Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Openreach January FTTP Update  (Read 2485 times)

Reformed

• Reg Member
Re: Openreach January FTTP Update
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2022, 01:13:37 AM »

Tons of G.fast has been overbuilt with FTTP now. The big evidence it's not being pursued might well be that 9 months ago Openreach passed 2.831 million premises with G.fast and as of this month passed 2.831 million premises.

The pods seem to be finding far better use as extra VDSL capacity.

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2022, 03:23:05 PM »

I attach the coverage stats OR released this week

Looks like just over 10% of properties passed by G.Fast have installed - and the figure is increasing.

Surprised it's so high tbh
« Last Edit: February 05, 2022, 03:31:00 PM by gt94sss2 »

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2022, 11:01:09 AM »

Tons of G.fast has been overbuilt with FTTP now. The big evidence it's not being pursued might well be that 9 months ago Openreach passed 2.831 million premises with G.fast and as of this month passed 2.831 million premises.

The pods seem to be finding far better use as extra VDSL capacity.

Uninteresting fact: At one point in the past, if a full PON (up to 120 premises) was captured within the G.fast elipse zone (200/250mtrs from memory ??), then we wouldn't provide FTTP for that particular PON.

It would still be surveyed for blockages, poling, CBT/Joint locations, amount of stores required, costings, etc ... plus capacity will be left at the splitter. So, if and when an increase from 330Mbps is necessary/mandatory, the uplift would be quite quick to put in place. 

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2022, 07:10:41 PM »

Uninteresting fact: At one point in the past, if a full PON (up to 120 premises) was captured within the G.fast elipse zone (200/250mtrs from memory ??), then we wouldn't provide FTTP for that particular PON.

It would still be surveyed for blockages, poling, CBT/Joint locations, amount of stores required, costings, etc ... plus capacity will be left at the splitter. So, if and when an increase from 330Mbps is necessary/mandatory, the uplift would be quite quick to put in place. 

One thing has been bothering me, what is it Openreach refer to as a "PON" if the actual PON only covers 32 properties max?
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2022, 07:57:43 PM »

It's an affectionate term - PON by its true definition is a helluva lot larger, but it's easier for us to quickly chat about PON's as opposed to Splitter Nodes ... especially when you are mentioning them hundreds of times a day  ::) :).

For info - a PON (Splitter Node) is provisioned for 120 premises (not 32), maximum. Yes, there are grey area's where we can up this, but as a rule, it is 120 THP (Total Homes Passed).

I think you are referring to the SASA (Splitter Array Sub Assembly), which splits the one fibre light into 32 separate lights. A PON will have a maximum of 4 x SASA's in the large joint in which it is housed. Out of the 32 potential light sources, only 30 will be used - ergo 4 x 30 = 120THP.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2022, 12:46:51 AM »

So are all 120 on the same signal?  Would seem a bit high a contention ratio if so vs 30 which actually seems somewhat low.

Mind you nothing like CityFibre where if they are using GPON a single customer uploading could eat all or almost all the bandwidth (though I presume TDMA actually guarantees everyone gets a fair share in this scenario?).
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2022, 01:02:26 AM »

An Openreach splitter node contains up to 4 GPON splitters (SASA's as BS says).
A maximum of 30 lines per SASA, making a total of 120.
120 is fed by 4 fibres.

BS is using Openreach speak for PON.
In GPON terms it's a 32 way split, but 2 must be kept spare.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2022, 05:15:19 AM »

What’s the two spare about?

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2022, 10:37:11 AM »

What’s the two spare about?

Simply put - future proofing. That is why we have to request permission from way up high, to use these spares.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2022, 05:30:26 AM »

BS is using Openreach speak for PON.
In GPON terms it's a 32 way split, but 2 must be kept spare.

What threw me was:
PON by its true definition is a helluva lot larger

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2022, 09:27:05 AM »

Pleased to see my exchange on the list, but sadly in the third column.

That vague timeline is annoying, basically somewhere between 22 and December 26.

Maybe time to dust off the FTTPoD quotes.
AAISP 1000/115 FTTP routed by opnsense on proxmox. Even my WiFi is baller

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2022, 04:36:17 PM »

Maybe time to dust off the FTTPoD quotes.

Aren't they refusing FTTPoD when your area is "in scope" of a commercial rollout though?

Its somewhat annoying as you would think they would let you pay to jump the queue.

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2022, 06:28:14 PM »

Aren't they refusing FTTPoD when your area is "in scope" of a commercial rollout though?

Its somewhat annoying as you would think they would let you pay to jump the queue.

Really?

Doesn’t that mean everyone now then? Practically all areas are in scope up to 2026?

At this point I’m happy to pay up
AAISP 1000/115 FTTP routed by opnsense on proxmox. Even my WiFi is baller

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2022, 11:54:39 AM »

Interestingly, it was just brought up in the commons how the urban FTTP rollout from Openreach is not up to what was expected but of course their rollout in rural areas is one of the best in the world.  The government of course ignored the former comment.
Pages: 1 [2]

anything