Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Three vs Unbranded Huawei CPE Pro 2  (Read 3051 times)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Three vs Unbranded Huawei CPE Pro 2
« on: January 27, 2022, 04:21:35 AM »

Thought someone might be interested in the differences.

Interestingly the Three branded device seems to expose bridge mode which from what I've read is normally not enabled in the UI, but as its from CEX I have no clue of its history.

Notice the strong 5G signal on Vodafone (5G SINR), yeah I'm right on the edge of that masts range so surprised it even sees it.  Needless to say I'm fairly sure its NOT using 5G data.

Annoying caveat, if it sees 5G, even if its too weak to use, it locks to that mast.  I had to turn off Auto Network Selection and force it on Vodafone 4G to get it back on the mast across the road from me but so far I haven't gotten carrier aggregation doing that which makes it slower than the B353 router.  Then again, it doesn't seem to want to come back switching to Auto again either.  Hopefully that's something to do with them working on the local mast.

So this could be a bit of a fail as:

1) I wanted it so if 5G ever got enabled on the local mast I wouldn't need to check, it would "just work".
2) Its doing half the speed it did before the other mast got 5G, it used to be FASTER than the B353. (almost certainly the carrier aggregation issue though and I know it works on this unit as I had it on Voxi before)

I also have statistics from when I got it back on the local mast:

« Last Edit: January 27, 2022, 04:56:21 AM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
Re: Three vs Unbranded Huawei CPE Pro 2
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2022, 10:50:28 AM »

Good news, 4G+ is back on Vodafone and my speed hit 140Mbit down.  So it seems it was the work they were doing and all is well again.  Its also not tried to use the other tower since I switched it back to Auto Network Selection, so fingers crossed.

Image above updated.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2022, 11:01:37 AM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2022, 02:28:03 PM »

Do you think this is a China Unicom branded CPE Pro?
https://www.router-switch.com/china-unicom-5g-cpe-vn007.html

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2022, 07:24:07 PM »

No.

I very much doubt Huawei devices are cloned in any way as they use their own custom SoC vs other manufacturers that use off-the-shelf SoCs.

Its a blessing in that they seem quite tailor made for the task, but a curse as it means custom firmware is off the table. :(

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2023, 11:33:38 AM »

I'm in the process of moving over from Three to Smarty so got to run them both off the same tower at the same time which was curious as load balanced.

One on its own tends to be around:

Also seems the Three branded until is still lagging behind the retail on firmware updates.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2023, 11:41:39 AM by Alex Atkin UK »

anything