Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Question about master socket connections  (Read 4874 times)

Edinburgh_lad

• Reg Member
Re: Question about master socket connections
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2022, 12:40:16 PM »

Thank you for your responses.

Yes, the polarity is ok. If I connect a digital phone (like Gigaset), then I don't seem to need the ring wire, as the phone seems to be ringing ok.

However, with the old GPO phone, it seems that I need this ring wire connected. I now wonder: has it not always been the case that one needed this ring wire for old phones?

Here's the photo of my phone.

Plus, with the analogue switch off, is there a way to keep this phone going? I know you can connect an analogue phone to a Fritzbox, but what will happen to our filters and phones like this one?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2022, 12:47:13 PM by Edinburgh_lad »

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2022, 12:46:53 PM »

I think it's called NTE5 socket. It looks like this:

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/GPNTE5.html

[Moderator edited to simplify the above URL.]

So you don't have an extension socket. You have 2 master sockets.

has it not always been the case that one needed this ring wire for old phones?

The rat tail filters and the Openreach SSFP's generate the ring without the need for the ring wire.
Your ADSLNation 1 looks like it doesn't.
The ring wire can negatively impact DSL services.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2022, 01:16:22 PM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2022, 12:50:09 PM »

... has it not always been the case that one needed this ring wire for old phones?

Yes they do need the ring wire connected but the ADSL Nation front plate should be doing that and you shouldn't need to run a separate wire.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2022, 12:52:43 PM by tubaman »
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2022, 01:16:43 PM »

Yes, the polarity is ok. If I connect a digital phone (like Gigaset), then I don't seem to need the ring wire, as the phone seems to be ringing ok.

However, with the old GPO phone, it seems that I need this ring wire connected. I now wonder: has it not always been the case that one needed this ring wire for old phones?

Here's the photo of my phone.

Plus, with the analogue switch off, is there a way to keep this phone going? I know you can connect an analogue phone to a Fritzbox, but what will happen to our filters and phones like this one?

The picture of that phone brings memories  :blush:
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2022, 06:28:49 PM »

It's a mess, basically, and trivial to resolve (as already advised). But you've decided to let the cat rule.  >:(

RealAleMadrid

• Reg Member
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2022, 07:03:01 PM »

Well it's Friday and I've had a beer or two after fixing parts of the garden fence that had blown down in the wind. i just thought there is one thing that cats like to do, you know where this is going, to play with rat's tails. ;D

Edinburgh_lad

• Reg Member
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2022, 07:17:17 PM »

It's a mess, basically, and trivial to resolve (as already advised). But you've decided to let the cat rule.  >:(

Happy cat = no mice! It's a naughty cat, anyway. He loves playing with toilet paper, too (mind, it was a precious commodity during the lockdown, so imagine my frustration), so I'd rather not tempt the beast with rat tails on top of everything.  :lol:

Hmm. Not sure it's a mess, anyway. It looks neat and tidy. I'd call it a 'pragmatic' approach. Besides, what's the difference between the XTE2005 and XTF68/85? Once you attach the XTE2005 to an NTE5, there's effectively no difference between both XTE2005 and XTF68. I don't think, anyway: both are sockets and both can be used as extension sockets. I know one of them can be called 'master socket', but let's forget about the nomenclature.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2022, 09:42:26 PM by Edinburgh_lad »

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2022, 08:20:57 PM »

I'm absolutely flummoxed  :-X , you have two NTE5s in series.
Both are capable of creating a bell wire signal.
So why use the first one to do it and put in a weird single-wire bypass (that WILL mess with your broadband) when you can bypass the first and the second one can do the job perfectly well.  :no:

It's a mess and I'm out, sorry.  :(

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2022, 10:01:44 PM »

Hmm. Not sure it's a mess, anyway. It looks neat and tidy.

He doesn't mean a mess aesthetically. It's a mess as an xDSL circuit.

The 1st issue is having 2 master sockets. The 2nd is the bell wire. Both can and likely will negatively effect the circuit.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2022, 02:47:54 AM »

He doesn't mean a mess aesthetically. It's a mess as an xDSL circuit.

The 1st issue is having 2 master sockets. The 2nd is the bell wire. Both can and likely will negatively effect the circuit.

Surely having two master sockets in itself is not a big deal as its functionally identical to having two rat-tail filters plugged into unfiltered sockets, a fairly standard affair.  The only issue is having the bell wire, as the second master socket should be generating that signal itself.

