Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: DSLStats on 64-bit Pi OS?  (Read 4824 times)

anoggin

DSLStats on 64-bit Pi OS?
« on: February 18, 2022, 09:11:47 PM »

Has anyone succeeded in running DSLStats on the 64-bit Raspberry Pi OS now that it is official?

I realise there is not likely to be a 64-bit recompile of DSLStats. I'm wondering whether one can install libraries on the OS to make the 32-bit version run. I've tried a few with no success.

Apologies for a question that may be more about Pi OS than about DSLStats.

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: DSLStats on 64-bit Pi OS?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2022, 09:45:11 PM »

I see 6.5.9 has source code.

Is it an armv7 or armv8 64 bit build you require?

anoggin

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2022, 09:57:02 PM »

I see 6.5.9 has source code.

Is it an armv7 or armv8 64 bit build you require?

Thanks for the reply. Pi 4 Model B, so armv8 as I understand it.  I'm a Windows programmer but I lack the knowledge to compile on the Pi. 

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2022, 11:52:26 AM »

Have had a play with 64b RPi OS (Bullseye) on my RPi-4B but have never had occasion to run DSLStats on this RPi or OS version.
As DSLStats runs perfectly on much lower spec RPi's, I used RPi-ZW's to monitor stat's on my son and daughters FTTC lines with VNC for remote access, directly powered from respective router USB sockets, I currently use a RPi-3B on my own FTTC line as I happen to have one spare.

However, I'am sure you have your reasons to try and run DSLStats on 64b RPi OS and apologies I can't offer any assistance on this.

I did experience an issue with RPi Bullseye OS (32b) running on RPi-4B on it's initial launch, very slow interface via VNC when running headless to Win 10 PC, there was a "temporary fix" available for this which worked.
https://forums.raspberrypi.com/viewtopic.php?t=323294&sid=ee85cb4a5ce3b1d64f2bb6446970f8d8
Noted that the latest 64b RPi Bullseye does not require this "fix" with headless interface via VNC.
BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

anoggin

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2022, 08:46:07 PM »

As DSLStats runs perfectly on much lower spec RPi's, I used RPi-ZW's to monitor stat's on my son and daughters FTTC lines with VNC for remote access, directly powered from respective router USB sockets,

Interesting idea, a Zero powered from the router's USB socket. Thanks.

As for the Pi 4B and 64-bit OS, I may have to bite the bullet and learn the compiler.

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2022, 08:56:13 PM »

As for the Pi 4B and 64-bit OS, I may have to bite the bullet and learn the compiler.

Code: [Select]
cat README.SOURCE
DSLstats v6.0.7 -->

This code can be built with Lazarus v1.4 (or later) and FPC v2.6.2 (or later)

Before loading the project you need to install three additional packages:
dsgraphs, uniqueinstance and lNet. There is also a third-party library:
synalist-code-207-trunk.

This library is not installed in the IDE, but you need to open the package laz_synapse.lpk
and compile it. When you build the program you may get an error message to say that the
compiler is unable t

I'm still reading the source code.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2022, 12:25:33 PM »

Yes, quite a few forum patrons adopted this power method with RPi-ZW's velcro'ed to the router case running DSLStats, Wi-Fi'ed to router, tidy and self contained, very popular when the excellent MDWS facility was running.

Of course the need for modem line stat's monitoring by any method is on the decline now with the ever increasing uptake of FTTP where available.
BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2022, 12:55:18 PM »

I powered my RPi 3B from my Zyxel VMG1312-B10A usb port for a couple years.
The RPi ran DSLStats and Pi-Hole 24/7.
It never once caused any issues despite the supposed higher power requirements of the 3B.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2022, 08:10:05 PM »

I powered my RPi 3B from my Zyxel VMG1312-B10A usb port for a couple years.
The RPi ran DSLStats and Pi-Hole 24/7.
It never once caused any issues despite the supposed higher power requirements of the 3B.

Probably as none of that would be really stressing the CPU, GPU and no USB devices plugged into the 3B would keep the load down also.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

anoggin

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2022, 08:37:12 PM »

Well, after a long delay I got round to doing this myself: compiling DSLStats source on a Pi running the 64-bit OS.  It is running perfectly.

All it took was installing Lazarus, then following the instructions in the source code's README.SOURCE to install various packages, compile some dependencies, and set one compiler path. 

I am reminded what a fine piece of programming DSLStats is.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2022, 08:43:07 PM »

Well, after a long delay I got round to doing this myself: compiling DSLStats source on a Pi running the 64-bit OS.  It is running perfectly.

Excellent news. Congratulations.

Yes, indeed.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

RTouris

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2023, 10:59:29 PM »

All it took was installing Lazarus, then following the instructions in the source code's README.SOURCE to install various packages, compile some dependencies, and set one compiler path. 

Hi, just wondering if DSLstats is still running OK with the 64-bit recompile and was it really under Raspbian Bullseye that you undertook this? Would it be OK if you shared the executable so I can have a go with it, too - if this is OK with the license that is... :)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2023, 08:01:44 PM by RTouris »

anything