Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Please recommended a Mesh system.  (Read 3627 times)

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: Please recommended a Mesh system.
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2022, 03:08:01 PM »

I've been looking over some of the set up "guides" for the Audience  :no:

I hope you're prepared for a number of questions on a thread near here soon!  ???

Prepared for Questions, setup looks quite simple: https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/UM/Audience

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2022, 08:41:08 PM »

I'm also thinking about whether it might be a good idea to put the Audience in the roof space or just centrally in the house. The idea behind putting it in the roof space is to get it above the walls (some of which are brick).

In theory that would be a great idea, in practice you never know until you try as its hard to predict how WiFi reacts to your specific house materials.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2022, 08:00:14 AM »

I'm always very cautious about putting electronics in the loft due to the vast temperature swings that are seen there, the high temperatures in the Summer especially so. I'm sure it can't be good for longevity.
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2022, 10:12:38 AM »

A good point, though my friend has had his cable router in the loft for YEARS and amazingly it hasn't died.

My PC that was up there on the other hand.....
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

TylerDurden

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2022, 03:16:32 PM »

Well the Audience arrived and I've plugged it in and positioned it next to my EE Smart Router.
I've installed some WiFi Analyser software on my laptop and done some testing.
I can conclude that it's range (at least with default settings) is no better, in fact possibly worse, than the EE Smart Router.

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2022, 10:35:59 AM »

Ok,

What software version are you using, can you send your wireless config minus ssid and passwords, from terminal for example:

Code: [Select]
/interface wireless
set [ find default-name=wlan1 ] band=2ghz-onlyn country="united kingdom" disabled=no frequency=2472 installation=indoor mode=ap-bridge ssid=MikroTik \
    wireless-protocol=802.11
set [ find default-name=wlan2 ] band=5ghz-n/ac channel-width=20/40/80mhz-Ceee country="united kingdom" disabled=no frequency=auto installation=indoor mode=ap-bridge ssid=\
    MikroTik wireless-protocol=802.11
set [ find default-name=wlan3 ] band=5ghz-a/n/ac channel-width=20/40/80mhz-XXXX country="united kingdom" disabled=no frequency=auto installation=indoor mode=ap-bridge \
    skip-dfs-channels=all ssid=MikroTik wireless-protocol=802.11 wps-mode=disabled

TylerDurden

• Reg Member
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2022, 11:16:46 AM »

Ok,

What software version are you using, can you send your wireless config minus ssid and passwords, from terminal for example:

Code: [Select]
/interface wireless
set [ find default-name=wlan1 ] band=2ghz-onlyn country="united kingdom" disabled=no frequency=2472 installation=indoor mode=ap-bridge ssid=MikroTik \
    wireless-protocol=802.11
set [ find default-name=wlan2 ] band=5ghz-n/ac channel-width=20/40/80mhz-Ceee country="united kingdom" disabled=no frequency=auto installation=indoor mode=ap-bridge ssid=\
    MikroTik wireless-protocol=802.11
set [ find default-name=wlan3 ] band=5ghz-a/n/ac channel-width=20/40/80mhz-XXXX country="united kingdom" disabled=no frequency=auto installation=indoor mode=ap-bridge \
    skip-dfs-channels=all ssid=MikroTik wireless-protocol=802.11 wps-mode=disabled

Thanks for the offer of support. I have only turned it on an haven't done any set up.  All I have done was look at the graphs in the wifi analyser program on my laptop.  This is almost certainly not a proper test, but it was enough for me to think the range is not what I was hoping for.

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2022, 11:28:13 AM »

Thanks for the offer of support. I have only turned it on an haven't done any set up.  All I have done was look at the graphs in the wifi analyser program on my laptop.  This is almost certainly not a proper test, but it was enough for me to think the range is not what I was hoping for.

Let me know when you have time to go through, as Mikrotik are a Latvian manufacturer the defaults are very EU safe, the power level, frequencies available and range increase as soon as you set the correct region etc.

TylerDurden

• Reg Member
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2022, 10:34:50 AM »

I see from this thread that the default is actually the highest power, and that selecting any country option will actually make it less powerful.
https://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?t=121907

TylerDurden

• Reg Member
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2022, 11:00:11 AM »

I tried setting to UK and it made no difference to me.
From a couple of rooms away I was at -70dBm no matter what the setting.

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2022, 11:07:59 AM »

I see from this thread that the default is actually the highest power, and that selecting any country option will actually make it less powerful.
https://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?t=121907

:shrug2: I'm not sure a random post from nearly 5 years ago on the Mikrotik Forum is relevant.
The Mikrotik Audience was released in Autumn/Fall 2019.
Mikrotik update their software frequently: https://mikrotik.com/download/changelogs
The release in May 2017 was 6.39.1, there's been around 70 software releases and firmware upgrades since then.
If you click on any changelog you will see wireless improvements that have been made.

What RouterOS and Routerboard versions are you using?

TylerDurden

• Reg Member
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2022, 11:24:12 AM »

My Audience is using RouterOS v6.48.3
Routerboard 6.45.9

TylerDurden

• Reg Member
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2022, 11:27:52 AM »

Actually, just updated Routerboard to 6.48.3

TylerDurden

• Reg Member
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2022, 11:43:42 AM »

I have now set up the EE router and the MikroTik at the far corner of the house.  In the opposite corner I get the following results on a laptop WiFi Analyzer.

EE 5g -72dBm
MikroTik -76dBm

EE 2g -53dBm
MikroTik -66dBm
« Last Edit: January 20, 2022, 11:50:54 AM by TylerDurden »

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2022, 04:56:07 PM »

Let me know when you share your wireless configuration.
Pages: 1 [2] 3