Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Bonding advise. AAISP or Sharedband or neither  (Read 6770 times)

bignose2

Bonding advise. AAISP or Sharedband or neither
« on: February 06, 2022, 10:44:22 AM »

Hi,

I already have 2 ISP line Zen & Vodafone. both FTTC 70 down & 11 Up. very reliable both.
I have on same LAN IP range but the VF static IP so can route a few PC's & phone system to use that but I have access to any devices from my main PC.

I would like to bond the two lines just to make of the any spare BW at anyone time & potentially really fast single connection if needed.

I am struggling to work out the costs.
AAISP seem to be the real deal but expensive, seems £200 per month & not sure if that does inc the 2 line rentals, not that clear or either I being stupid. (I still need a normal phone number/line)

Sharedband appears to be £34 pm or appears less on broadbandbuyer.co.uk, as a package but £120 per year each line.
This IS on top of the current lines but Zen + VF + £34 (or 240/12= £20) is still half AA & I don't think (not sure) there is a data limit.
Never had one before & not sure if 10TB on A&A might just show up. So much 4k streaming on multiple TV's & business use & VOIP calls etc. especially when ISDN is shut down.

I know CS & quality equipment can be the most essential/critical but is this one of those things that might just work & forget about it. In all the years of BB & many ISP, I have had exactly the same 99% reliable connection & speed. Perhaps lucky.

An experience of either.
This is a really would like to have but not quite essential.

Have emailed evolutions & quick reply but no hint of prices & I know a 100's of options but just annoys me when there is absolutely no idea of costs. Perhaps good sales but I often won't bother any further thinking, if you have to ask you can't afford it. childish I know.

Many thanks I/A

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
Re: Bonding advise. AAISP or Sharedband or neither
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2022, 12:34:35 PM »

Have you considered session bases load balancing, where you could keep your existing ISP’s ?
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2022, 04:06:34 PM »

If you only want the speed for multi-threaded downloads (OS updates, game downloaders, game consoles, etc) not uploads, then load balancing makes more sense.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2022, 07:52:33 PM »

Welcome to the forum!

I have three bonded lines from AA, have been with them for over eleven years. Triple speed in both directions. The £200 per month figure sounds like Office::1 perhaps? I don’t use that, I have three Soho::1 accounts and it’s rather cheaper than that for my three lines never mind two. It’s difficult for me to tell you exactly how much my three lines costs me because my bill contains other services such as 4G SIMs, email, DNS, domain name renewals x many etc. I pay line rental times three to AA as well.

I have a Firebrick FB2900 which handles the bonding at my end, AA’s Firebricks do the same at their end. If all lines fail it switches to 3G.

AA gave me a free IPv4 /26 and of course I have IPv6 too. No NAT :) ! Just ask for the IPv4 space you need.

I recently did a post for someone else about the good things I find about AA, just need a bit of help finding it.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2022, 10:51:52 PM by Weaver »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2022, 08:29:14 PM »

I recently did a post for someone else about the good things I find about AA, just need a bit of help finding it.

I have checked your last 675 posts, which took me back to the end of May 2021, and could not find the above post.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2022, 08:53:15 PM »

Me too. I seem to remember posting a long formatted list of good things I find about AA. Perhaps I’m dreaming it, or the iPad ate it. I seem to remember we were also perhaps talking about Zen. I don’t think it was that long ago, but am unsure of keywords to search for. I presume it’s not possible to search for bbcode such as the [li][/li] markers.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2022, 08:56:35 PM by Weaver »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2022, 08:56:22 PM »

I seem to remember posting a long formatted list of good things I find about AA.

Yes, that is exactly for what I was looking.

bignose2

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2022, 09:02:20 PM »

Many thanks for the AA info.

I was looking at  Office package thinking that was the best for bonding but will be very pleased if I can bond 2 lines & cheaper as AA does look like the slickest option

Can do some better research on Monday when the companies are open but good to have personal real world experience.

Thanks again.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2022, 09:32:21 PM »

You can add bonding to any package with no extra cost. For Home::1 or SoHo::1 you just buy two lots of that for the two copper lines and then ask them to click the options on their control panel and reporting server clueless.aa.net.uk (a spectacular control panel and display where you can change a mountain of things yourself).

For upstream, a Firebrick handles the upstream bonding. You can rent a Firebrick from AA if you prefer, so I believe, saves you the upfront outlay. It of course needs two modems. I use ZyXEL modems that have custom firmware in them allowing full IP MTU of 1500 bytes. `it’s not the end of the world if you’re restricted to IP MTU 1492 not 1500 bytes, but I prefer to be free from the restriction.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2022, 10:05:45 PM »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2022, 10:09:09 PM »

I found the earlier post about AA, it’s at https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,26696.msg447641.html#msg447641

D'oh!  :doh:

My only excuse for not spotting it was probably due to me having a micro-nap whilst scrolling through the list of your posts!  :D

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2022, 10:30:17 PM »

It had the words "Andrews and Arnold" in it, and not "AA", that’s why we couldn’t find it, no?

One other thing to consider about bonding is the fantastic reliabilty. You will get nearly 100% uptime, bar major service outages. If you get a Firebrick then put a 3G or 4G dongle in it for even more reliability.

See below a picture of my control panel with traffic rates and latency, packet loss shown. The IP addresses have been redacted: 81.187.xx.yy/26 and 2001:8b0:xxxx:xxxx::/64 and various other single IPv4 addresses, eg for WAN i/f addresses and 4G SIMs.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2022, 11:28:15 PM by Weaver »

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2022, 10:51:37 PM »

This image is a really poor quality jpeg. It’s a screenshot which looks fine, sharp and perfect on my iPad. How can I improve the quality of the uploaded version a lot ? The postimage.cc website uploader must be messing it up when it converts to a jpeg.

Don't upload it to postimage! As long as the size of the file is under 300KB, attach it to the post.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2022, 11:15:55 PM »

No, it was way too big, I think 3 MB iirc.

I used imgBB instead for uploading, which gives you size/quality controls. It’s much more fiddly though because like most of these sites apart from postimage.cc it gives you a link to a web page that wraps round the image, whereas what you want is a direct link straight to the picture. Nothing prevents you from getting the address of the picture itself on imgBB so it’s fine; just a bit more of a fiddle though.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2022, 11:27:11 PM by Weaver »

bignose2

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2022, 11:36:10 AM »

Thanks for everyone taking the time to advise,

Still investigating but AA does look like the way to go.
I don't mind the upfront cost, to a point. I like to keep the monthly within reason.

What got me looking a little harder into bonding was as well as general overall improvement was my daughter often works from home at our house and really struggles with speed.
I imagine could be a multitude of reasons but her VPN (cisco anyconnect) slows to a crawl on my internet.
any other PC = 70 down & 11 Up. VPN using any online speedtest & confirmed by just general slow file download,lucky to get 5 down & 2 up -usually worse & have had 0.3 upload.
Her company & Zen (FritzBox) both say nothing to do with them but no way of finding out really but do read Anyconnect is pretty bad on speeds.

It is much better at boyfriends on Virgin (not 100% sure which one but I guess minimum 150mbps).
Perhaps more VPN friendly modem or just raw speed enough to overcome.

I don't expect anyone to advise on what to do about the VPN but just mention. Also someone advised load balancing & perhaps it would help a bit but think/hope bonding would give the best chance. When speeds were bad we made a point of not using anything else that might effect bandwidth.

Thanks again.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

anything