Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: How does FTTP in pole'd areas become networked?  (Read 7492 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: How does FTTP in pole'd areas become networked?
« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2022, 02:34:20 PM »

Any ideas how long from blue rope to order?

Sorry, no. (Avoiding stating the obvious, such as: "As long as the blue rope".  ;) )
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

craigski

• Reg Member
« Reply #46 on: April 16, 2022, 02:52:29 PM »

I measured 'how long the the blue rope' is outside my specific property, it measured exactly 48 days.  :)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #47 on: April 16, 2022, 03:09:09 PM »

Sorry, no. (Avoiding stating the obvious, such as: "As long as the blue rope".  ;) )

I so wanted to make that joke but thought the better of it.  Was worried people might not realise I was paraphrasing "how long is a piece of string".
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

pooclah

• Reg Member
« Reply #48 on: April 16, 2022, 08:26:22 PM »

Any ideas how long from blue rope to order?

Don’t necessarily use the the blue rope disappearing as an indication of when you’ll go live.  I’ve had FTTP since the 8th March and the blue rope is still at the bottom of the pole.  For ‘my pole’ the CBT was fitted to the top and fed from another pole.  As I said the blue rope is still there.   

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #49 on: April 22, 2022, 03:51:55 PM »

Interestingly, just over 2 weeks since across the road had fibre laid, its now showing WBC FTTP 330.  Colour me surprised it hasn't gone to 1000, I guess capacity hasn't been upgraded yet at the exchange?
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2022, 01:00:48 PM »

Just updating the thread that today the broadband checker went to WBC FTTP Upto 1000 (Downstream) and Upto 220 (Upstream).
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2022, 07:04:29 PM »

I ended up ordering the Full Fibre 500.

It's due to be installed tomorrow.

It should be a simple job.

I've left the new router in the box, so he can plug it in. All he'll have to do is unclip the ethernet cables from the old router, replace with the new one, and put the ethernet cables back in and all should be good... hopefully  :fingers:

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2022, 01:19:05 PM »

Just hopefully as a final update.

Got it installed this morning. It was an OR engineer. It took just a little over 2 hours.

All my ethernet connections switched over from hub to hub and worked good.

My only task now is to somehow edit or add as a new device my door camera. I wish those cameras had their own hardwired interface then I could manually change the wifi settings.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #53 on: May 19, 2022, 03:19:35 PM »

Got it installed this morning. It was an OR engineer. It took just a little over 2 hours.

Thank you for that positive update. Enjoy the new hardware.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2022, 07:19:05 PM »

Thank you for that positive update. Enjoy the new hardware.  :)

Thanks mate  :)

I noticed that we had to take digital voice or risk losing the phone number (I haven't looked in to the VOIP services yet).

The guy left the copper line in. But I noticed later in the day, though the dial tone was still on the copper line if I tried to dial out I got the message that the number I was dialing wasn't recognised. So I ended up unplugging from the wall to the back of the smart hub 2 router in to the special phone connector and the phone is working again.

So far I'm using my existing dect set so I only have the one phone cable and the rest are hands free sets.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #55 on: May 21, 2022, 07:56:43 PM »

If you don't wish to situate your phone DECT base station at or near the Hub you can use this:
https://www.bt.com/help/user-guides/phones/digital-voice/digital-voice-adapter

I managed to get one free from BT via my sons BT account, he had upgraded to FTTP with LL but not taken any of the free options, I had already taken the free digital phone option with my FTTP contract, only get one or the other for free.
If you have not taken up any of the digital voice packaged options when signing up for your FTTP then you can still get a free adapter, my sons FTTP install was over a year ago and the free adapter order still went through.

I noticed later in the day, though the dial tone was still on the copper line
My FTTP install with digital voice is close to 3 months in place now and I still have a dial tone on my old UG copper line, 17070 gives a "circuit ID" of a number on my exchange (not my original LL number) but "ring back" doesn't work nor can I dial out or receive calls on that number completely to expectation.

My digital voice works perfectly (on my original LL number) using the BT digital voice adapter and existing Gigaset DECT phone trio so nothing to worry about, likely would never have been aware of the copper line still being alive except for an old hard wired analogue handset still connected in a spare bed room.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2022, 07:59:35 PM by tiffy »
Vodafone FTTP 200/28, VF THG3000 Hub

antsly

« Reply #56 on: May 22, 2022, 05:30:27 PM »

Just hopefully as a final update.

My only task now is to somehow edit or add as a new device my door camera. I wish those cameras had their own hardwired interface then I could manually change the wifi settings.

Great to see you have finally installed. Unfortunately my pole'd install hasn't gone half as smoothly and I'm still none the wiser when it will get installed.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #57 on: May 25, 2022, 02:51:47 PM »

I noticed something else today.

Using the DV via fibre I've noticed its asking I add the local area code, even when I'm in the same area code.

I'd heard about OR getting rid of the ability to not type the area code if in the same area. But I hadn't but 2 and 2 together. I guess it makes sense.

I've also noticed looking at the logs that I think BT use sipgate for calls.

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #58 on: May 25, 2022, 03:51:17 PM »

Using the DV via fibre I've noticed its asking I add the local area code, even when I'm in the same area code.

This has been the case with DV since December 2020 (https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2020/11/isp-bt-change-digital-voice-calling-for-local-uk-numbers.html)

I've also noticed looking at the logs that I think BT use sipgate for calls.

What makes you think that? Is it possible the references are to the SIP instead?

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
« Reply #59 on: May 25, 2022, 06:46:02 PM »

They are rolling out in my area and I've been taking a closer look at some of the poles as a result, some on the main road have had the fibre coming out of the ground but no CBT yet.

What I have noticed are these.

Is this a route the fibre will take or have they always been there, some poles around still have nothing like this.

The roadworks activity as far as I can see is all pole replacements at the moment too.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2022, 06:49:57 PM by S.Stephenson »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5