Announcements > Site & Forum Discussion

Spam? to email used on these forums

(1/2) > >>

jelv:
I've received a few emails recently with links to a survey on bmetrack (which itself seems legit). The latest is "BONUS: $50 SAINSBURY Gift Card Opportunity".

The email receiving it is kitz@<mydomain> - obviously not used for anyone else.

The reward in dollars not pounds is a bit of a giveaway!

Anyone else getting these?

parkdale:
Yes I've had a few, as you pointed out $$  ;) bit of a give away!! all forwarded to report@phishing.gov.uk.
Sent from address changes each time!

kitz:
Hi jelv.

Thanks for reporting this.

I've been doing some checks and there is no sign of any compromise.  The only person who has logged into the server is from my IP address2 weeks ago.    Although I do get quite a lot of spam the vast majority is to web@.   I have not had anything to the email address I use for this forum in my name nor to the admin account.   I've also run a check on the site security which is clean.

All I can think is that it may be related to matters which were discussed in this thread regarding the mysterious pyrotechnics and or the discussion of bots harvesting emails based on forum names.   I myself get a fair amount of dictionary spam but its also surprising the no of distinct names that I get spam to.   

smiggy:
Received spam today sent to my unique forum email address: "Did you receive your package?"

Has a hack/breach been acknowledged previously?

j0hn:

--- Quote from: smiggy on March 10, 2023, 02:18:45 PM ---Has a hack/breach been acknowledged previously?

--- End quote ---

Nope.

I tend to use an already well spammed Gmail address for registering on forums and that's the email I have registered here so can't comment specifically on the kitz site.

I've had spam sent to an email address that has NEVER been registered anywhere. Never sent or received an email from the address but it has received 2 spam emails in the 7 years it's been registered.
It's a pretty unique domain too.

I also use Gmail and often set individual addresses for different sites.
I have mygmail+bank@gmail.com registered with my bank only and that has received spam very recently after many years of nothing at all. I don't believe the bank has been breached.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version