Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Question about master socket connections  (Read 4876 times)

Edinburgh_lad

• Reg Member
Question about master socket connections
« on: February 14, 2022, 10:11:16 PM »

Hello All

I have an extension connected to the socket. The router is connected to that extension.

When I put another DSL cable into the central filter of the master socket (this cable is not connected to anything; just a loose connection stretched out along where the extension cable), the line starts to behave in a different way:

1) With that other DSL cable:

- parts of the 'higher' spectrum disappear (anything between 2816 and 4096 if you look at the spectrum graph on a Fritzbox)
- the Central Exchange counter for Errors starts showing up errors, whereas the Fritzbox one isn't
- corrected DTUs significantly decrease to single digit figures
- min effective data rate displayed for the receive direction gradually reduces to effectively have only 128 kbit/s

2) Without that other DSL cable:

- parts of the 'higher' spectrum are there
- the Central Exchange counter shows '0' ES, whereas the Fritzbox one initially showed '5' ES's and stays like that
- corrected DTUs significantly increase to triple digit figures

Any ideas what is happening here? Thank you.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Question about master socket connections
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2022, 10:16:44 PM »

Any ideas what is happening here?

Yes. By plugging that cable into the data socket, on the SSFP at the master socket, you have created a bridging tap.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2022, 10:26:43 PM »

..........and an aerial to pick up all sorts of interference.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2022, 06:28:40 AM »

Do you get better performance when the router is plugged into the master socket directly?

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2022, 09:47:42 AM »

Also, what is the nature of the extension, how is it connected and what sort of cabling?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2022, 03:52:55 PM »

Do you get better performance when the router is plugged into the master socket directly?

No because when moving the device from the extension socket back to the master socket the extension wiring will then be a bridging tap.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2022, 07:07:50 PM »

..........and an aerial to pick up all sorts of interference.

Is that why BBC Three is back on the telly?

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2022, 07:24:47 PM »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2022, 09:39:50 PM »

No because when moving the device from the extension socket back to the master socket the extension wiring will then be a bridging tap.

This just highlights why self-install was such a terrible idea.  There must be thousands of people with bridge taps, I know my friend had one when on Digital Region as I had to go and remove the ring wire, but I wasn't aware of bridge taps back then so that remained (but didn't impact his service seeing as we were the only two VDSL connections on the cabinet I suspect plus he was probably only ~100m line length).
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2022, 09:58:36 PM »

Wikipedia has a half-decent description: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridge_tap

I always worked (I'm long retired) on the basis of simplifying phone wiring to the extreme if broadband is involved.
Short and simple.

My home installation isn't perfect (phone-wise) for pragmatic reasons, but the router is on a 0.5m cable from the master socket.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2022, 10:02:58 PM by HPsauce »

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2022, 12:06:12 PM »

Short and simple.

My home installation isn't perfect (phone-wise) for pragmatic reasons, but the router is on a 0.5m cable from the master socket.

Same here, though I went a bit more extreme when I had FTTC.
25cm patch lead with the connector cut off at the master socket end with the (solid core not stranded!!) cable punched down directly to the IDC terminals inside the master socket.

https://ibb.co/S037bP5
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Edinburgh_lad

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2022, 04:07:55 PM »

Thank you all for your responses - much appreciated.

This just highlights why self-install was such a terrible idea.  There must be thousands of people with bridge taps, I know my friend had one when on Digital Region as I had to go and remove the ring wire, but I wasn't aware of bridge taps back then so that remained (but didn't impact his service seeing as we were the only two VDSL connections on the cabinet I suspect plus he was probably only ~100m line length).

Well, actually, it was a pure accident that I noticed what I described in my first post; it happened while I was disconnecting the extension. But thanks to this forum, I now know what happened. By the way, my Fritzbox also reported that there was a bridge tap (they called it split connection or something like that).

There was no impact of the bridge tap on our connection apart from what I described above.

In my case self-install isn't a terrible idea but done for pragmatic reasons so the router can be in the hallway while the master socket is the master bedroom; I'd hope that the extension is correctly connected. Certainly no OR engineer said it wasn't.

So, the wiring (unshielded twisted solid core cable) is connected to the 5C master socket (fixed part), while the bell wire is connected to the removable part of that same master socket (as we still have a retro GPO phone). All that to the extension socket which is ADSLNation filter. My understanding therefore is that unfiltered signal from 5C goes to the filtered box (ADSLNation), where it is filtered for the GPO phone and broadband.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2022, 04:24:43 PM by Edinburgh_lad »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2022, 06:21:16 PM »

So, the wiring (unshielded twisted solid core cable) is connected to the 5C master socket (fixed part), while the bell wire is connected to the removable part of that same master socket (as we still have a retro GPO phone). All that to the extension socket which is ADSLNation filter. My understanding therefore is that unfiltered signal from 5C goes to the filtered box (ADSLNation), where it is filtered for the GPO phone and broadband.

But that's my point, there must be a lot of properties without a filtered face plate.  Mine wouldn't have one if I hadn't fit it myself, the phone line pre-dates what we call a master socket today.

Anyone who never had an engineer out for a fault and had their phone line fitted pre-ADSL is unlikely to have the facility for a filtered face place, plus we've seen the utter nightmare of some flats with star wiring.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2022, 09:23:23 PM »

the wiring (unshielded twisted solid core cable) is connected to the 5C master socket (fixed part), while the bell wire is connected to the removable part of that same master socket (as we still have a retro GPO phone).
You can get rid of the bell wire entirely, and should.  :graduate:
Just fit a plug-in broadband filter locally to the Retro phone (at the end of a 2-wire already-filtered extension) and it will recreate the bell signal for you when called.
Done it loads of times though I no longer have any phones that need it.
It's irrelevant to a phone if there are multiple filters in series. Not the same for broadband though.  :lol:

Test it first obviously, but in the past every single plug-in filter I used did that job fine.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2022, 09:25:34 PM by HPsauce »

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2022, 10:40:56 PM »

As above, I would disconnect the bell wire at both sockets and use a "rat tail" style broadband filter where the old phone is connected.

You may even notice an immediate improvement.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM
Pages: [1] 2 3 4