Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Bonding advise. AAISP or Sharedband or neither  (Read 6872 times)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: Bonding advise. AAISP or Sharedband or neither
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2022, 07:37:26 PM »

I would have probably taken my chances with VoIP as its a lot cheaper than line rental, though as the issue at hand is potentially lack of bandwidth I can see why you might want to avoid this.

I do believe moving from line rental to VoIP is easier with AAISP though and you will be able to test it out for reliability first by keeping line rental for now.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2022, 01:04:00 AM »

If you don’t need a physical voice line you can always go VoIP with A&A, but then you already know that and it only saves you £6.

I didn’t add up all the numbers because I don’t have that info to hand; my wife is the financial director. I also pay a load of other charges to AA such as email, web space, DNS hosting, domain renewals x lots, many 4G SIMs so I couldn’t just look at the bottom line and quote you that without being very misleading.

I gave away my own FB2700 to another kitizen because I already had both an FB2500 and an FB2900. As vic0239 says, an FB2700 would do the job for you fine, they’re claimed to do - what - routing of 350 Mbps ? Is that right ? But for all I know they may do more than that unless the firewall config might affect that, not sure.

bignose2

« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2022, 01:06:26 PM »

Hi,

I started this thread and very pleased to say went live yesterday with the two bonded lines.
Getting almost exactly the combined rates, fortunately both were v.close before.
70 & 13 + 75+11 = 138 down & 23 up max, average fraction less but not by much.
FP2900
Sales & support reply in minutes usually so been & very smooth process.
The router config is taking a bit of getting use to as nothing quite like it.

I have asked rather a lot of questions of them to get up & running so would quite like to ask here some of the more non-urgent stuff & from the prospective of others who have set up.

1) Is there a way in the FB status to view/list the devices attached that are on static IP's.
I know can see those on DHCP. Status/DHSCP/Lan
I can use external programs but assume the FB keeps track & has a list somewhere.

2) I may have to ask them but for ease I got the two zytel modem from them, just plugged in & no config.
my IP range is 192.168.2.1 - 154.
Do you think the modems are on 1.1. I cannot access from the LAN as on the different subnet, I would quite like to view their www & status from time to time. Can I change to my .2. range. I guess would have to plug a separate PC in direct.

3) Would quite like to plan a fall back system. Unfortunately my setup mitigates slightly the great benefit of bonded lines, I have the two modems 70m apart so if this was broken the furthest would not access the FB, the 2nd is right by it so that would be OK.
If I am around I can fix any breakages (not happened in 20 years but is outdoors) but if away my staff would be in trouble.

I would like to be able to unplug this modem & plug in another that is already set up with router/dhcp facility so that remote office is back online.
I might be over complicating this, I guess a modem with the same WAN settings but just with DHCP enabled (& not bridge as they currently are) & it might just work. I guess the question is does the A&A ISP side need to see a firebrick, again I guess a question for them.

Thanks I/A

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2022, 02:38:13 PM »

Sounds like a successful install.
Can't answer 1.

2. Depends on how the zyxels were configured, if all ports are in bridge mode.

3. That's some distance, is it possible to have the FB in the middle and run cables either side?

bignose2

« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2022, 04:43:04 PM »

Hi,

The zytel auto configured when plugged in & they then went into bridge mode.

I have spare routers so think I can set up to take over the WAN & then do its own DHCP, it is really just this remote office that has the BT socket & now zytel modem & then 70m outdoor cable (its along a secure wired fence) basically I have a boarding kennels, my home next door with the FB & main 24 port switch & usual home stuff, multiple TV, sky netflix etc etc.
I am not sure if AA ISP will complain if it does not find a FB.

Will let things settle then may look at options.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2022, 06:23:23 PM »

What Zyxel models did they send? They've gone through a few over the years.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2022, 07:08:21 PM »

Mediatek  ;)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2022, 07:20:28 PM »

Mediatek  ;)

The ZyXEL VMG1312-T20B, I believe.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2022, 07:48:02 PM »

Mediatek  ;)

Well well, how disappointing.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2022, 09:12:46 PM »

Well well, how disappointing.

