Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: I wonder why we don't use public transport.  (Read 1086 times)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
I wonder why we don't use public transport.
« on: February 09, 2022, 05:24:11 PM »

Had to take my wife to Kings College hospital London today, a trip we've done quite a few times over the years, last time 2 years ago.

Now in the past we've gone by train, the station is a few minutes walk from the hospital.

Given Covid I didn't fancy going on the train so instead drove, in my old VW Tiguan diesel, which I got 35mpg today.

Round trip 148 miles, cost in diesel £28
ULEZ charge £12.50
Parking via Just Park £5 - about a 7 minute walk to the hospital

Total cost of journey £45.50

Now the same trip on the train, which we would of had to of left at the same time, and probably got back later would of cost £80 for the two of us!!!
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: I wonder why we don't use public transport.
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2022, 07:32:35 PM »

If this was a business expense, you would have been able to claim minimum of 45p per mile
148 x 45p = £71.04 for wear and tear of your vehicle

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2022, 08:01:19 PM »

Can you claim from the hospital for your mileage ? My wife does so when she travels 85 miles to Inverness and the same back.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2022, 10:28:39 PM »

Ronski I had to do that trip several times about 10 years ago from here but my wife only came once with me, we went by rail and I don't think it cost anywhere near that much. I remember going by rail then was quite convenient, we never used the car then because it was me being seen up there and my wife no longer drove.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2022, 01:06:46 PM »

Can you claim from the hospital for your mileage ? My wife does so when she travels 85 miles to Inverness and the same back.

Definitely not.

meritez was pointing out that if it was a business trip/expense then you can claim around 45p per mile from HMRC.
That makes driving much more appealing than the train for business expenses.

I'm not sure you could claim a hospital visit as a business expense with HMRC.

The hospital certainly isn't going to pay for people to travel to them.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2022, 10:59:34 PM »

> The hospital certainly isn’t going to pay for people to travel to them.

Maybe this is a Scotland thing. My wife does indeed get paid mileage by the hospital, she fills in a form with the dates of her visits and they certainly know how far it is from Broadford in Skye to Inverness.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2022, 01:13:47 AM »

It's not a Scottish thing. I'm in Scotland. My partner has to visit the RIE once a month for a routine procedure and will have to do so for the rest of her life. There's nothing we can claim for travel expenses either by car or bus.

Perhaps it's a Highland Council thing being so rural? Or is available to those who live X number of miles from a hospital.

I know you can be compensated for travel if you need to go to a distant hospital because those services aren't available at your local hospital or because of capacity/waiting list issues.

You don't generally get paid for travel to a hospital though. The NHS just couldn't afford that.

I've been claiming mileage on my annual tax return for over a decade. Last year was the 1st that HMRC have asked for fuel receipts, though I have always kept them just incase.

On topic, I only ever use trains if I'm able to buy the tickets well in advance. A return journey that can cost around £200 can be bought for around £40 if you buy early and are willing to be flexible with train times and possibly extra changes.
Split ticketing is also a great way to save on train tickets.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2022, 01:49:04 PM by j0hn »

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2022, 02:17:32 AM »

The NHS pays travel costs to hospitals if you meet certain requirements under their Healthcare Travel Costs Scheme (HTCS)

The rules differ depending on where you live so https://services.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/check-for-help-paying-nhs-costs/start may also be helpful.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2022, 06:05:22 AM »

Indeed, I used to claim for hospital visits in Sheffield although haven't done in some time as its not worth the hassle.  (the claims office doesn't open as late as appointments)

Of course if it was further than a bus journey, that would be a different matter.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2022, 07:31:32 AM »

Some people perhaps come to hospital in Inverness down from John O Groats - 120 miles and the same back again, the top end of Skye which is 138 miles, or Orkney or maybe even Shetland for all I know. I’m pretty sure some people fly in from Stornaway or elsewhere in the Western Isles or Northern Isles. If you live on Eilean Bharraigh or maybe the Uists you perhaps fly to Glasgow to go to Hospital.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2022, 07:56:32 AM by Weaver »

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2022, 01:27:17 PM »

We've previously gone by rail, but the wife said it was about £40 each then, bit risky booking in advance as hospital appointments have a habit of being changed, and some tickets can't be refunded, although I think there is a way around that.

Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2022, 02:00:36 PM »

The NHS pays travel costs to hospitals if you meet certain requirements under their Healthcare Travel Costs Scheme (HTCS)

Health/NHS is devolved. HTCS looks like it might be an England only thing.
Edit: actually it is UK wide, just different criteria in each country. Wales allow up to £24,000 in savings to be eligible, £16,000 elsewhere.

It amazes me how many people don't know that the "UK" govs covid regulations apply to England only, because Healthcare is devolved. Wales sharing a legal system with England confuses matters further, though Wales still set most of their own rules for lockdown.
(That comment isn't aimed at anyone on the forum, just a general observation).

I also have Scottish friends/relatives who think what Boris says on the news about COVID restrictions applies to them.

HTCS looks like it pays 15p per mile for anyone who drives.

Edit: lots of edits
« Last Edit: February 11, 2022, 04:07:13 PM by j0hn »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2022, 05:54:10 PM »

J0hn whereabouts in Scotland are you? Tell me to shut up if you’d rather not say, of course. ;)

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2022, 05:59:29 PM »

Midlothian. Served by the Dalkeith exchange (ESDAL).

anything