Computer Software > Security

Online security bill

(1/3) > >>

broadstairs:
I have been following the Openrights group now for some time and this morning a regualr email from them dropped in my in box. It claims that this bill will weaken end to end encryption which will make things worse not better.

--- Quote ---Today is “Safer Internet Day”, and the Government is pushing their false narrative that encryption for private messaging apps is dangerous. We know the opposite is true - encryption is the only thing stopping scammers, thieves and criminals from hacking you.

--- End quote ---

What do folks here think, who is right Priti Patel and the law makers or Openrights?

Stuart

Weaver:
The Openrights group is right. You can’t legislate against the acts of terrorists who can use encryption themselves.

roseway:
The problem with end-to-end encryption of course is that, as well as ordinary users who just want to protect themselves from hacking, it will also be used by criminals to keep their illegal activities secret. So in a sense, both parties to the argument are right.
My personal opinion is that I don't want the lawmakers to take away my right to keep personal information confidential.

broadstairs:

--- Quote from: roseway on February 08, 2022, 10:19:22 AM ---The problem with end-to-end encryption of course is that, as well as ordinary users who just want to protect themselves from hacking, it will also be used by criminals to keep their illegal activities secret. So in a sense, both parties to the argument are right.
My personal opinion is that I don't want the lawmakers to take away my right to keep personal information confidential.

--- End quote ---

I agree to a certain extent, however banning or weakening it here in the UK will not prevent criminals here or elsewhere in the world from using it and it is the World Wide web after all so the law only applies here in the UK. I'm sure GCHQ have the ability to crack most of what is used today although it might take a while  ;)

Stuart

meritez:
Why has it taken this Government nearly 11 years to challenge one of the main communication tools used in the 2011 riots?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_England_riots

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version