, BTw is trying to slowly wind them down in favour of max and encouraging ISPs to use that.

Idea  :idea:

How about asking your ISP if they could put you on something called "BT IPStream Max - Capped Rate Profile 1000".  Your ISP may not be aware that this option exists.. but it is there specifically for longer lines like yours that may not perform too well on the standard Max product.

The pricing is the same as the Max product - its in the same product set... and from the stats youve provided so far, it should cope with the 1Mb speeds ok.  The advantage is that you wont have to worry about DLM and profiles which could likely affect your account on the standard Max product.

Like I say - they may not be aware of this option.. so you may have to be firm and in the end will hopefully get to speak to someone who is actually aware that there is such a thing offered by BTw and who is prepared to put you on it.
Stress that its part of Max.. but they do have to put in a separate request and it cant be ordered as normal.  If they still go "huh" ask them if they'd look it up in their "BT IPStream Max customer handbook".

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

idlewilde

« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2008, 12:48:22 PM »

Huge thanks for your help, Kitz. Seriously. I'll give it a try this evening. (Looking forward to 45 minutes queueing!)

I'll let you know what they say.

idlewilde

« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2008, 10:57:23 AM »

Right. Everyone stop what they're doing and look. Look at this. Look at my lovely profile.

ADSL Link     Downstream     Upstream
Connection Speed    1152 kbps    288 kbps
Line Attenuation    63.5 db    31.5 db
Noise Margin    11.4 db    20.0 db

See where the downstream connection speed reads 1, and then another 1 and then a 5 and then a 2? And an ever-so-cute kbs after that?

That to me means that after 9 months, 5 days and ooh, about 8 hours I am now the very proud owner of a 1Mb ADSL connection.

In about 24 hours, I should (there's that word!) be able to download at a blisteringly-fast 120Kb/s!

I'm like a dog with two tails! Now, stand back, I've got the internet to download!

Huge monstrous thanks to everyone who helped me in this epic battle against the problems I've been having. You people rock!

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #48 on: October 08, 2008, 11:30:17 AM »

A result! :) Just be careful what you do with those two tails :D
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #49 on: October 08, 2008, 04:44:52 PM »

Thats wonderful news.   :dance:
It looks like you are now on Max capped 1000, and your SNRM looks quite healthy atm.
I take it you managed to get through to someone at Virgin then, that understood :)

Nice result from a line that couldnt even hold 512kb not so very long ago and it looks like your hard work and perseverance has paid off.
Enjoy your new speeds  :clap:
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

idlewilde

« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2008, 05:22:35 PM »

I take it you managed to get through to someone at Virgin then, that understood :)

I went from Customer Service - Technical Support - Tier 2 Technical Support - Customer Service - Retentions, and when I spoke to a lady who wanted to know if I wanted to move to "big broadband for my computer" (?) I asked to speak to someone reasonably technical to talk about the ramifications of moving from fixed to rate-adaptive. This gentleman listened to me for a minute, asked me to hold for 30 seconds, came back on the line and said it would be done in 24 hours. I may have laughed at that point, but he assured me that this was the case, and lo and behold it is.

Moon. Over. I am.

;D

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #51 on: October 08, 2008, 05:47:23 PM »

:thumbs:

You too. For. Happy. I am. very.
-----
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]