Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: 10Gbps FTTP  (Read 8167 times)

Reformed

• Reg Member
Re: 10Gbps FTTP
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2022, 03:13:04 PM »

No, the Pensando DSC-100 Distributed Services Card in it is doing the business. The PC doesn't have to be especially fast.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2022, 03:28:47 PM »

Here is a link to the product brief of the Pensando DSC-100. (A PDF document.)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2022, 06:08:36 PM »

Wow that looks like some piece of kit. I would like to read some detail. It seems to be a hardware and software three ring circus.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2022, 08:14:33 PM »

Wow that looks like some piece of kit. I would like to read some detail. It seems to be a hardware and software three ring circus.

If you start from here, you may find some further reading material.

Reformed

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2022, 09:27:08 PM »

https://youtu.be/_zSqft0cSfk might well be interesting.

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2022, 04:38:48 PM »

Just for fun I punched the figures into Cisco's performance estimator (ngfwpe.cisco.com).  With all firewall features enabled it recommends an FPR4125 which would be running at 70% capacity assuming default mix of packet sizes.  There's a lot of high level security going on, so you could go a lot smaller and less expensive if you only want Layer 3 firewall.

For most of us I suspect 10gig to the home is so far away that current products aren't really relevant.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2022, 09:36:05 PM »

I wonder what is preventing 10G to the home. I suspect there will be little demand because of the limitations of WLANs for people who think that ‘wi-fi’ is the internet and the rest of us alike. But isn’t it true to say that once fibre is run in then the only thing preventing more speed is the PON hardware and replacing that is cheap and easy relatively speaking?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2022, 09:41:33 PM by Weaver »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2022, 10:21:38 PM »

. . . isn’t it true to say that once fibre is run in then the only thing preventing more speed is the PON hardware and replacing that is cheap and easy relatively speaking?

Yes. The fibre has a massive bandwidth. So to upgrade just replace the optics in the OLT at the head-end and replace each ONT at the users' ends.

Reformed

• Reg Member
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2022, 12:07:21 AM »

Ofcom / ASA regulations. Selling 10G over XGSPON isn't feasible for residential customers. It is only capable of 9.2 or so after overheads and any other usage on the PON will cause visible contention.

Elsewhere in the world this is okay as services may be sold at 'up to' but this isn't the case in the UK so we'll probably have to wait for 25G or higher before 10 is a residential product.

I may be able to purchase 10G over XGSPON in the near future but don't think even I can justify it  :D

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2022, 03:04:21 AM »

Plus if they roll out straight to XGSPON it could be contended with up to 64 users vs GPON 32.

I wonder if Openreach will switch to XGSPON once a PON reaches its limit as presumably "technically" a PON might cover more than 30 customers and there is an assumption they wont all go on FTTP any time soon?  Or are they literally laying it where a PON will only ever cover 30 customers so XGSPON would have less contention than other countries rollouts?

Even I can't see a huge benefit in over a Gigabit any time soon, though XGSPON makes symmetrical more practical.

Are CityFibre using GPON or XGSPON given their service IS symmetrical?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2022, 03:07:07 AM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2022, 06:27:13 AM »

A symmetrical service would be a big draw for me, given that backups are a nightmare.

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2022, 08:35:29 AM »

There's also backhaul and ISP peering to consider.  If an exchange had say 100 - 1000 10Gig customers, how much backhaul would the ISP need to keep those customers happy?  Then at the ISP end multiply that by say 100-100 exchanges, how much Internet capacity would be needed, also I guess DNS and content caching performance.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2022, 10:29:11 AM »

Plus if they roll out straight to XGSPON it could be contended with up to 64 users vs GPON 32.

Some networks run GPON on a 128:1 split.

I wonder if Openreach will switch to XGSPON once a PON reaches its limit as presumably "technically" a PON might cover more than 30 customers and there is an assumption they wont all go on FTTP any time soon?

Very unlikely any time soon. On the 1000/115 product Openreach only guarantee the provider 110Mb/s.
It would take a lot to saturate a PON beyond that.

Same as Openreach. GPON at 32:1
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Reformed

• Reg Member
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2022, 10:45:42 AM »

I wonder if Openreach will switch to XGSPON once a PON reaches its limit as presumably "technically" a PON might cover more than 30 customers and there is an assumption they wont all go on FTTP any time soon?  Or are they literally laying it where a PON will only ever cover 30 customers so XGSPON would have less contention than other countries rollouts?

Even I can't see a huge benefit in over a Gigabit any time soon, though XGSPON makes symmetrical more practical.

GPON goes to 128 but it's a bad idea. You've just sliced another 6 dBm from the optical receive power at the ONT and increased loss, forcing transmit power to go higher. With the way the networks are built it adds complication hanging 4 x 32 port splitters off a 4

Openreach have shown no signs of being interested in XGSPON overlay. They have no XGSPON ONTs, and no interest in offering symmetrical even when the deploy XGSPON. New build sites are fibre only, so 30-32 customers per split.

CityFibre have both GPON and XGSPON on their network however the XGSPON tends to be used for mobile backhaul rather than delivery to end customer premises. The GPON is just accepting there may be some visible contention.

Reformed

• Reg Member
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2022, 10:51:00 AM »

There's also backhaul and ISP peering to consider.  If an exchange had say 100 - 1000 10Gig customers, how much backhaul would the ISP need to keep those customers happy?

A pair of 40G links would be ample both for capacity and resilience - should run fine even with just one of the 40G in place. Source: the 10/25G ISPs being able to run 25G services with dual 100G backhaul - quadruple your largest customer's capacity per OLT seems to be the sweet spot especially as it's so difficult to consume that much bandwidth.

Then at the ISP end multiply that by say 100-100 exchanges, how much Internet capacity would be needed, also I guess DNS and content caching performance.

At this point you have a CDN in the exchange next to your edge router. Sky already have CDNs in the largest exchanges and this number will only grow as time goes on.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5