Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: FTTC + FTTP  (Read 1078 times)

sof006

• Reg Member
FTTC + FTTP
« on: February 05, 2022, 04:32:34 PM »

Hi all,

Didn't know where else to post this question.

I am wondering if its at all possible to have a FTTC connection alongside a FTTP connection. At present I have a Zen FTTC connection, wondering if when CityFibre finishes building in my area could I ask for a Zen FTTP connection but continue to have my FTTC connection or would I have to cancel the FTTC line?

Or if not with Zen could I go Zen = FTTC and FTTP = TalkTalk for example.

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
Re: FTTC + FTTP
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2022, 04:36:41 PM »

You can have both an FTTC service and an FTTP one.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2022, 04:37:05 PM »

Don’t see why not.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2022, 04:39:07 PM »

I tried this with TalkTalk and they point blank refused, technically I see no reason for not doing it but I suspect other ISPs may say the same. I'm sure you can do it with two different ISPs as long as you don't transfer just sign up anew with a second ISP. I ended up with BT and moved my phone to digital voice with BT all as a transfer.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2022, 04:55:46 PM »

I assume that Andrews and Arnold (aa.net.uk) would let you do this because they are used to customers like me having three or four lines at the same site under the one customer account.

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2022, 05:29:28 PM »

Hi all,

Didn't know where else to post this question.

I am wondering if its at all possible to have a FTTC connection alongside a FTTP connection. At present I have a Zen FTTC connection, wondering if when CityFibre finishes building in my area could I ask for a Zen FTTP connection but continue to have my FTTC connection or would I have to cancel the FTTC line?

Or if not with Zen could I go Zen = FTTC and FTTP = TalkTalk for example.

Yes you can.
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2022, 03:22:44 PM »

I tried this with TalkTalk and they point blank refused

Talktalk will allow both at the same address. Their system just doesn't allow/support it on a single account.
Simply ordering the 2nd service as a new customer works.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2022, 03:53:35 PM »

I tried this with TalkTalk and they point blank refused, technically I see no reason for not doing it but I suspect other ISPs may say the same. I'm sure you can do it with two different ISPs as long as you don't transfer just sign up anew with a second ISP. I ended up with BT and moved my phone to digital voice with BT all as a transfer.

Stuart

I suspect TalkTalk are the minority, it makes no sense for an ISP to limit the number of services a user can buy from them.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

sof006

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2022, 07:50:57 AM »

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies, good to know! Something I will be looking into of course

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2022, 11:39:18 AM »

Talktalk will allow both at the same address. Their system just doesn't allow/support it on a single account.
Simply ordering the 2nd service as a new customer works.

No different to a lot of ISPs then.  When I signed up to Plusnet I had use a different username because my original username from when I worked for them was STILL on the system. :p

Some companies just have bad legacy accounting systems, not that they specifically deny multiple services to a single address.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

anything