Perfectly decent if configured for BT MCT DSL Interoperability, as A&A do: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Io_GS_yzhKuyN6kRrl_2uE55L9sRRNhP/view?usp=sharing

hopkins35

« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2022, 02:50:38 PM »

1) Is there a way in the FB status to view/list the devices attached that are on static IP's.

Only by viewing the ARP table: Status - ARP/ND

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2022, 05:16:34 PM »

Perfectly decent if configured for BT MCT DSL Interoperability, as A&A do: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Io_GS_yzhKuyN6kRrl_2uE55L9sRRNhP/view?usp=sharing

That's the first I've heard of this and it implies we should have been doing this with Broadcom units too to make sure they meet BT spec.

bignose2

« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2022, 05:20:12 PM »

Hi,

All been working pretty well apart from a few strange drops in speed, woken up to big reduction in speeds, from 130 Mbps to 10 to 20!!
fine throughout the day, many tests.
Turn off Modem 1 and get the full speed from modem 2, 70Mbps
Turn modem 1 back on back up to 135Mbps for both bonded.

Trying to look into that as before migrations never had a problem.

The most annoying aspect of this that leads me to a new question is unable to log into the Zyxtel VMG1312, actually just factory reset because AA could not work out why any of the passwords would not work.
Would have been very handy to monitor the SNR etc but been unable.

Hopefully can access now but might like the option to be able to use my old trusty & familiar TP-Link VR600
AA have spent a long time trying to help with the Zytel & even the TP-Link VR600 but understandably with the Zyxtel working don't really want to spend ages trying to sort my router so thought ask here.

Mostly working but no internet via the FireBrick
Bridge Mode, Says connected to the internet
the FB shows WAN 1, green flashing LED but no yellow, just the odd flash I guess trying to connect.

Is there anything obvious I can try.
Turned off IPv4 SIP

there are numerous ALG setting all ticked, have left as thought when put in bridge mode all the important stuff would be adjusted.

bridge in the only interface available.

Thanks I/A

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2022, 07:59:48 PM »

Have you factory reset the Zyxels?

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Bonding advise. AAISP or Sharedband or neithe
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2022, 11:18:13 PM »

AA staff are very patient. I recommend you make an account for AA staff to remotely log in if you haven’t already done so.

I have managed to configure my Firebrick so that I can log into my VMG1312-B10A modems. AA has their own recipe (which is in the support wiki - just ask) however I preferred a different system of addressing my modems compared to that in AA’s technique: mine all have IPv4 addresses 192.168.1.1, 192.168.2.1 etc and each is in its own /24 subnet.

With modems in bridge mode, everything to do with routing and NAT (if you use it) is handled by the Firebrick. I would recommend you consider you not use NAT and just ask AA for the number of IPv4 addresses you need. (I don’t use NAT).

Did you say one of your modems is 70m away? I would ensure that I’m using top-quality CAT6A ethernet cable for a long run. (CAT5E may be fine but I would spend a little extra from paranoia). Any ethernet PDU corruption would cause the symptoms of slowdowns due to TCP retransmissions. That would show up on AA’s CQM graphs as scarlet packet loss ("dripping blood"). I have been thinking about doing (rather shorter) similar runs and I was thinking of running hi-spec cable inside polyethylene water pipe. Can you consider asking AA to book OR to do a "change point of entry" to get the master socket moved to a convenient point for you, or isn’t it like that? (I had this done for my first line: cost was modest.)

The FB diagnostics menu has a lot of excellent tools in it, for debugging problems.

I could send you a copy of my FB config but it won’t be compatible with yours on account of IP addressing layout, passwords, many irrelevant DHCP static assignments, and huge number of very long comments to remind me on how to make future changes. It might be more helpful to just read it and steal any bits you like.

I recommend you make an account for AA staff to remotely log in if you haven’t already done so.

Any help at all with anything, please don’t hesitate to ask.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2022, 11:55:21 PM by Weaver »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

anything