Replace that face plate with one that works properly, ditch the bell wire, job done.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2022, 04:33:21 AM »

Surely having two master sockets in itself is not a big deal as its functionally identical to having two rat-tail filters plugged into unfiltered sockets, a fairly standard affair.

A standard affair would be a master socket with SSFP connected to an extension socket with a rat tail filter.

Each master socket has a capacitor and a resistor. Having 2 master sockets in parallel is likely to confuse any remote line testing at the least.
Extension sockets have no capacitor and no resistor.

The 2nd master socket isn't needed to generate the ring. A simple extension socket with a rat tail filter will do the job.
Simply tape it down to prevent any paws from playing with it.

Removing the ring wire is the most important part.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2022, 04:51:16 AM »

A standard affair would be a master socket with SSFP connected to an extension socket with a rat tail filter.

Each master socket has a capacitor and a resistor. Having 2 master sockets in parallel is likely to confuse any remote line testing at the least.
Extension sockets have no capacitor and no resistor.

The 2nd master socket isn't needed to generate the ring. A simple extension socket with a rat tail filter will do the job.
Simply tape it down to prevent any paws from playing with it.

Removing the ring wire is the most important part.

You're talking about a modern installation, there will be lots of installations that pre-date master sockets so continue to use a filter in every socket, which surely is effectively identical to having multiple master sockets.  ISPs still send out routers with rat-tail filters for a reason.

Our telephone line was fitted around 1989 and only has a master socket as I "unofficially" swapped it out years ago.  Of course my second line got one but its no longer used.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2022, 05:00:33 AM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2022, 09:30:00 AM »

Having 2 master sockets in parallel is likely to confuse any remote line testing at the least.
As described it appears, though it's difficult to work out exactly what this installation is, the master sockets are IN SERIES.
There's one where the BT cable enters the premises and another at the end of the extension where the phone and router are.
And a bell wire jury-rigged between the two!  >:D

Edinburgh_lad

• Reg Member
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2022, 12:47:35 PM »

Thanks, everyone, for your contributions. Didn't know that what I did would result in some many responses...

I thought I was very clear in my drawings and descriptions, so not sure what is unclear still. Happy to clarify, though.

Anyway, let's forget for a minute that my extension socket is NTE5. I can clearly see some differences: better connection speed using nte2005 and fewer errors, in comparison to openreach's 5c. The GEA test isn't showing anything wrong with the wiring or socket by the way etc. I explained the reason the bell wire is there, too.

However, I do take onboard the mention of another resistor and capacitor on my extension socket. So, the questions are:

a) are these not going to make further improvements to the connection quality, especially that ADSLNation advertised their products as having more capacitors/resistors than any other filter?

b) how does having another resistor/capacitor on the extension socket (remember, let's not worry too much about the names here) compare to the filters embedded in the Zyxel 8924 then?

c) how can an extra capacitor, whose function is to protect from extra voltage spikes, be seen as 'confusing the circuit'?

Happy to remove the extra capacitor and resistor if needs be, or would be grateful if anyone would point me to a socket that is NTE5 like so that it can accept the ADSLNation plate.

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2022, 01:28:24 PM »

Thanks, everyone, for your contributions. Didn't know that what I did would result in some many responses...

I thought I was very clear in my drawings and descriptions, so not sure what is unclear still. Happy to clarify, though.

Anyway, let's forget for a minute that my extension socket is NTE5. I can clearly see some differences: better connection speed using nte2005 and fewer errors, in comparison to openreach's 5c. The GEA test isn't showing anything wrong with the wiring or socket by the way etc. I explained the reason the bell wire is there, too.

However, I do take onboard the mention of another resistor and capacitor on my extension socket. So, the questions are:

a) are these not going to make further improvements to the connection quality, especially that ADSLNation advertised their products as having more capacitors/resistors than any other filter?

Their purpose is not to "Filter"

b) how does having another resistor/capacitor on the extension socket (remember, let's not worry too much about the names here) compare to the filters embedded in the Zyxel 8924 then?

As (a) they are not filters

c) how can an extra capacitor, whose function is to protect from extra voltage spikes, be seen as 'confusing the circuit'?

Two capacitors in parallel double the value of capacitance, thereby not showing the correct value at the point of remote tests
Happy to remove the extra capacitor and resistor if needs be, or would be grateful if anyone would point me to a socket that is NTE5 like so that it can accept the ADSLNation plate.

See notes in body...not sure how to quote correctly  :-[
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4