Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: 10Gbps FTTP  (Read 8031 times)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: 10Gbps FTTP
« Reply #60 on: February 13, 2022, 09:33:30 PM »

I'm waiting on stock for the Netgear MS510TXUP to add more 10Gbit ports to the core network and so the main switch can become the media/console switch with multi-gig and fibre uplink instead of copper.  Plus I wanted SNMP on the second switch so I can monitor traffic better.

If I had a network closet I would have gone with a used enterprise switch from the start, but everything is on a shelf in the hallway so can't be too whiny or you'd hear it in every room.

Unfortunately I upgraded mum to a NUC so the only chance of getting her above 1Gbit would be expensive Thunderbolt adapters.  I tried USB which works, but they take too long to come up on boot and break the boot-time NFS mounts.  Plus I'm using the single USB-C port for the monitor as its so much neater than thick Displayport cables.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2022, 09:41:01 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Reformed

• Reg Member
« Reply #61 on: February 14, 2022, 11:26:14 AM »

Have tons of 10G ports but cabling is a challenge so the more I can send down a single cable the better.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #62 on: February 15, 2022, 12:48:44 AM »

Can you aggregate some of your 10G pipes into one cable perhaps, or is that not workable ? Or LACP say?

Reformed

• Reg Member
« Reply #63 on: February 15, 2022, 07:18:42 AM »

LACP requires multiple physical links to be used, as would a port channel of multiple links. Need multiple links going into a switch with an SFP28 port and that can then talk to the existing SFP28 at the other side.

Or I purchase new switches on both, leaving 20 unused ports each side and making 2 8 port switches redundant.

Or I move some equipment around and change the path so it's not the current 'tromboning' and then upgrade if spine capacity becomes an issue though it shouldn't do with any regularity. Simultaneously using the full Internet and on that same switch in the same direction transferring between there and NAS isn't going to be common.

Reformed

• Reg Member
« Reply #64 on: March 16, 2022, 03:22:17 PM »

Selling 10G over XGSPON isn't feasible for residential customers. It is only capable of 9.2 or so after overheads and any other usage on the PON will cause visible contention.

Was wrong here - it's actually about 8.5G over XGSPON.

https://youtu.be/VK1Tt6v-vWU

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #65 on: March 16, 2022, 08:03:29 PM »

Was wrong here - it's actually about 8.5G over XGSPON.

:swoon:  Yeah the whole point is that if you have the capacity on the back-haul anyway, might as well let the customers use it than have artificial profile caps and spare capacity being unused.

[Moderator edited to remove the unnecessary link to the YouTube video.]
« Last Edit: March 17, 2022, 03:18:19 PM by burakkucat »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Reformed

• Reg Member
« Reply #66 on: March 16, 2022, 08:54:26 PM »

That happens plenty on both XGSPON and GPON, a single customer being sold all the capacity and having an 'up to' speed of the full PON.

Can't be done in the UK due to advertising regulations.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #67 on: March 17, 2022, 10:00:39 AM »

Can't be done in the UK due to advertising regulations.

Seems to be what a lot of the alt-nets are doing for upstream though, as presumably thats not covered by the advertising regulations?

Reformed

• Reg Member
« Reply #68 on: March 17, 2022, 10:05:59 AM »

Nearly. The gigabit over GPON services leave a couple of hundred Mb available to other customers. Seem to be enough customers in lightly loaded areas to be able to do this and hit the numbers.

Selling uncapped the ISP has to manage allocation of capacity more and unless they've extensive data be very cautious with the advertising.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #69 on: March 17, 2022, 10:32:17 AM »

A lot of my data usage is off-peak hours so it tends to work well, much better I'd expect on FTTP rather than mobile services which are just all over the place in the day time and periodically go mental during peak hours (200ms+ spikes when idle).  Even 5G doesn't seem to have fixed that, presumably due to not being standalone mode yet and upstream having a harder time reaching the mast due to the obstructions I have.

It should certainly be interesting once I have the choice of OR and CityFibre, but I suspect thats another year or two away for the latter as they don't seem to be moving very quickly (presumably as they have to install cabinets so they seem to have only done areas with existing ones for now vs OR which do not have that issue).

Even so, watching one.network feels like OR are moving at a glacial pace too.  I suspect once all ducts are cleared things will seem to move a whole lot faster.

Reformed

• Reg Member
« Reply #70 on: March 18, 2022, 12:03:01 AM »

There's a flurry of activity which then dies down.

If you have a look at somewhere like Brighton you can see that burst.

Sheffield has a bunch of activity from VM lined up which is positive.

It's a good sign when Openreach duct clearance dies down. Should indicate they are cabling and splicing.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #71 on: March 19, 2022, 07:31:59 AM »

Yes, I would not be surprised if VM roll out FTTP too here as they curiously did some work this end of the street that was never cabled.  Could be that with OR and CityFibre covering it soon and duct sharing being presumably easier for fibre, that they finally see the appeal.

Reformed

• Reg Member
« Reply #72 on: March 19, 2022, 11:10:26 AM »

Could be that with OR and CityFibre covering it soon and duct sharing being presumably easier for fibre, that they finally see the appeal.

It's happened elsewhere!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]