Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Openreach January FTTP Update  (Read 2479 times)

Reformed

• Reg Member
Openreach January FTTP Update
« on: January 25, 2022, 11:11:05 AM »

May be found at https://www.openreach.com/content/dam/openreach/openreach-dam-files/documents/Ultrafast_Full_Fibre_broadband_Build_Programme_January_2022.pdf

Many changes are either exchanges being added to this year's programme, presumably largely in response to altnet builds, and exchanges completing deployment.

craigski

• Reg Member
Re: Openreach January FTTP Update
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2022, 12:16:45 PM »

It does not show FTTP deployment related to BDUK, new sites/retro new-sites and other smaller scale
programmes or infill.

Does anyone know the reason that BDUK enabled exchanges are not listed in these documents?

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2022, 12:41:12 PM »

Does anyone know the reason that BDUK enabled exchanges are not listed in these documents?

What do you mean by BDUK enabled exchanges? Most if not all exchanges have some degree of BDUK deployments in them.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

craigski

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2022, 01:23:56 PM »

I mean if an exchange is enabled for FTTP via a Community/BDUK funded project with Openreach, why would it no be listed in the above document? It seems it only lists the commercial projects? page 85 says "It does not show FTTP deployment related to BDUK"

Reformed

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2022, 06:18:28 PM »

It deals with exchanges where a significant proportion of premises either have or will be enabled. BDUK has both rarely covered a large proportion of the premises an exchange has passed so far and isn't part of the commercial deployment so shouldn't be on here.

craigski

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2022, 06:34:20 PM »

What about if a community/BDUK project covered all properties on exchange?

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2022, 07:24:24 PM »

The winning suppliers for any BDUK Gigabit contracts have not yet been announced/awarded and may not be Openreach..

I also don't believe any Community Projects have upgraded an entire exchange to FTTP.

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2022, 07:56:13 PM »

Good to see my local exchange has now been added at last. I wonder if the recent announcement by an altnet looking to cover 30,000 properties in our town has anything to do with it 🤔 :P

Reformed

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2022, 08:41:35 PM »

Kinda: it has everything to do with it.

craigski

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2022, 09:34:06 AM »

If I go to thinkbroadband site, and search for my local exchange it says "FTTP Available". What is interesting is all the properties connected via copper to the local exchange have been enabled for FTTP, but the fibre actually goes to a different exchange.

When I discussed with Openreach survey team, they said all properties connected to exchange were going to be cabled for FTTP, I believe most have been enabled for order, and many are already live with FTTP service including mine.

However, the exchange has never appeared on any public roll out documents of FTTP, so I was just wondering why the public funded BDUK/Community projects do not appear in these type documents, there must be a reason, as it specifically says they are excluded page 85.

It would be nice to see a similar type document of BDUK Openreach enabled exchanges so we could see where 'our' money is being spent.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2022, 09:36:02 AM »

Parsons Green is an interesting one as they were a pilot area for G.Fast as far as I recall. That must confirm that it is dead.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2022, 03:16:32 PM »

May be found at https://www.openreach.com/content/dam/openreach/openreach-dam-files/documents/Ultrafast_Full_Fibre_broadband_Build_Programme_January_2022.pdf

Many changes are either exchanges being added to this year's programme, presumably largely in response to altnet builds, and exchanges completing deployment.

Responding to altnet seems a factor, three exchanges finally picked in Leicester, guess what, they all in the early activated cityfibre areas, who would have guessed. :)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 03:18:37 PM by Chrysalis »

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2022, 03:41:23 PM »

Love a good bit of capitalism, I does.

It works well for all concerned (especially financially), and TBH I'm rather glad OR have ramped up their FTTP programmes as the Ofcom mandated PIA scheme, (in my personal opinion), sees the alt-nets cherry-picking the high-density quick win areas, often leaving OR with no capacity in their own infrastructure to pull their own fibre cables in.

This is of course, the cut and thrust of business .... and long may it continue  ;) :) :) 

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2022, 11:19:55 PM »

Love a good bit of capitalism, I does.

It works well for all concerned (especially financially), and TBH I'm rather glad OR have ramped up their FTTP programmes as the Ofcom mandated PIA scheme, (in my personal opinion), sees the alt-nets cherry-picking the high-density quick win areas, often leaving OR with no capacity in their own infrastructure to pull their own fibre cables in.

This is of course, the cut and thrust of business .... and long may it continue  ;) :) :) 

The question how have openreach got this far into this program to have these cherry-picked areas not even in their own plans, only as recent as 6 months ago openreach informed me the area was not financially viable. :p

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2022, 12:59:15 AM »

Parsons Green is an interesting one as they were a pilot area for G.Fast as far as I recall. That must confirm that it is dead.

Not sure we need confirmation, its only logical to get rid of copper services wherever possible as its much more labour intensive to maintain.  The catch has always been the obligation to provide LLU.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors
Pages: [1] 2