Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Never enough?  (Read 1620 times)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: Never enough?
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2022, 02:48:06 AM »

Hard to say, I mean once I get symmetrical it makes hosting content from home more practical rather than paying for more storage on my VPS.  But for the average person, I don't think Gigabit is going to be hugely popular any time soon even when its available as most people seem to go for the cheapest deals.

If something isn't done about the energy price rises, I can see people DOWNGRADING their packages rather than upgrading.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2022, 05:32:32 AM »

It doesn’t take more energy to download a file faster; it’s the same number of bits transferred and the same number of clock cycles. No? I suspect I’m missing the point here.

Once people get FTTP, how much more is it going to cost for 900 Mbps / xx Mbps (whatever the slow upstream speed) is vs the slow deals? I should think they will want to make symmetric deals a rip-off price in order to discourage business users from buying domestic deals, no?

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2022, 06:27:51 PM »

It wasn't about energy use, simply that to pay their rising electricity bill they will be looking to save money elsewhere, and broadband tends to be one place people do not see the value in higher cost services.

Few people understand what contention is or that the issues they are having with broadband might be they are paying for too slow a package.  Just as there are plenty of people who don't understand the problems they are having might be WiFi related rather than their broadband service.

Its not all that surprising, its not like budget ISPs go out telling people "we have twice the contention of more expensive ISPs", nor would the average person even know what that means. ;)

I think most people probably think an ISP is like their energy company.  Its all coming from the same place, they're just being billed by a different company.  I don't really blame them, its hard to get your head around just how complex broadband delivery is when you ARE the kind of person who is interested in how it works.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2022, 06:35:07 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2022, 10:15:40 PM »

Understood.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2022, 01:21:50 AM »

I see lots of posts on FTTP coverage, but I wonder what the actual take-up numbers are of people actually taking the service once its available?

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2022, 02:00:26 AM »

The take up rate of FTTP is over 23% on the Openreach network. See attached.

I believe this is higher than expected as normally it takes time to adopt a new technology as existing contracts expire etc.

Given the increasing speed of the rollout, I wouldn't be surprised if the % dropped slightly in the near term.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2022, 02:57:34 AM »

That does seem high, but I guess people being forced into working from home pushed that up which should also see a drop-off now they seem hell-bent on ditching all Covid reduction measures. (something I'm going to have to take up with OR when FTTP comes along as mum wont let anyone in the house without a mask)
Pages: 1 [2]

anything