Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Gravesend Netomnia Roll-out.  (Read 3445 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Gravesend Netomnia Roll-out.
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2022, 04:05:37 PM »

If this *is* FTTP-related, there’s a lot less fuss than I was expecting!

It's not FTTP just yet, I'm afraid. The encouraging news is that the PON manual surveys have been created, which is the next stage after the initial 'ghost plan' blueprint.

The bit I wouldn't know though, is where it all fits into the master roll-out plan ??. But, I cant see any advantage in creating manual surveys if something wasn't going to happen sooner rather than later ?? You make your own judgement call on what 'sooner' translates into. Still, you're a step ahead of my own Exchange roll-out.  ;)

displaced

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2022, 04:39:19 PM »

Just for posterity…

Having been ‘rodded & roped’ a few weeks ago, they’ve been by and pulled fibre through and up the telegraph pole today.

They’ve gaffer-taped it to the pole and left a big loop about a third of the way up.  Presumably they’ll be back to fit the CBT in the coming days!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2022, 04:36:48 PM by burakkucat »
YouFibre 1Gbit, OPNsense on Intel N100.  Ubiquiti UAPs.

Reformed

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2022, 05:33:49 PM »

Good stuff. Hopefully won't be too far behind you.  :fingers:

displaced

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2022, 12:41:18 PM »

The pole’s had a visit from a man with a cherry picker!

It’s now sporting a new little box at the top on the left, and the fibre’s been fitted to it.

I suppose I just wait for YouFibre to get in touch with an appointment for the installation now.  Brilliant!

[Moderator edited to rotate the attached image by ninety degrees clockwise.]
« Last Edit: March 22, 2022, 03:29:22 PM by burakkucat »

Reformed

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2022, 12:43:18 PM »

As long as the exchange itself and the spine are ready shouldn't be long! Hope it all works out well for you.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2022, 04:53:07 PM »

Exactly as Reformed has said above - the spine and head-end need to be in, before the PON can be commissioned.

OR can and do 'build dark' in certain situations whereby the spine is being held up by highways authority regs, or as we see right now, the worldwide silicon shortage causing issues with new head end electronics. The beauty of this is, once the issues have been resolved ... the PON's should be good to go within a very short timescale.

This is more for awareness for the kitz readership, as many jump to the conclusion that once they spot a new CBT, that FTTP will be readily available within a few weeks. Most of the time it will, but not all.   ;) :)

displaced

• Reg Member
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2022, 05:33:21 PM »

That’s a very useful warning!  It’s easy to fall into the trap of ‘box on pole = install next week!’, heh.

Still, it’s nice to see some visible progress.  Back in February, Netomnia (well, YouFibre) told me ‘April’ for my pre-order to go live, so seeing some activity could indicate that’s still on-track.  Maybe :)

It’s been fun watching them move through the town on one.network — sweeping down the main roads from the centre of town southwards, with little diversions into the connecting smaller roads.

Tantalisingly (relatively) close!

Reformed

• Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2022, 07:32:54 PM »

Okay I'm definitely jealous. I was told April back in February, too, but was told yesterday by Netomnia still in planning and too early to provide a timescale. Think the sales guys at YouFibre got a little excited at the prospect of selling me 10G!

Mark07

• Reg Member
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2022, 07:44:42 AM »

I think the reason for the difference in replies is because a lot more can go wrong from the Netomnia side of things, as BS mentioned things like local authority holds ups etc whereas from the YF side it's more a case of getting the actual router / network configured

displaced

• Reg Member
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2022, 02:00:50 PM »

I got an email from my current supplier (Vodafone) saying they were increasing my monthly charge.  As it was above the RPI rate, I considered the option of cancelling fee-free due to the rise.

Got in touch with YouFibre to see if my connection with them was imminent.  They’ve told me that the likely timeframe for getting connected is now June — so back to Plan A, namely taking YouFibre’s offer to credit my account with whatever my VF termination charge is.

So, a bit of a slip from the original April, but that’s no problem!

displaced

• Reg Member
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2022, 07:09:03 PM »

A little update...

Last thing I heard from YouFibre was that late June is now a likely time for the service to go live.

There's now only a couple of Netomnia roadworks showing on one.network.  They'd been consistently everywhere since back in Feb.  The last end-date for the works that are showing is 1st Jun, which has been consistent for the odd work that's appeared over the last couple of days.

So with a bit of luck and a fair wind, I should have my FTTP installed in 4-6 weeks or so.

Mark07

• Reg Member
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2022, 08:41:26 PM »

Do you have a pre order in? Looks like some parts of Gravesend are already RFS

displaced

• Reg Member
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2022, 09:17:42 PM »

Hi Mark!  I do indeed — since early February.  500/500 for the pre-order price of £25pm.

displaced

• Reg Member
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2022, 11:08:52 PM »

Cool, so I got an email from YouFibre this evening asking me to book my installation appointment!

I went for the earliest on offer, so I'm all set for Monday 4th July between 8am and 1pm.  Got plenty of time to book a day off work for the install (plus, of course, the inevitable tinkering with my home network I'll want to do afterwards!)

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2022, 08:12:09 AM »

Well done!

AAISP 1000/115 FTTP routed by opnsense on proxmox. Even my WiFi is baller
Pages: 1 [2] 3